Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2021, 13:10   #16

Re: Beginner Sailor in the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalle Wirsch View Post
Your posts are extremely helpful, thank you. I’m reading each one carefully.

It sounds like the ideal conditions of BVI can be a blessing and a curse - easier to navigate but might keep you from learning as well?

Our main goal of this trip is to get better at sailing (in a place as magical as the Caribbean). To take in more experience, get proficient at sailing. So, attractions, restaurants, relaxation, alcohol - we’re not well suited for any of that

So, think of us as nerds with a crate full of homeschooled children - would you still recommend BVI/Abaco? What about Spanish Virgin Islands?

I’ll literally go where you tell me to go
Where are you starting from is probably more important than anything.... ?
Bahamas/Exumas is super easy. USVI and BVI are easy. Getting to certain parts of the Northern/E Caribe including any of the VI's is the harder part for a rookie. Spanish VI are a small area.
So the Bahamas, being only 60 miles from Florida is easy to get to and easy once you are there. Charts are good, shallows are noted. But it's mostly point and go. My first Bahamas excursion was with 6'5" draft, with a cat you'll be far easier...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 13:44   #17

Quote:
It sounds like the ideal conditions of BVI can be a blessing and a curse - easier to navigate but might keep you from learning as well?

You can sail as little or as much as you want in the BVIs, and you can switch off the chartplotter and practice your skills with compass and map, if you choose. Always stuff to learn. For us, a bunch of smaller-boat sailors, the learning was how to make a 41' monohull go like a rocket.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 13:54   #18

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

the bvi are not very beautiful islands compared to the windward islands. banana cost $1 each, and most of the other boaters are overprivileged. The locals stole my kayak paddle twice as well which is pretty uncommon.

My friend was running a charter there and one of the guests died from drinking too much and the other guests on the boat didn't really care just wanted to get his body off the boat so they could continue their cruise since they still had a few days left and had payed 28k for the week.

Otherwise it's very nice; I was able to camp on many of the small islands where it was not allowed to anchor or moor overnight as I traveled by sailing kayak (which did 9 knots downwind and kept up with the charter cats) leaving my main boat in an anchorage. I also went to richard branson's private island and used the showers and more as no one was there when I was.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 13:57   #19

Hahaha, that’s awesome @lake effect

Initially, we wanted to do Bahamas/Exumas! But we were told over and over again that it’s too difficult because of its shallowness.
No?
Kalle Wirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 14:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
the bvi are not very beautiful islands compared to the windward islands. banana cost $1 each, and most of the other boaters are overprivileged. The locals stole my kayak paddle twice as well which is pretty uncommon.

My friend was running a charter there and one of the guests died from drinking too much and the other guests on the boat didn't really care just wanted to get his body off the boat so they could continue their cruise since they still had a few days left and had payed 28k for the week.
Geez, Sean! Way to quash Kalle's hopes for a nice holiday! (And I disagree. I think the BVIs are incredibly beautiful.)

Maybe I'm biased, though, since I lived there for 5 years working as a charter skipper. I also experienced nothing like you describe above. No theft of any kind, ever. (Never heard the story about the drinking-too-much guy, although I did hear about the heart-attack-on-holidays guy out in Anegada... Stuff does happen, though, no matter where you go.)

We're in two different baliwicks, however: you're a modest keep-it-simple circumnavigator, while I was a charter skipper catering to all the tourists with dosh. So I expect our experience of the islands might have been different.

For a further bit of background, please allow me to introduce one of CF's resident geniuses (I mean that sincerely), as well as passionate climate advocate:

Town Dock - The Shipping News - Sean and S/V Alexandra
https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 14:33   #21

The whole Caribbean chain is a great place to cut your sailing teeth, and homeschooling is always possible, I did it!

When exploring the islands, you can sail in the hurricane season, just make sure you can exit south if needed in the Hurricane season...to Grenada or better yet, Trinidad.
PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 14:34   #22

A banana for 1$ - that IS a bit brutal
Kalle Wirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 15:10   #23

Quote:
Hahaha, that’s awesome @lake effect

Initially, we wanted to do Bahamas/Exumas! But we were told over and over again that it’s too difficult because of its shallowness.
No?
My first Bahamas excursion was with 6'5" draft... I had less issues there than in Florida... The water's so clear you can see any coral heads. Charts are good. Anchoring is simple usually. Not loaded with drinking palaces or fancy restaurants though. I've sailed Fl to Trinidad twice and the Bahamas are still my favorite of all of it. Going to the BVI is a bit like going to Honolulu to see Hawaii... OK, not fair, BVI are much better than Honolulu... but there's a tad of that in there... :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 11:48   #24

The BVI's are nice but very crowded, at least they were prior to Covid and their last hurricane. If you're fairly new to sailing I'm not sure I'd recommend the BVI's, it's just too busy, boats everywhere, and you'd better get to your destination early because moorings in most locations fill up by mid to early afternoon, so you must plan ahead or you'll have to consider anchoring which you will have to do in some locations anyhow. You just don't want to be in search of an anchorage or mooring ball as evening approaches, in my opinion. The entire island chain from the BVI's down to Granada are great and offer excellent sailing opportunities, why fight the BVI traffic and prices when the other islands have much to offer.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 12:47   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kwilder.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, sail, rib