Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2023, 12:22   #16

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: BE AWARE FOUNTAINE PAJOT TOBAGO 35 - Sandy Bottoms - Vero Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullislandken View Post
I also “wasted” 3 grand looking at a Baba 40 in Deale, Maryland in May. I offered 90% of asking price and they countered at 95% so I said, “Ok, we can start there”. I flew from Montana to DC and I found things that needed attention BEFORE my surveyor showed up but I was still willing to move forward. When my surveyor’s list was larger than mine, I got quotes for a couple projects. The mast needed attention due to corrosion around fasteners and extensive surface corrosion. Just that quote was $25k. I then adjusted my offer by lowering it 6,000 dollars to a 90% offer. They refused and the broker immediately wanted to return my escrow money. The owners said they would not sell me the boat because, “you don’t love Sofia”. What a waste of money and time.
In the past buying and selling airplanes and collector cars I have written a sales contract which the seller and I sign that states among other things that if there are individual findings or the total of findings where the cost to fix exceeds some lowish threshold (say $1,000 on a $100k sale) the seller must either fix at his expense or pays for my survey. On the other hand if I walk away at a lower $ to fix, my deposit is non refundable.

A refusal to sign that agreement would be a huge red flag to me.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 15:00   #17

Boat: Shannon 38

I wish one of the techies on this forum would create software that allows people who have viewed a boat to post comments. We traveled across the state to look at some boats that were not as the broker described. I wish I could share the experiences and save someone the trouble of looking - or save me the trouble on other boats. Amazon has reviews, Google has reviews . . . but of course, not the boat selling sites.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:51   #18

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Lee View Post
I wish one of the techies on this forum would create software that allows people who have viewed a boat to post comments. ... reviews, Google has reviews . . . but of course, not the boat selling sites.
Just yesterday I was testing different options to do just this. I found some, but one of the problem is privacy. Some work as browser extensions that monitor what website you're on and let you know if there are comments by other users on said page. Software that tells someone where you are on the web at all times is not an easy sell.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 00:57   #19

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
I wish one of the techies on this forum would create software that allows people who have viewed a boat to post comments. We traveled across the state to look at some boats that were not as the broker described. I wish I could share the experiences and save someone the trouble of looking - or save me the trouble on other boats. Amazon has reviews, Google has reviews . . . but of course, not the boat selling sites.

Do they do this for houses ?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 08:01   #20

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:

Too many opportunities for people to sabotage someones attempt to sell their boat. If you could guarantee that every comment would be truthful, factual, and from a credible source, it might work, but I don't see any way for that to happen.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fountaine pajot, Tobago