Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2021, 15:17   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Bali Catspace, opinions?

I have not seen anything threads on this boat. Very interesting for coastal cruising I think. No trampoline up front, hard deck! Great space up by the helm. Completely open cockpit to cabin layout. Seems great for cruising the carrib and other places.

No idea how it sails compared the big 3's offerings.

Anyone been on one or sailed one?
Old 13-08-2021, 15:50   #2

Re: Bali Catspace, opinions?

Bali’s are not popular on these forums as far as I can tell. Quality on the early models left a lot to be desired and the interiors were pretty basic. From what I understand they made huge improvements in both areas, but the early impressions persist.

On top of that, the solid deck is divisive (I’m for it), I’ve heard the small mainsail makes sailing in light wind difficult, and the boom is so high you have to climb the mast to even touch the main.

Despite all that… I can’t remove the Catspace from my list. The idea the the outdoor space and indoor space are the same, based on your (and the weathers) mood is just too appealing from a comfort standpoint. Will be taking a close look in Annapolis.
Old 13-08-2021, 17:09   #3

I took a good hard look at the Bali's before eventually deciding to purchase a leopard. The Bali's looked great, the full size fridge and garage door style back opening, plus the sliding windows appealed to me. Ultimately I decided against it because I don't intend to stay in the Caribbean forever and do intend to eventually get out into the pacific.. The thought of that big of a chunk of the boat rattling in bigger waves or rough weather just didn't appeal to me. It's also one more thing to maintain and possibly break. The foredeck on the Bali looks great, but I also like the way the newer leopards have the front seating area, plus a nice shaded overhang from the roof. I guess I just felt that would make the area more useful and help keep the boat cooler. Plus, having a household sized refrigerator deciding to wander across the boat in a large swell or storm, (I don't know how they're secured to the boat) kind of concerned me. Also, parts availability in the event something breaks. If I'm in a less developed country, I feel a more common boat will be easier to get parts for or work done on.. Had I intended to remain in the Caribbean.. Well.. TBH, I may just be trying to close on a Bali right now... It's not like it's a long haul to get to a place to get work done or parts are hard to get there...

Anyways, that's my $0.02 for what it's worth.
Old 13-08-2021, 17:22   #4

Boat: Hanse 348

glad people are thinking like me. I really like the concepts here. Also, it seems for a 40 ft cat, the pricing is very good. Can outfit really well for about 500k.

I would be interested in knowing how many they have made. Supposedly they come over on their own bottoms, so ocean crossing. I haven't heard of them having issues with the foredeck breaking in the oceans.
Old 13-08-2021, 17:33   #5

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
glad people are thinking like me. I really like the concepts here. Also, it seems for a 40 ft cat, the pricing is very good. Can outfit really well for about 500k.

I would be interested in knowing how many they have made. Supposedly they come over on their own bottoms, so ocean crossing. I haven't heard of them having issues with the foredeck breaking in the oceans.
I would determine first if they do cross anything large on their own. Do they still have the solid foredeck? As somebody who bought one told me, “they’reerfect for the design - hopping from one island to the next with minimal travel, lots of family and lots of fun in the sun.
Old 13-08-2021, 17:55   #6

Don't get me wrong, I really did like the boat and it's layout. Wasn't concerned at all with the foredeck breaking or build quality issues. The one I saw in Florida last time I was down there was REALLY nice. My concerns were more or less with the big wide rear door that lifts up to the roof and turns the back half of the boat into a huge indoor/outdoor space, the ability to get repairs outside the mainstream areas, and having the boom way the hell up there...
Old 14-08-2021, 01:44   #7

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I would determine first if they do cross anything large on their own. Do they still have the solid foredeck? As somebody who bought one told me, “they’reerfect for the design - hopping from one island to the next with minimal travel, lots of family and lots of fun in the sun.
I wouldn't worry about solid foredecks. Prouts have had them for close on 60 years and they've probably done more circumnavigations than any other cats (Lagoon might be catching them up by now though). I know solid foredecks don't seem like a great idea but they seem to work ok.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 04-12-2022, 19:22   #8

So I test sailed bali 4.0 last month in the med. The winds were around 6 knots and we were pointing off the wind about 50 degrees. I was really impressed that we hit 4.4 knots. We averages about 4.2. The SOW and SOG where the same... so no currents.

I really don't know why folks dog the boat. I had no issues with it.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:41   #9

My first suggestion is very clearly outline your plan with the boat. If it’s island hopping with large groups onboard with maybe an occasional overnight sail when the weather window and motoring more than average doesn’t bother you, then it’s a fine candidate.

