Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 13:48   #1

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
beaching cruising cats

Yes, I am wanting to know if it is possible to beach a 1994 47 foot mayotte catamaran to do repairs paint etc. Please reply with recomendations.....
Thanks in advance
Gary
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 14:26   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
I dont know tht cat, but will really depend on underwater profile. Any cat can be grounded in extremis, but a lot of the bigger cats use dagger boards, and these can make a grounding an unacceptable risk - with the possibility of rocks jamming the boards etc. Also the surface and slope are major factors especially on such a big boat. you could put quite a twisting stress on the hulls. Most boats with an underwater profile derived from the prout long low aspect ratio keels can be safely grounded on sand, but unless there is a false keel, and wave action can cause some damage to the grp in contact with the bottom.

Mud is much better as it absorbs some of the knocks, but not the best surface for hull work!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 15:31   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We beached our Privilege 39 catamaran on several occasions to do work on the bottom. The real problem is finding places where they will let you beach them legally. When we beached in Mooloolaba, Australia, they had someone from the local council there within an hour making sure we weren't doing antifouling on Exit Only. We assured them we weren't, and they repeately informed us that we could'nt and shouldn't apply antifouling paint.

We were replacing eleven through hulls while the boat dried out, and they finally gave up and went away.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 16:35   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Following on from what Talbot said, I've also heard that daggerboard cats shouldn't be beached, for the reasons given. All pictures of beached cats, that I've seen, show them on mini-keels. I'm not an engineer, but would think that concentrating the entire weight of the cat on a small area like that is asking for trouble. Discussion?

Kevin
Lodesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 20:52   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. Mayotte had built around 18 of these before they were bought out around 95 or 96 by Voyage. I think that Voyage used most of the design and are very similar to them in the mid to late 90s. Anyway the Mayotte 47 has the little keels and has no dagger boards. And I am asking about beaching on pure sand.
Thanks
I would like to here from anyone else that has one of these.
Gracias
Old 03-11-2007, 20:56   #6

beaching cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
We beached our Privilege 39 catamaran on several occasions to do work on the bottom. The real problem is finding places where they will let you beach them legally. When we beached in Mooloolaba, Australia, they had someone from the local council there within an hour making sure we weren't doing antifouling on Exit Only. We assured them we weren't, and they repeately informed us that we could'nt and shouldn't apply antifouling paint.

We were replacing eleven through hulls while the boat dried out, and they finally gave up and went away.
Thanks,
Here in Bahia De Caraquez there are places on the beach here in the river that it is allowed to beach a boat and do whatever work nessesary. And we have a 12 foot tide change.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Following on from what Talbot said, I've also heard that daggerboard cats shouldn't be beached, for the reasons given. All pictures of beached cats, that I've seen, show them on mini-keels. I'm not an engineer, but would think that concentrating the entire weight of the cat on a small area like that is asking for trouble. Discussion?

Kevin
Boats with daggerboards most certainly can be beached. The boat I am building can, it's sisterships are beached as a matter of routine.

During the build process the boat stands on 4 small stacks of timber. Probably around 4 square feet of area. No problem at all.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:35   #8

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
You vcan safely beach the Mayotte as long as you don't get pebbles or sharp rocks under the keels. As far as I have managed to find out all cats with fixed keels are designed to take the full load of the boat on them.

The FP range is what I know best and all these can ans are designed to be standing on their keels. If you're not entirely sure of the sand quality have two planks ready and have someone in the water putting them under the keels as you beach. If the sand is soft it also helps preventing the keels to dig in if they are larger than the bottom keel area.

Happy lead free sailin!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37   #9

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
beaching

My boat has dagger boards & there is no problems. You should walk over the area firstl however. Not a good idea to try to do the job on a beach with waves to pick up & bang the boat on the sand!! The river sounds fine. The function of the mini keels is normally for beaching.
Regards Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:00   #10

Boat: now floating easy37
i thought all cruising cats had mini keels as cruiser are to lazy to pull up put down boards so whats the problem with beaching ?
sea
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:26   #11

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a

I too will affirm that there is no problem beaching a cat with dagger boards. The point of dagger boards is that they can be pulled up. The biggest problems will be the rudder and or the prop. These can be worked around pretty easily if you can come up with some sort of stand. Some people just use a bunch of old tires to keep the bottom safe from sharp rocks.:cubalibre
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:21   #12

Boat: Lagoon 37
best way to beach a cat is to anchor and let the tide ease out from under you. We do this quite frequently, and sometimes not by choice :O
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 13:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnflakbait View Post
I too will affirm that there is no problem beaching a cat with dagger boards. The point of dagger boards is that they can be pulled up. The biggest problems will be the rudder and or the prop. These can be worked around pretty easily if you can come up with some sort of stand. Some people just use a bunch of old tires to keep the bottom safe from sharp rocks.:cubalibre
Kick up rudders, and outboard motors. Problem solved.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 13:51   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
The Mayotte 47 can be beached on sand without a problem do only dos o with very small wave action because of the movement. Personally I would keep the rudders on the higher part of the beach so your cat sits straight. The long keep on your boat is designed to take the load . the beeching is for extended time support the cat under the bulkheads part of the hull and beach the baot with minimal load inside , empty water and diesel tanks help a lot.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:55   #15

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post

Kevin
The Privilege 39 Catamaran has relatively wide and long keels, and each keel has a kevlar foot that covers the bottom and goes up four inches up on all sides of the keel. This provides abrasion resistance and additional strenth for beaching the cat.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote