Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Big dinghy onto a big tri - Lifter?

I am trying to figure out how to get a long dinghy onto my trimaran.

The original dinghy hung off davits between the main hull and ama. The problem is that type of dinghy is too small for what I am looking to do.

Sky hook. Yeah don't have one.

Seriously, any suggestions. The problem with coming along side is the trimaran is so wide the boom doesn't extend out over the side. Further the main sidestay for the mast gets in the way of a long dinghy.

My best approach is from the stern and then up and onto the aka. This is a vertical lift of about 6 feet.

The problem is if I just pull on the nose of the dinghy the stern would fill with water and engine flood.

I almost need something like a crane that pivots. I am thinking two spars for the lift as well as a smaller spar to help leverage. I am think of pairs as the dinghy would set between the spars which then lower down to the deck.

Anyone seen something like this? Any ideas?

I want to keep under about 500 lbs for the lift if possible. Dinghy with engine will weigh around 1000 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy Lift.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	151727  
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Big dinghy onto a big tri - Lifter?

A friend with a 63 foot tri, 40-ish beam, uses a line from the masthead to hoist his dinghy onto the net. It takes one person on the winch and one to guide the tender as it comes aboard. He too is looking for better options....
Old 12-07-2017, 03:32   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Big dinghy onto a big tri - Lifter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I am trying to figure out how to get a long dinghy onto my trimaran.

The original dinghy hung off davits between the main hull and ama. The problem is that type of dinghy is too small for what I am looking to do.

Sky hook. Yeah don't have one.

Seriously, any suggestions. The problem with coming along side is the trimaran is so wide the boom doesn't extend out over the side. Further the main sidestay for the mast gets in the way of a long dinghy.

My best approach is from the stern and then up and onto the aka. This is a vertical lift of about 6 feet.

The problem is if I just pull on the nose of the dinghy the stern would fill with water and engine flood.

I almost need something like a crane that pivots. I am thinking two spars for the lift as well as a smaller spar to help leverage. I am think of pairs as the dinghy would set between the spars which then lower down to the deck.

Anyone seen something like this? Any ideas?

I want to keep under about 500 lbs for the lift if possible. Dinghy with engine will weigh around 1000 lbs.
Hi Paul,
You have exactly the right idea and it is technically called a "Luffing Arm Davit"

Google that and you will get the idea.....

Just think of how a garbage truck would pick up those large containers and swing them up over the top of the cab and into the truck bin

Have conceptually designed them to blend into Superyacht structure when a heavy lift is needed from the stern and the owner didn't want a big crane to clutter that deck when the tender was gone.

If idea is to load fore and aft it works great as the boat swings in between with weight low at pivot point on hull/deck .

Send me some photos of stern/storage space/ tender/ lift height and travel forward to land tender to help calculate the pivot arms height and I will try and sketch you something conceptual and multifunctional

This is a big ship fast emergency test with lifeboat athwartships but you can imagine it fore and aft with a low height lift
https://youtu.be/xJQwP2TCisQ
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, lift