Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2022, 14:26   #16

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Bali Catspace, opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffinPuff View Post

That said, I know enough to know what the wind was doing. it was true windspeed.

Assuming the wind angle was apparent - Taking your numbers the TWA = 84 degrees and AWS = 7.7 knots. This is about the best possible angle to sail at. Achieving about 70% of wind speed. With relatively low speeds the drag remains quite small. Not bad but a performance cruiser should be able to achieve 100% or even 130% wind speed under similar conditions.

How heavily loaded was the boat as this will have a significant effect?
Old 07-12-2022, 00:30   #17

Lightly loaded
Old 20-10-2023, 09:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffinPuff View Post
I know people are saying that the boat doesn't sail in light air, but it sailed fine with me. Not sure what they are referring to. I have not tried pointing to wind in higher sea states. But the captain that will be sailing the boat from france sails the bali often and says it sails just fine

I also keep hearing that not having a trampeline is dangerous.. but there are plenty of cats out there without trampolines that seem to do well.

I do agree the boom is a bit high. I am able to see the top of the boom and work a problem, but agree, that you have to come up with a safety solution for working an issue on the beam in high seas.

Yes, the flybridge is exposed. You have to walk around to get to it. That said there are a ton of boats with exposed cockpits that are blue water cruisers and to be honest with you, I have avoided sailing those boats for that reason.

But as you say, everything is a compromise... having that apartment interior for the wife is important... so coming up with a way to keep the bridge safe will be a top priority. I am sure I will think of something.
Which one did you sail?
Old 24-10-2023, 05:05   #19

Boat: 2018 Bali 4.1, 1987 Hunter 34, 2005 Seafox 21'

If you were buying this cat, and believe it's a good sailing boat, the first question I'd ask is exactly how many of them are delivered on their own bottom? Might be zero.[/QUOTE]

Uninformed statement. My Bali sailed from France to Bermuda and then to Florida. Come on guys.
Old 24-10-2023, 07:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGERTHA View Post
If you were buying this cat, and believe it's a good sailing boat, the first question I'd ask is exactly how many of them are delivered on their own bottom? Might be zero.

Uninformed statement. My Bali sailed from France to Bermuda and then to Florida. Come on guys.[/QUOTE]

We met this guy in Hunnebostrand Sweden in 2019 (i think Riley from LaVagabond met him (Sven?) later on along the way and did a video on him) Now, if he can make it across the Atlantic, I'm confident with the right weather window a Bali can as well.
Old 24-10-2023, 07:20   #21

sorry photo didn't attach the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow boat.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	282550  
Old 24-10-2023, 07:33   #22

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
Uninformed statement. My Bali sailed from France to Bermuda and then to Florida. Come on guys.

We met this guy in Hunnebostrand Sweden in 2019 (i think Riley from LaVagabond met him (Sven?) later on along the way and did a video on him) Now, if he can make it across the Atlantic, I'm confident with the right weather window a Bali can as well.[/QUOTE]In the right weather perhaps. Just keep the garage boat completely closed on the Bali. If it fails in open stage due to the boat twisting in rough weather you'd have a big problem.

But, don't misjudge Sven Yrvind's boats, the are tiny but very seaworthy for the is size. He's a legend and has done countless offshore trips on his boats.
All designed, built and sailed by the man himself.
Old 19-11-2023, 11:50   #23

Well i said I would give you my feedback on the bali after I got it. Here you go.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ew-281447.html
Old 01-03-2024, 16:42   #24

I own a 2021 Bali Catspace. My wife and I have been cruising with West Coast of CA for a couple of years. Love to hear from other owners or those who have cruised a Catspace.
Old 01-03-2024, 19:35   #25

I own a 2021 Bali Catspace. My wife and I have been cruising with West Coast of CA for a couple of years. Love to hear from other owners or those who have cruised a Catspace or any Bali Cat.
Old 17-06-2024, 12:36   #26

Boat: Freedom 40/40, Compass 47

Just completed 2 week charter in the Bahamas.

This Catspace 40 OW was sailed from France on it's own bottom, and according to the log, made very good time.

