Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 09:06   #16

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Blue Water Cruising w/a samll catamaran

I forgot to ask one other question and that is cost. What are you looking to spend on the boat and how much are budgeting for outfitting the boat before you go?

My initial thought, based primarily on your reply about short handing (I assume just the two of you, so only one person on watch during longer sails) I would suggest you look in your lower size range. I would look at cats between 34 and 38 feet. In that range, Lagoon 380 2 cabin owners version would be high on my list. I just prefer that layout. There are other boats that are more seaworthy but I don't think comfort should be over looked. You will spend most of your time at anchor, far more time then you will spend sailing.
Old 22-07-2013, 09:26   #17

Re: Blue Water Cruising w/a small catamaran (circumnavigation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelrookie View Post
David,

Thank you for your informative reply. Based on the response we are changing our question to smallest length for passages en route to a
circumnavigation.

Henry & Elizabeth (H&E)
I think the traditional thinking is about 40 feet. Something about wave period.... I'm not sure any of it is anything but conjecture though. But, assuming you will be weather wary enough to never get in a major storm, but will be in strong blows and maybe 16 -20 seas.... my gut says that too small a cat could have a propensity to dig the bow in and suffer damage.... and 40 feet or more starts making my gut feel better!
OTOH, I think you will find that some catamarans survived better when some monohulls didnt in big storms in the southern ocean. Maybe someone has some of those stats at hand....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:28   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

But there will be like two dozens of 38-40 decent cats around. And the best one is the one that fits your needs best.

Right now, a couple of docks away:
- Lagoon 380, FP Tobago, FP Athena, Privilege 37,... plus a dozen of one offs.

My choice would be slightly bigger thing like a Catana 43 Ocean. Below 40' I like the older Privileges.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 12:07   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

We get these posts all the time from newbies. I'd say every week or two, "what boat should I buy"? Whether it's multi or mono and the correct answer is just about any of them. All these boats make it half way or more across the globe. They are all suited to your needs. Just find the one that turns your crank. And speaking of cranks, electric winches are more important in bigger boats unless you are looking for a good workout!
Old 22-07-2013, 12:26   #20

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
We get these posts all the time from newbies. I'd say every week or two, "what boat should I buy"? Whether it's multi or mono and the correct answer is just about any of them. All these boats make it half way or more across the globe. They are all suited to your needs. Just find the one that turns your crank. And speaking of cranks, electric winches are more important in bigger boats unless you are looking for a good workout!
To me, electric winches are the start of a slow death of the cruising dream. Electric winches = more batteries = more ways to replenish the batteries (i.e. more solar, wind and generator) = need for arches/other support structures = too much weight = need for bigger boat = more systems to maintain = never going cruising. Just my opinion but people were cruising long before they existed. Some make the same argument about refrigeration and even electric lights. But you don't really raise your mainsail that often, you very rarely raise your jib/genny and smart tacking can reduce the need for extensive grinding on sheets. In my late 30s and trying to go cruising at 40, it's something I can forgo. If I was going cruising as a normal retirement thing, that might be a different discussion.
Old 22-07-2013, 13:37   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelrookie View Post
after re-reading the posts we will look at 42 footers. thx H&E
Yee gods a 42ft cat is huge, you will need walkie talkies if you are at opposite ends. I like the suggestion of chartering one in the Carib first.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 15:23   #22

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
There is no best size or minimum size that a stranger can advise you on. The largest boat you can afford will give you the best ride. One couple will think a 40 ft or less is the most they can handle and another will have no problem with a 50 ft or larger. Already addressed is the extra work and money to keep a larger boat running. I would look to crew on a few catamarans on 3 plus day passages, you will start forming your own opinions fast after a few passages. May even change your thoughts about the role speed plays. Try the website crewfinders.something and this forum to find those opportunities.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 23:47   #23
Marine Service Provider

Bumfuzzle.com - they went around the world in a 36 footer with no issues with their boat being too small.

Plenty of Lagoon 38's do it all the time. The odd Tobago and even a Gemini 35.

It's like aircraft... you could fly around the world in a trike / microlight / powered hangglider with a 2-stroke engine... but would you? That's your choice.

39-40ft would be a nice size for most.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 23:58   #24

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Good cats in the 38-44ft range would do the job well for a couple.
Lots of fully loaded Lagoon 380 cats around ready to go and very capable.
A Catana 43 is a nice boat too but a bit more technical to sail.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 03:52   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
A Catana 43 is a nice boat too but a bit more technical to sail.
As Pauline would say - Please Explain. Apart from the boards, its not that different?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 04:38   #26

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
So the traveler works the same as a Lagoon 380?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 05:15   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

No - but its not that hard, if you can sail a Lagoon 380 I am willing to guess that in a very short time you could be sailing a Catana, or indeed any other multi?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 07:40   #28
Marine Service Provider

I have a Prout 39 Escale. It (but not I) has crossed the Atlantic three times. I would take it anywhere. I am particularly pleased by how easily and quickly I can reduce the sailplan by myself. Not the fastest cat though.
Saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 08:17   #29

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

As others have posted size has little to do w seaworthyness...whether multi or mono.

I have a friend who circumnavigated, and later placed well in the Jester Cup, solo on a Tiki 21.

What size (esp. LOA) buys you is more load carrying capacity (important for cruising) and more boat speed potential. It does not make the vessel inheriently more seaworthy.

Big fast ULDB multis now set amazing records but, despite their impressive size they are actually more likely to capsize than my little Wildcat 35 for example....which would I choose for cruising use offshore....not the big high octane multi. For a race w pro crew..lets rock!..for a typical cruising couple...a disaster waiting to happen.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 08:26   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner Porto View Post

For my part though I would not want smaller than 44 feet or bigger than 50 feet for a couple.
Generally I agree, 40 something, works out as a good cruising size whether cat or mono. I think if you did a survey most cruising boats would fall in this range.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruising, water