Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2021, 18:23   #1

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Bimini Hardtop considerations

Hi all,

I'm about to start building my hardtop bimini for my IPY Packet cat 35.

Besides sun/rain protection solar is going up there the other big reason is to move the mainsheet up there as well. Where it sits now is right behind the helms persons head. Not comfortable. Having tried to hire naval architects without success the current plan is to use 2.5" SS going about 7' up, 10 feet over and then back down again. The SS will be attached on the horizontal bottom with bolts and the vertical edge will have 6 bolts in reinforced wider area with G10 backing plates epoxied to the hull.

I contacted a person with a Lagoon 44 who just has 2 poles going up. The poles are 3" (80mm) and probably connected with a crossbeam which may be connected to the bimini structure. The mainsail on the Lagoon is around 750 sq feet. which is greater than my total sail area. My Main is 229 sq feet.

I'm fairly confident that 2.5" SS would be more than strong enough to handle the loads. 2.5" aluminum would be better from a weigh perspective as would 2" SS but now I'm not so confident.

If you have 35-40 footish cat with the traveller mounted above please let me know what size/material tubes you have and any other structure support facts you know. I spoke with a couple who have a Mahe 38? Hurricane damages. Bimini missing. Looks like it was held on by 1.5" SS poles. Some of the poles were still attached.

Another question for those that have a hardtop bimini is solar panels. When reefing do you ever have issues with the sail getting caught up in the solar panels?

Last question. What mods do you have on your hardtop that like, dislike, wish you had?

Long post, thank you for reading and any input you may have.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 05:49   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Bimini Hardtop considerations

Mark, I have made 2 hard biminis, one for my 34 ft Prout and a much larger one for my 12m cat. Both had an edge hand hold/rain gutter which also stiffens the bimini, I also arched the back but used a straight board so that in the middle, the board was below the bimini but above at the ends. I have 2 large solar panels on the 12m cat, never had a problem with the lines getting tangled but I have the panels flush to the bimini. I did put in pivot points to orient the panels but never had to do so.
I used aluminum support poles but the next one will be a aluminum structure so I can make the bimini lighter. The Prout used a polypropylen panel, the bigger one used 1" balsa. Divynicell foam is much lighter and will used that for the next one.
Focus on making the underside smooth, the top side you want a little rough to keep your footing. We keep all kinds of stuff up there ( water jugs getting warm for showers, boat hooks, cockpit clutter while at anchor).
Consider putting in some wires for speakers and lights.
Sailorman Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 15:29   #3

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Theses guys built a pretty decent hard top from scratch. Worth a watch.
This is part 1.

https://youtu.be/-RPaxTwvCXg
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 16:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
Theses guys built a pretty decent hard top from scratch. Worth a watch.
This is part 1.

https://youtu.be/-RPaxTwvCXg
Yes they did. t
hanks
Old 25-05-2021, 16:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Mark, I have made 2 hard biminis, one for my 34 ft Prout and a much larger one for my 12m cat. Both had an edge hand hold/rain gutter which also stiffens the bimini, I also arched the back but used a straight board so that in the middle, the board was below the bimini but above at the ends. I have 2 large solar panels on the 12m cat, never had a problem with the lines getting tangled but I have the panels flush to the bimini. I did put in pivot points to orient the panels but never had to do so.
I used aluminum support poles but the next one will be a aluminum structure so I can make the bimini lighter. The Prout used a polypropylen panel, the bigger one used 1" balsa. Divynicell foam is much lighter and will used that for the next one.
Focus on making the underside smooth, the top side you want a little rough to keep your footing. We keep all kinds of stuff up there ( water jugs getting warm for showers, boat hooks, cockpit clutter while at anchor).
Consider putting in some wires for speakers and lights.
Thanks for your info. I'm thinking Nida Core as it's even lighter. How thick of glass did you put on yours? My measurements are roughly 10'x13'.
Old 25-05-2021, 20:49   #6
UYA

Boat: Moody 42

Cpt Mark,
recently we built a hard top bimini for our monohull. Here is the list of what we deemed important. Maybe it gives you some food for thought...

solar panels in bimini (not on top)
  • flat surface, no snagging of lines
  • slimmer build
  • cooler panels due to wind exposure on back - better performance
rim around top
  • as rain catcher, backup to water maker
  • gives extra rigidity
  • protects solar panels if mizzen boom falls down
rim around bottom
  • water doesn't come inside
  • holes in rim allow for hanging up canvas for extra sun protection
  • more rigidity
We used Nidacore with Epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bimini.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	239197  
UYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 23:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UYA View Post
Cpt Mark,
recently we built a hard top bimini for our monohull. Here is the list of what we deemed important. Maybe it gives you some food for thought...

solar panels in bimini (not on top)
  • flat surface, no snagging of lines
  • slimmer build
  • cooler panels due to wind exposure on back - better performance
rim around top
  • as rain catcher, backup to water maker
  • gives extra rigidity
  • protects solar panels if mizzen boom falls down
rim around bottom
  • water doesn't come inside
  • holes in rim allow for hanging up canvas for extra sun protection
  • more rigidity
We used Nidacore with Epoxy.
Questions. How thick of Nidacore, how thick/many layers of epoxy? Can you stand easily on it? Your
solar panels, are those flexible or hard panels?

Mark
Old 25-05-2021, 23:27   #8

Hi all, thank you for the suggestions etc. I appreciate it.

Mark
Old 26-05-2021, 06:06   #9

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Thanks for your info. I'm thinking Nida Core as it's even lighter. How thick of glass did you put on yours? My measurements are roughly 10'x13'.

I built a bimini that is 17' x 7'6" from 16mm Polycore there is about 1mm epoxy skin with woven rovings top and bottom. The panel weighs 19kgs and is supported on an aluminium frame. The Polycore is just able to support walking on but the 1m frame spacing does not allow walking on without additional support.

If you use nidacore or polycore then the edge treatment needs to be carefully considered otherwise any weight advantage can be easily lost.

I fitted a plastic bolt rope channel top and bottom that allows for screens and shade cloths as required, protects the edges and also provides a hand grip.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 09:35   #10
UYA

Boat: Moody 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Questions. How thick of Nidacore, how thick/many layers of epoxy? Can you stand easily on it? Your
solar panels, are those flexible or hard panels?

Mark
  • Our Bimini is not designed to stand on (it's on a monohull). I just used 2 layers of fiberglass
  • I believe the Nidacore is about 10mm thick. I added additionally support beams on the underside (see pictures)
  • The panels are hard panels. They are embedded into the structure so that they are flush on the top
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_026.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	239230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_027.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	239231  

Name:	Selection_028.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	239232  
UYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 10:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UYA View Post
  • Our Bimini is not designed to stand on (it's on a monohull). I just used 2 layers of fiberglass
  • I believe the Nidacore is about 10mm thick. I added additionally support beams on the underside (see pictures)
  • The panels are hard panels. They are embedded into the structure so that they are flush on the top
Thanks. And thanks for the photos

Tags
bimini