Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2022, 15:43   #1

Biplane rig behaviors

Curious if anyone with experience on a biplane rigged catamaran could tell me what happens if you reef or take down only one sail. Since the thrust would be off the centerline of the boat it seems that this may affect helm balance?

I am very interested in using the biplane rig on my small catamaran build, just want to be sure I'm aware of all the factors. If you have anything else to add about how they behave in various conditions and circumstances, please share.
dustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 20:19   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Biplane rig behaviors

Can't speak from experience, but it probably wouldn't be a hugh deal.

Probably best to try to keep them close to the same size, but on many points of sail one sail will interefere with the other giving different drive forces even if they are identical sailplans.

Outriggers and atlantic proas don't seem to have a problem
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 00:18   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Google "Cool Change" a Derek Kelsall bi-rig

https://boatingnz.co.nz/ready-for-a-change/ gives some incite.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 05:50   #4

You could see if you get a response from Jeff Schionning or one of his team, there's a few of his Radical Bay designs around I believe...
https://schionningdesign.com/radical-bay-800/

and one of his Wilderness designs adapted is for sale in West Australia at the moment...
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...ss-1230/280238

the late Pete Hill's old cat is for sale in NZ....been all over the world
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...9?bof=mN7j1jeN
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 06:00   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I did a lot of research on these. I don’t know what the criteria is for you selecting a biplane rig, but the problem with all bi planes and why you do not see by planes in the sky anymore is that they are a low aspect ratio. So they are less efficient. For less weight, a high aspect ratio foil gets you more thrust. It also reaches higher/faster winds aloft.

Sorry I don’t have the answer to our original question, but I figured I would put in some of what I learned here.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 12:37   #6

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I did a lot of research on these. I don’t know what the criteria is for you selecting a biplane rig, but the problem with all bi planes and why you do not see by planes in the sky anymore is that they are a low aspect ratio. So they are less efficient. For less weight, a high aspect ratio foil gets you more thrust. It also reaches higher/faster winds aloft.

Sorry I don’t have the answer to our original question, but I figured I would put in some of what I learned here.

Yet research into electric planes are showing at least one design that is a biplane where the wings have sufficient spacing to minimize interference
Old 28-07-2022, 18:51   #7

I have experience with the rig. We are an older cruising couple and, in many conditions, we find that using just one sail works great. Of course, it affects the balance somewhat, but not in any ways that I consider negative. Our sails are large -- they are the only two sails on the boat and have the same total sail area as a cat (with our righting moment) would have if its full main and largest spinnaker were set.

A picture of our boat is attached. Please PM me if you would like more information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Best PIc - Saphira Side.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	261791  
Dragon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 23:23   #8

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon701 View Post
I have experience with the rig. We are an older cruising couple and, in many conditions, we find that using just one sail works great. Of course, it affects the balance somewhat, but not in any ways that I consider negative. Our sails are large -- they are the only two sails on the boat and have the same total sail area as a cat (with our righting moment) would have if its full main and largest spinnaker were set.

A picture of our boat is attached. Please PM me if you would like more information.
Lovely looking boat. I considered a biplane rig when we were building, but it was a little too "non standard" for my wife's taste.

I'd love to read more about your boat and it's sailing qualities. Is there somewhere I can find more information about your boat?

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 29-07-2022, 05:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon701 View Post

Beautiful boat! We just missed you at Barra. We have a CW tri. Was walking over to see you and you were gone!

Chotu, looks pretty high aspect ratio to me!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote