Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 15:21   #16

Boat: TBA
Re: Polycore

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Have you visited this website?
Polycore Composites - Polycore Australia - Polycore Honeycomb

Polycore has achieved a world first with it's Polypropylene Honeycomb Core and Panels!
The PP8-S and PP8-H Core can be supplied with an advanced fire treatment, this has resulted in a plastic honeycomb core that will not ignite, without ignition there is no spread of flame, without fire there are no toxic fumes to worry about.

Have you visited these fire videos
http://www.polycore-australia.com.au...ant-Panels.php
Hi Brian,

i got the information from you ,Poly core Australia is closed. In YOUR OWN WORDS have a read of the website (to help you look under the resellers tag)

I understand that Nida core exist but it was you that referenced both companies, one of which i exhausted lots of energy trying to get information and was not successful.

The testing they refer to in the brochure for fire is a BCA brochure (Building code or Australia) this is not a testing Authority it is a code to build buildings in Australia, We then have Standards Which must be followed,

That information is Not a test which can be relied upon without documentation the test has been carried out to a Standard.

If all the info stacked up i would have built out of this product long ago
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 20:09   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Polycore Composites vs Australia Composite Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Hi Brian,

i got the information from you ,Poly core Australia is closed. In YOUR OWN WORDS have a read of the website (to help you look under the resellers tag)
If you look back at this posting I made on the other subject thread you will find I was confused between these two companies. Austrailia Composite Panels is closeed. They were the ones building the Solitary Island catamaran

Quote:
...a liitle confused again, perhaps someone can provide additional info?

What is the distinction between?

Polycore Products
Polycore Composites - Polycore Australia - Polycore Honeycomb

...and
Australian Composite Panels
Australian Composite Panels - Lightweight Fibreglass & Honeycomb Materials

both polyproplene honycomb products
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Same same but different.

I think you will find Polycore is the supplier of the core material to ACP.
ACP manufacture panels using Jamac epoxy resin (also sold by polycore) making a finished product which is sold by ACP as well as Polycore .
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 17:48   #18
Marine Service Provider

Re: Big Catamaran, Big Drop 'Test',....WHAM !!

OK here is the latest info I can uncover. This was sent to me by a gentleman working for nidacore division of 3M

Quote:
I'm not sure which "drop test" he's referring to. If it is Janot Lemaire's catamaran, it was not a test. The vessel was torn from it's mooring during a hurricane (I believe in the Bahamas because that's where he called me from to order more core and told me what had occurred). The vessel sat on a reef and chewed up the keels and then beached at some resort.

The owner of the resort wanted the vessel cleared off the beach immediately. Janot brought in a crane and spent quite some time (he said three days) picking it up 15 feet off the ground and dropping it to try to break it up. He said it just bounced so they finally resorted to cutting it up with chainsaws.

Mr Lemaire built quite a fleet of these Seminole Cats for Club Meds as well as some others for customers in the Middle East. They had a reputation for being a very tough boat.

Any other info would have to come from Janot Lemaire. I have not seen him in at least ten years. He moved to maybe Guadalupe and then possibly Tahiti where his brother was operating some boats. Everything I know of it was related to me by Janot in that phone call. I believe that was around 1993 or 94
I found these photos of one of his vessels,...I believe the one in the Bahamas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1049344201121616817829_102_2p1000211.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	64889   Click image for larger version

Name:	1049344201121617450179_102_2torpedo-rear.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	64890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1049344201121617450179_102_3img00349-20100528-1418.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	64891  
Old 19-02-2014, 23:12   #19
Marine Service Provider

Re: Big Catamaran, Big Drop 'Test',....WHAM !!

Quote:
OK here is the latest info I can uncover. This was sent to me by a gentleman working for nidacore division of 3M

I found these photos of one of his vessels,...I believe the one in the Bahamas
I had originally posted 3 photos with that posting just above, but now when I look back at the posting there are no photos, just the words "rotate image"

What's going on???
Old 19-02-2014, 23:14   #20
Marine Service Provider

....from Yacchtforums

Quote:
Originally Posted by karo1776
Brian... many years ago... now 32... a company my brother and I owned experimented with a cored graphite skin structure for wings (aero not water). The idea was to allow an internal mechanism change the wing shape and also as impact improvement for small stones kicked up on landing a takeoff landing.
Anyway, we experimented with several layup designs all with resin contents of 27-32% resin (epoxide) to skin material (less core) mass. We found that thin carbon composite skins with a polyethylene foam core of about 4-8 lbs per cubic foot were very good... now what was interesting is it was extremely impact damage tolerant and had good rigidity for the use... note these core thicknesses were in the range of 0.1" to .2" for reference.
Now later some work was done with similar materials for survivability proposes... very good to its limits.
What was strange was the flexible core would transfer the impact loads and protect the skins from localized impact damage...
JUST LIKE YOU TALK ABOUT HERE... !

Tags
catamaran