All boats can be good decisions if properly used, and when they are used in ways that are not to their strong suit make sure extra prudence is used so that safety is not compromised.

Some good things to consider are it’s SA/D ratio & how this compares to its competitors, boom height & how accessible it is to you if you had to get up there in bad conditions, hull & bulkhead construction, how are the control lines routed and what type of protection do you have at the helm.

Then get out there and sail it, and 3-4 of its competitors, and maybe more of a performance boat with daggerboards as well just so you have a real understanding and good frame of reference for how this particular boat sails. If it speaks to you then go for it, who cares what anyone else thinks!
Old 05-12-2022, 06:14   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Great boat as long as you don't want to sail. Charter companies love it since nobody sails... Another problem is the ongoing quality issues althought they seem to improve a bit after replacing their factory manager in Tunisia. I respect everyone's view but I would never go offshore with this boat for many reasons..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 05-12-2022, 06:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Great boat as long as you don't want to sail. Charter companies love it since nobody sails... Another problem is the ongoing quality issues althought they seem to improve a bit after replacing their factory manager in Tunisia. I respect everyone's view but I would never go offshore with this boat for many reasons..

Cheers

Yeloya
Careful Yeloya! People get a tad testy around here if you speak of real-world experience with charter catamarans not bothering to sail. I agree with you that I'd never take one of these on an offshore passage, but hey there are people who've kayaked across the Atlantic so there are different risk tolerances out there for sure!

If you were buying this cat, and believe it's a good sailing boat, the first question I'd ask is exactly how many of them are delivered on their own bottom? Might be zero.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:46   #12

I know people are saying that the boat doesn't sail in light air, but it sailed fine with me. Not sure what they are referring to. I have not tried pointing to wind in higher sea states. But the captain that will be sailing the boat from france sails the bali often and says it sails just fine

I also keep hearing that not having a trampeline is dangerous.. but there are plenty of cats out there without trampolines that seem to do well.

I do agree the boom is a bit high. I am able to see the top of the boom and work a problem, but agree, that you have to come up with a safety solution for working an issue on the beam in high seas.

Yes, the flybridge is exposed. You have to walk around to get to it. That said there are a ton of boats with exposed cockpits that are blue water cruisers and to be honest with you, I have avoided sailing those boats for that reason.

But as you say, everything is a compromise... having that apartment interior for the wife is important... so coming up with a way to keep the bridge safe will be a top priority. I am sure I will think of something.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:03   #13

I looked at these and really loved the layout. IF I wanted to stay in the caribbean then I would get one.
I want to cross the pacific so I am likely going to end up with a Nautitech 44 open. I believe it will have better sailing characteristics although at a higher price point.
the classic Water boats">blue water boats (Outremer) are all way to far out in their build cycles for me to consider. And for right or wrong, I want a brand new boat
Old 06-12-2022, 10:15   #14

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffinPuff View Post
So I test sailed bali 4.0 last month in the med. The winds were around 6 knots and we were pointing off the wind about 50 degrees. I was really impressed that we hit 4.4 knots. We averages about 4.2. The SOW and SOG where the same... so no currents.

I really don't know why folks dog the boat. I had no issues with it.

Forgive me if I speak out of turn but you appear to be quite new to this.
Are we talking True Wind Speed or App Wind Speed, True Wind Angle or App Wind Angle? Either way we must assume a flat sea state.

Assessing a boat based on a single test especially in very light winds will not give you a good feeling for the overall performance.

Further to this as the speed increases the apparent wind is pulled forward the greater the effect of aerodynamic drag; a poorly streamlined boat that presents a large area to the wind will be at a disadvantage. The same way that the wind forces increase by a power of 4, doubling the wind speed increases the force by a factor of 4. So the faster a boat goes the closer it must sail to the wind (point) and the drag increases at the same rate.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:39   #15

Not offended. This is my first cat. Never sailed one before so I don't know much about them. When I got on it, I was really expecting it to be dog slow based on what I was told by many of my sailing friends. So as I was pleasently surprised it even moved.

I got on here to learn more about cats. Really haven't ventured on sailing forums before but I was told there was a lot of good info on these forums and if I was going to retire on a boat, I should be on here.

I sail quite a bit, had a 36ft hunter (the original) 19 years ago when I lived in Florida. Mostly sailed in lakes since I moved to Texas 15 years ago. I have a bunch of hobbies, so never really did much more than weekend sailing

That said, I know enough to know what the wind was doing. it was true windspeed.
Closed Thread