Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 14:26   #1

Big Data on boats

The iridium doesn't work for much other than phonecalls and weather/text.
With people that are able to work remotely what are some solutions to web browsing speed data without having to get simcards everywhere you go?
Grimgrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 20:12   #2

Re: Big Data on boats

Every one is holding out for Starlink or one of its competitors. Right now anything satellite based is very slow and insanely expensive if you're thinking about actually working off it.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 20:22   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Where exactly do you think you are going to be for a long period of time that won't have cell phone service?
Old 02-07-2020, 18:25   #4

Phone service is already sat phone covered.
I'm thinking more of being able to do skype work meetings while traveling.
Old 02-07-2020, 18:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimgrak View Post
Phone service is already sat phone covered.
I'm thinking more of being able to do skype work meetings while traveling.
Video calling and screen sharing require an upload and download speed of at least 128Kpbs. High-definition video calling requires an upload and download speed of at least 1.2 megabits per second. For a group video call, Skype requires a minimum download speed of 512Kbps and a minimum upload speed of 128Kbps. Minimum rates are rather marginal as to quality.

One would need to assess the bandwidth services for satellite service providers in the geographical area of intended use to determine their capabilities and costs. Start with where then evaluate who.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 19:10   #6

Skype requirements detailed below.

Now for Gaming you will need some fast service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skype.PNG
Views:	158
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	218630  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:52   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

For something like Inmarsat BGAN the only service I know that can support those sort of speeds would be about $30/min. You would need a fairly profitable business model to make this viable.

Google Duo is looking to reduce bandwidth for video calls 30kbps???

I can understand working while stopped, cell coverage is pretty global and data rates are cheap even with throwaway PAYG SIMs.

I can't see the business requirement to work using Skype "video" calling while on an ocean passage. If your business needs you that badly either you shouldn't be at sea or you haven't trained management well enough.

When sailing starts to interfere with business, give up business.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 21:15   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Where exactly do you think you are going to be for a long period of time that won't have cell phone service?
Again, where do you think you will be?
Old 03-07-2020, 21:36   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
The iridium doesn't work for much other than phonecalls and weather/text.
With people that are able to work remotely what are some solutions to web browsing speed data without having to get simcards everywhere you go?
We've been waiting for low cost , high speed, LEO satellite service for about 25 years, (since Teledesic, or before). Maybe it will come.

Meanwhile sim cards and data plans do a lot, and are easy. But if you are used to a high speed land line, you're probably spoiled and out of luck, I think. Anyhow, it might do you good to experience the kind of speeds that most of your users have to deal with.

NOW, if you are going to be in a marina or near a town there are WiFi extenders, (for example Ubiquiti) which can work well over a reasonable distance, and I have used a Bear Outdoor Extender for nearly a mile. (Directionality is the key, also a pain to keep rotating it) .

Then you need to get access from a land based AP.

Most people working from their boats are in a marina and a lot of them have paid to get a land line to the boat. AND they are not cruising.
Old 03-07-2020, 22:36   #10

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

I had heard that some people have a multi sim card dongle (2,3 or 4 sim cards) that enables them to benefit from 2 or more data bandwidths at the same time. Does anyone know where i can get this sort of thing because it would help in some instances.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 00:29   #11

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
I had heard that some people have a multi sim card dongle (2,3 or 4 sim cards) that enables them to benefit from 2 or more data bandwidths at the same time. Does anyone know where i can get this sort of thing because it would help in some instances.
This is the sort of thing you want I think... https://www.peplink.com/products/max...-cellular/#hd2 . Don't have any experience of using it, I just investigated them a while back but then decided a single 4G was all I needed.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 23:33   #12

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
This is the sort of thing you want I think... https://www.peplink.com/products/max...-cellular/#hd2 . Don't have any experience of using it, I just investigated them a while back but then decided a single 4G was all I needed.
Many thanks.. i think that is it.. i am hoping to use a number of different connections depending upon the location and situation. 1 sim can be ok but if you are in a 3g area and need to use the laptop it can struggle as more and more sites seem to assume you are on broadband and want a 2mb picture of their product perched high on a mountain somewhere [emoji4]
Thanks once again
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:56   #13

Boat: L450 fmr Lavezzi

I have worked remotely for the past several years while sailing from Seattle, WA to the East Coast of the US.

I am very happy with my KVH 3 series device. Phone calls are crystal clear and data, while expensive, is manageable with software on my laptop.

Teams calls require 56k or less if you use the KVH phone during the call for voice and turn off video services.

http://www.waponi-woo.com/?cat=13 has info on how we came to our KVH purchase.
rspott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 13:08   #14

What are the data charges? Can't seem to find anything on their site.
Old 09-07-2020, 14:23   #15

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
What are the data charges? Can't seem to find anything on their site.
Not sure what system he was referring to but the KVH V3 (VSAT) satellite system rate sheet is here:

https://www.kvh.com/api/amazon/docum...B000000KbDhUAK

Other rate sheets are here:

https://www.kvh.com/airtime-and-cont...adband-airtime

It looks to me that a 2GB monthly plan (HTS M2000) is $999 per month plus $.49 per MB over the initial allotment.

Most places I've been in the world I've gotten cheap 4G data on prepay sim cards and I use a USB cellular modem feeding a hotspot AP on my computer to share the connection to other devices.

I currently pay about 1/4 cent per MB, or $15 for 5GB. I use roughly 15GB per month, so about $45. The speed is adequate for most things including video conf. If more speed is required one can get devices which allow multiple sim cards and they somehow manage to get duplex speeds out of it. Not sure how good it works.

I prefer to use WiFi because it can usually be acquired for free if you have a good (DIRECTIONAL) antenna, but speed is often traffic related.

You are going to pay a huge price to have the kind of bandwidth you seem to think is what will make you happy.

Tags
boat