Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2023, 18:41   #1

Best solar cabin vents - any opinions?

We have access to a number of options from the usual stores over here in NZ. Ideally we want a solar charged one such that it can operate in the day and into the night as necessary (as long as battery holds out). It will realistically therefore be on most if not all of the time.

Any opinions on best value/longevity? This is for our Cat.

We have this as an option here - https://www.burnsco.co.nz/ventilator...ery-and-switch or this but bit expensive - https://www.burnsco.co.nz/solar-vent...-day-and-night

Thanks all.
ColinCattanach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 18:51   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Best solar cabin vents - any opinions?

I had the marinco solar vents, and they were awful. The didn't move any air (the fan spun but not enough to move a yarn held near it), They leaked terribly, even if the vent was closed, water still found it's way in. And after one season all the electronics were corroded, the motor seized, and was then just a leaking hole in the cabin.

As expensive as the Marinco vents were, I spent more money patching the hole after I removed them than I did on the vents themselves. Total garbage, don't buy them.

I can't speak for the cheaper generic ones, but I would consider a proper dorade box before I install another solar vent on my boat.
Old 23-06-2023, 19:37   #3

Boat: HR 31 Monsun
Re: Best solar cabin vents - any opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I had the marinco solar vents, and they were awful. The didn't move any air (the fan spun but not enough to move a yarn held near it), They leaked terribly, even if the vent was closed, water still found it's way in. And after one season all the electronics were corroded, the motor seized, and was then just a leaking hole in the cabin.

As expensive as the Marinco vents were, I spent more money patching the hole after I removed them than I did on the vents themselves. Total garbage, don't buy them.

I can't speak for the cheaper generic ones, but I would consider a proper dorade box before I install another solar vent on my boat.
I have had a marinco vent on my boat since 2007 and have not had any issues with it, other than a couple of battery changes. It moves air throughout the boat. I also fitted one on a work boat that used to sit in the winter and be covered on mold in the spring, we fitted a marinco vent on the forward hatch and have not seen any mold since then.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, solar