Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2024, 08:22   #46

Boat: Gemini 105mc
Re: Be careful with buying Marsaudon TS42 / ORC 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
Sure, they could offer to make repairs at the owners expense.
Why would they wear the responsibility, cost or liability for repairs on a boat built 8 years ago by another yard and put in bareboat charter during the following two years?
1. They now own the yard and use the same yard to build their own boats
2. They literally bough the company, including all the employees and the CEO, during the litigation.
3. Brand value: I wouldn't trust the same people that built that boat and did not respect the warranty? I sure wouldn't
qwerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:27   #47

Boat: Lagoon 380

They bought the name and yard, but not the libailities. Quite common in bankrupcy purchases. In a way they did do something by buying the yard and name. Now the Administrator has funds to distribute to creditors. The guy should have never turned his boat over to the yard. Either he or his lawyers made a huge mistake. Now he will get paid out $.10 on the dollar. I don't feel bad for him at all. If GLY hadn't bought Marsaudon nothing would have changed for him.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:00   #48

Boat: Beneteau 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
They bought the name and yard, but not the libailities. Quite common in bankrupcy purchases. In a way they did do something by buying the yard and name. Now the Administrator has funds to distribute to creditors. The guy should have never turned his boat over to the yard. Either he or his lawyers made a huge mistake. Now he will get paid out $.10 on the dollar. I don't feel bad for him at all. If GLY hadn't bought Marsaudon nothing would have changed for him.

Cheyne
Perhaps the mistake was not having a time machine so they would know that Marsaudon would declare bankruptcy in the future, after he won his case and the court ordered a full refund. Right, anyone who doesn't have a time machine deserves what they get.
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:06   #49

Boat: Lagoon 380

His timeline he presented is they did file after he won. Why turn over the boat which he will never get back now after they filed bankrupcy? That was bad console from his lawyers. At least he could have paid to fix the boat. Marsaudon is a small builder. It is almost a given they will fail eventually.
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:56   #50

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

From Sailing Anarchy.

Last week we posted this video about a Marsaudon 42′ ORC catamaran with a **** ton of problems. We reached out to Marsaudon and Grand Large Yachting, and below is what GLY sent to us:

As an organization, Grand Large Yachting (GLY) does not publicly communicate or comment on individual situations. Nevertheless, Mr. Lawson’s video has created a lot of attention and reactions and, although we feel very sorry for him, we also feel we owe it to our stakeholders, our employees and more broadly to the sailors’ community to recall certain facts and clarify some points:

– Marsaudon declared bankruptcy and put itself under the protection of the Court in June 2023 pending an insolvency and restructuring procedure which was initiated during the Summer of 2023.

– GLY acquired certain assets of Marsaudon Composite (MC) in the fall of 2023 within the frame of a public procedure. Our offer provided that all 67 employees be retained, that the ORC boats currently under construction be completed and delivered to their owners without them suffering any prejudice after the liquidation of MC. Our offer also included a financial contribution to the receivership administration to pay the creditors. Our offer was selected by the Tribunal as the best offer on 12 September 2023.

– Mr Lawson’s boat was built by MC in 2016, a shipyard that was sold to a new management team in 2018.

– Consequently, we are neither the designer nor the builder of Mr Lawson’s boat and we are in no position to comment on its technical issues, let alone be responsible in any way.

– The Lorient facility, under our management for the last 5 months, has been/is being brought up to the group’s standards both in terms of quality and control.

Obviously, GLY cannot be held liable for events that took place up to 7 years before our acquisition of the ORC brand nor for the way the receivership administration is dealing with the creditors, through a fully separate process. While we understand that Mr. Lawson suffers from this situation, there is no ground for Grand Large Yachting to be blamed.

More broadly, it is worth reminding that our acquisition of certain assets of MC has brought great positives for the employees, suppliers, as well as existing and future ORC boat owners.

Again, we feel sincerely sorry for Mr Lawson and we trust that you will understand GLY’s position.

Thank you

Xavier Desmarest
Co-founder Grand Large Yachting

I note the video has been taken down, so GLY has spent more money on lawyers than fixing the problem.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:41   #51

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerme View Post
1. They now own the yard and use the same yard to build their own boats
2. They literally bough the company, including all the employees and the CEO, during the litigation.
3. Brand value: I wouldn't trust the same people that built that boat and did not respect the warranty? I sure wouldn't
GLY have acquired other yards and have continued to produce quality boats in them. There are also a lot of very well made TS and ORC boats banging around Europe and the Caribbean that were also built in that yard. GLY would not take credit for them but I am sure it factored in to them making the purchase.