I would be concerned about long term reliability of "garage door" but if it broke I am sure you could get it down, and the issue would be solved, as it would now be like every other catamaran..

This boat has been in charter for one year, it has some serious design issues that should have been remedied prior to this boat being built:

1) Starboard holding tank is much too small, supporting two heads

2) Starboard (guest cabin) doors open inward, why? Plenty of room to open "out" into “hallway,” preventing interference with en-suite head doors. On the forward cabin these doors became interlocked preventing access to this cabin, resolved by entering cabin through deck hatch, if this had happened to aft cabin, access would have been from the water through emergency access escape hatch.
3) Trim of vessel results in pooling water on fore-deck in multiple locations, most annoyingly at fwd starboard cabin deck hatch, water must be cleared away before this hatch can be opened after any sea spray or rain.
4) Electrical panel and breakers. Bali is not alone with this problem, it seems to be an epidemic: they should all be accessible, clearly labeled, and not buried behind cabinet doors. Not as bad as the Dufour 56 I chartered last year, but still completely unacceptable. 40+ unlabeled 12 volt mini breakers!!!
5) Some kind of standard dodger for piloting in the rain, the Raymarine chart plotter didn't even work in the driving rain I was piloting in!
6) Anchor snuber, difficult to set and use, anchor chain should be accessible from deck when anchor has been deployed, again poor design. Very common "problem" on cats, never a problem on any monohull that I have owned, sailed or chartered.

I didn't have any mechanical systems issues so I will assume that access to engines, generator and steering gear, etc, was going to be okay. Loved the garage door, there should be a way to air-condition the cabin when the door is down. Generally a lovely boat
Old 17-06-2024, 23:34   #27

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Blue View Post
Just completed 2 week charter in the Bahamas.

This Catspace 40 OW was sailed from France on it's own bottom, and according to the log, made very good time.

I would be concerned about long term reliability of "garage door" but if it broke I am sure you could get it down, and the issue would be solved, as it would now be like every other catamaran..

This boat has been in charter for one year, it has some serious design issues that should have been remedied prior to this boat being built:

1) Starboard holding tank is much too small, supporting two heads

2) Starboard (guest cabin) doors open inward, why? Plenty of room to open "out" into “hallway,” preventing interference with en-suite head doors. On the forward cabin these doors became interlocked preventing access to this cabin, resolved by entering cabin through deck hatch, if this had happened to aft cabin, access would have been from the water through emergency access escape hatch.
3) Trim of vessel results in pooling water on fore-deck in multiple locations, most annoyingly at fwd starboard cabin deck hatch, water must be cleared away before this hatch can be opened after any sea spray or rain.
4) Electrical panel and breakers. Bali is not alone with this problem, it seems to be an epidemic: they should all be accessible, clearly labeled, and not buried behind cabinet doors. Not as bad as the Dufour 56 I chartered last year, but still completely unacceptable. 40+ unlabeled 12 volt mini breakers!!!
5) Some kind of standard dodger for piloting in the rain, the Raymarine chart plotter didn't even work in the driving rain I was piloting in!
6) Anchor snuber, difficult to set and use, anchor chain should be accessible from deck when anchor has been deployed, again poor design. Very common "problem" on cats, never a problem on any monohull that I have owned, sailed or chartered.

I didn't have any mechanical systems issues so I will assume that access to engines, generator and steering gear, etc, was going to be okay. Loved the garage door, there should be a way to air-condition the cabin when the door is down. Generally a lovely boat
I'm just back from two weeks on a Catspace as well out of St Martin. My snagging list was almost identical to yours. Great charter boat, absolutely loved the garage door. Definitely need an air conditioning unit in the galley/salon area. The 40+ breakers were labelled on my boat but on the plastic covers over the breakers. These 4 covers appeared to have been replaced in an incorrect order.

The stern down trim was the most annoying issue as rain water collected under all the seat cushions and just stayed there meaning you had to remove each cushion every time it rained or, preferably every time it might rain.

As I said earlier, great charter boat, would I want to own one, no.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Closed Thread