Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 01:26   #1

Boat: 36ft Vicem Hard Top
Best Boat for My Needs

Hi All.
I had been planning on moving from my powerboat to a liveaboard for a couple of years.
However, the right apartment for me came along and my offer was accepted, so I won't be living aboard my next boat.
I still plan on a sailing cat, but my priorities and budget have now changed, as previously I was looking for the modern conveniences and liveaboard comfort.
What I'd like, is a galley up catamaran, rigged for easy single handing, and preferably a semi-flybridge (live the Privilege 615 has) or an elevated helm station with room for two. I would take a flybridge too.
I'm not looking for speed optimization, but don't want it to be a slog to sail either.
I'll add thrusters and a yachtmaster remote, so docking should be ok. Thrusters are a definite must where I am.
I also want an interior helm station where I can run the boat in foul weather.
I live in NYC, so I'm not concerned with ICW bridge clearance, though it would be nice to have the mast under 65' (not a deal breakerof any kind though, might help resale). My typical cruising is up and down the Hudson and the Long Island sound. Mostly day sails and weekend trips, and an occasional week long. Maybe one 10 day trip per year.
I'd like to be in the 45-50 range (smaller than that doesn't seem to fit the mixture of features I want) as long as the boat is truly designed for short handed sailing. Ease of sailing and comfort at the helm are my largest priorities by far. I'm ok with adding electric winches, etc. post purchase.
I'd also like generous bridge clearance.
The galley up is also going to be a big selling point for SWMBO. Also, the bigger the bed, the better.
Lastly, the faster the boat can cruise under power the better, preferably in the 9-10 range.
I loved a Privilege 615 I saw, it's just too much boat for me to handle, especially the way it's laid out.
I'd like to keep the cost in the $500-$600K range, and would happily spend less if possible
Can anyone recommend any boats that meet my parameters?
Joe Safdie is offline   Reply With Quote