Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2008, 03:04   #1

blue water cat under USD 200k?

Ohoj Fellows!

We (Me, the wife and our 3 kids (18yo, 9yo, 8yo)) are planning to get away from everything and do a (up to) 1 year voyage on the sea.
The plan is to cross the Atlantic from Spain (Canary Islands) to The Caribbean and cruise around in Central America

We have some sailing experience and will make sure to be well prepared (Mediterranean cruising, literature etc) by the time of commencing our trip by the beginning of 2010

The question is which boat to purchase?
This is of course a very personal question but Im more looking for general answers and recommendations for cats that would be comfortable, reliable, easy to manage and sail.

What is the experience of sailing with family?
How much space (feet) is needed for longer trips to avoid family members trying to toss each others over board?

budget is around USD 200k with a certain flexibility if it would be suggested that this wont buy what I need.

Thanks for your time and for all the great resources on the site
liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 03:11   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquido View Post
The question is which boat to purchase?
This is of course a very personal question but Im more looking for general answers and recommendations for cats that would be comfortable, reliable, easy to manage and sail.
Charter version (i.e. 4 cabin) of the Privilege 39.
Old 14-07-2008, 03:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
One of the best answers for both the family at sea question as well as the which boat question is to try one or more one week long charter trips after preparing the crew ashore as much as practical. Set very easy goals and try to make having fun the absolute priority as you sneak in some sailing experience. Develop patterns for operation of the boat and living aboard. When people understand what is going on they react better and are more effective. That is true not only for yourself but for the entire crew. Lots of small details have to be worked out one crew member at a time. Even small children have a role to play and a set of needs.

The dynamics of the family are most unique between the individuals. At sea things need to work. Some shorter cruises remove a lot of pressure from all people thinking of doing a longer trip. It builds experience and with that confidence in ones self and the rest of the crew. Building that type of solidarity is important. If your preparation can include as many members as possible in what ever ways they can actively participate then you stand the best chance of enjoyment. All your family problems on land get loaded on the boat. I would use that as a guide to the things you have to sort out. Staring now for a 2010 trip is not too early. Not being in a hurry is sound advice.

As far as budgets go we have a great many discussions on the forum because it such a complicated topic. The cost of the initial purchase is just one number. There are the costs of refitting anything not seaworthy or destined to be replaced for a long trip. There is all the gear safety and otherwise that you will need to buy. Boats don't come with everything included. There are also the expected operational expenses. To single out just the purchase price is a mistake. Alone it's not the budget number you need to work with. This is where planning out the trip becomes very important.

The spectrum of what has been done before is quite wide. The spectrum of what is best for your family is perhaps more narrow that that. Your budget and personalities are yours uniquely.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 04:00   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good advice from Paul. You really do need to spend some time on different boats to decide which one to spend the kid's inheritance on! There are so many options available for layout, build quality, performance, and creature comfort that it's relatively futile for others to give you advice until you've done some narrowing down of the possibilities.

There are a lot of threads in our archives on all aspects of catamarans. Try using this custom search engine (the one on the masthead doesn't work very well) to get you started, then come back with some specific questions. Cruisers & Sailing Forum

Good luck!
Old 14-07-2008, 04:16   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
And then you'll need...

I'll add my vote to the recommendation that you charter first. It might seem like money "wasted" but it will probably be cheaper in the long run.

But as you do this see if you can find some cats that have been cruised. Look at them and work out what has been modified or added to make them "cruise worthy".

Things like davits, water storage, sun/wind/rain protection, all chain/oversized anchor. The list seems endless. If you've been following this Forum you should know what I am getting at. Budgeting $100k for all of these may not be out of line.

Don't be afraid to look at a few monohulls. They might not be the "perfect" cruising yacht but there are a lot around and quite a few look to be well fitted out.

It may even be possible that you can afford to cruise a mono but not a multi...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 08:06   #6

Thanks for the words of wisdom, valid points...

Im aware of the fact that few boats come "ready" for ocean crossing and even if they do there will always be something that must be replaced, reinforced and looked at... and that will be a budget of its own.

The question was more aimed at which standard equipped used cat below 200k would structurally be a good purchase...

There are makes and models that no matter how well you equip them still wouldnt be a good choice for an Atlantic crossing.

Again thanks
liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 08:11   #7
jzk

Leopard 38?
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 08:22   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Don't be afraid to look at one off, and custom boats. Especially if it is by a known designer. This is what I did, and I am more than pleased with the outcome....check my gallery.........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 09:20   #9

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
liquido I know that a boat under 200k is an almost irresistable deal unfortunately all the boats I have looked at under 200k need some exspensive work done, (most aren't even completed yet), but I have also found that boats for 300k are usually in good condition, may need minor less exspensive work but are being sold for 300k because of the current economy, the owner is getting older and has decided to sell, or (some of the best ones) the owners are upgrading to a bigger boat and need to get rid of it and need money fast.
Old 15-07-2008, 09:51   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
wizard Yachts Ltd. presents Catana 411 Top Cat
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 19:38   #11

I take back what I said, I looked and you can get a GEMINI 105Mc new for just under 200k.
Old 16-07-2008, 02:46   #12

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
I take back what I said, I looked and you can get a GEMINI 105Mc new for just under 200k.
I am not convinced that the Gemini should be considered as a Blue Water cat. A very good coastal option, but bad weather would demand considerable more expertise, and luck than more conventional bluee water designs.
Old 16-07-2008, 04:26   #13

that may be true but i have heard very good things about their seaworthiness and storm weathering ability.
Old 16-07-2008, 20:43   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
that may be true but i have heard very good things about their seaworthiness and storm weathering ability.
I understand that they are a solid fiberglass layup, so don't apply any of the 'it can't sink' stuff to it.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 22:26   #15

Boat: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
check this out Fusion Catamarans - E multihulls - Catamaran Brokerage
S/V Mother Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote