Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 09:17   #1

Best used boat years to buy?

So, this is still 4.5 years away for me, but fun looking anyways.
I'm looking for a 40min to 45max length cat. I can only afford used. I hope my budget gets me into about 300-350k for a boat.
So, my thoughts are:
1) What year does a boat max depreciation start leveling off? I.e. a brand new boat drops very quickly in value. I hope something about 5 years old has seen the largest drops. Perhaps it is after about 3 years. Not sure.
2) If a boat needs sails after about 7 years and other wear items, I'd assume that a non-refitted boat will be expensive to make ready if purchased at the 6-7 year mark.
3) A boat owner that does not take care of his vessel will not have much time to break everything if it is pretty new boat. If an owner does not do routine maintenance, then even a 2 year old boat might still be in good condition. However, after 5 years of neglect, it might not be in good condition. In this line of thinking a boat of about 2 years old "should" always be in very good condition.

I'm thinking that maybe a boat in the 3-4 year, perhaps 5 year mark would be suitable.

I'm budgeting about 300-350,000.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:54   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Best used boat years to buy?

I think your statements/assumptions are reasonable, unless they're not. I recommend you plan to target used boats from age 2-3 years onward. Be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs....

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
used boat