There is no question that there are legitimate build quality issues with this particular boat and it would be good if it was returned to the owner at the very least. It is early days and the liquidator hopefully will pay out the claim at some point?
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:47   #52

Boat: CM50 (launch 2025)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I note the video has been taken down
?
Still can see it.
ozolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:29   #53

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Certainly puts a dent on GLY brands for me. I hope the social media backlash is enough for them to do right by this guy.
Its enough for me not to deal with GLY....they bought the brand and all heritage with it if they like it or not.
And its also nowhere standing that the obvious quality and construction issues are fixed...just the general BS that the boatyard was brought up to GLY standards whatever that means.
For me a red flag and as outremer is part of that group that includes them too. Its really time that these methods also used by Lagoon fires back to them so they are forced to change...
Repost the video and make them aware that a behaviour to customer of this brand is absolutely unacceptable.
But thats today ****ing world, instead of acknowledge the problem and treat customers of your brand...they spend millions on laywers and public statements like that
What should happen is that video gets reposted, internet never fogets and burry them under a shitstorm so they learn their investment is 0 worth.

But no instead supporting this guy and dozen other people still by their products with handkiss...already be treaten like this is a noGo for me to ever get a lagoon or a neel as well as a Marsaudon.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:46   #54

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Did you buy one?
Deposit paid but decided to postpone the build for personal reasons, nothing to do with them. I have been to the yard on numerous occasions and raced on a new one last month, spectacular!

Quote:
How is warranty work handled? It's a new boat and there is always something?
You become part of the extended 'family' (sounds cheesy I know) and you just talk to them. No direct experience but from people I've spoken to (there about 6 Stealths moored in Chalong bay...) if there's a build issue they deal with it no questions. They are a really professional but friendly company and I've never heard of any issue.

Quote:
Ok will get in touch with them, sounds my cup of tea...only in the wrong location to move aboard with all my stuff but if time comes i find a solution if that works out...
Happy to chat directly about my experience if useful, DM me if you want.
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:03   #55

Boat: Gemini 105mc

Quote:
Its enough for me not to deal with GLY....they bought the brand and all heritage with it if they like it or not.
Exactly my point, no matter how legally right they are, by not taking care of this guy they messed up their brands and it will cost them way more in lost revenue than it would have cost to fix the guy's boat. IMO
qwerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:56   #56

Quote:
Exactly my point, no matter how legally right they are, by not taking care of this guy they messed up their brands and it will cost them way more in lost revenue than it would have cost to fix the guy's boat. IMO
Sadly not the case...eg Lagoon 450F still sell well also on the 2nd hand market but the bulkheads are literally breaking already in the marina...the fix they introduced is a joke and not up to fixing it permanently. Its a total misconstruction, the bulkhead are totally underdimensioned. Or look.at the goiot emergency hatch drama...only boat manufacturer who.told you to f.. yourself here is a glue on kit was Lagoon while all other replaced the hatches for free. And Lagoon still sells well...
Old 04-03-2024, 12:23   #57

Boat: Lagoon 380 (now sold)

Quote:
Sadly not the case...eg Lagoon 450F still sell well also on the 2nd hand market but the bulkheads are literally breaking already in the marina...the fix they introduced is a joke and not up to fixing it permanently. Its a total misconstruction, the bulkhead are totally underdimensioned. Or look.at the goiot emergency hatch drama...only boat manufacturer who.told you to f.. yourself here is a glue on kit was Lagoon while all other replaced the hatches for free. And Lagoon still sells well...
So true...sometimes I wonder if we all get "zapped" every once in a while - like in the movie Men in Black...
People still buying L450 and thinking all is good, the bulkhead "fix" was performed and we have a "certificate" to document it...really scary stuff thinking about what a massive failure will look like. IF it does, it will happen at the most challenging situation, strong wind, big waves....but why risk it...?!
Be Free Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 19:09   #58

I watched this video just as I am (still) considering a used model. The scope of defects in the Lawson boat are staggering. It immediately made me wonder: how the heck did he ever get insurance on this boat (if he did)? In my limited experience, insurers demand a survey; surveyors do tap tests.

In my research I've visited a few TS boats and also the boat yard. I did a (rather limited) inspection of several boats in construction. I was surprised how artisanal the construction is there. Very hand-crafted. Lots of food for thought after watching this vid, however.
rsteer1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 01:45   #59

Outremer just posted about the launch of "one of the last Outremer 45s to be built at La Grande Motte": https://www.facebook.com/reel/1155465515634276

This implies (to me at least) that they'll be moving production to the old Marsaudon facility. Seems like a sensible choice - this boat has been in production for some time and the build processes are well understood, so it has the best chance of a successful transfer. It should also relieve pressure on the La Grande Motte yard - getting enough skilled and experienced labour has definitely been a challenge for Outremer (and others) in recent years.
Flobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 03:12   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobble View Post
Outremer just posted about the launch of "one of the last Outremer 45s to be built at La Grande Motte": https://www.facebook.com/reel/1155465515634276

This implies (to me at least) that they'll be moving production to the old Marsaudon facility. Seems like a sensible choice - this boat has been in production for some time and the build processes are well understood, so it has the best chance of a successful transfer. It should also relieve pressure on the La Grande Motte yard - getting enough skilled and experienced labour has definitely been a challenge for Outremer (and others) in recent years.
Yes that will be the case and reason they bought them.

Tags
buying