Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2014, 15:38   #16

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Boat-plans online? Your experience....

I have to respectfully disagree with my learned colleague.

If "almost all" of anything ends in a negative, then that "thing" or "occupation" would surely cease to exist.

In these days of connectivity, everyone would know that building a boat "almost always" ends in money thrown in a pit. If that were true, designers would have no clients building their own boats, and therefore would stop designing for home builders. This hasn't happened. So I respectfully submit, that there must be a fair percentage of those builders, who actually do finish their homebuilt boats.

I'm sure Richard Woods would be able to toss numbers around better than most.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 17:59   #17

All a designer needs to stay in business is income from the plan sales, wether they are finished, half finished or sit in a drawer is irrelevant.
It would be interesting to know how many plan sales actually get completed though.
Over at boatdesign.net oldsailer has sold a heap of Buccaneer 24 plans at $150 a go, very few are being built.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 22:45   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

The WR36 Adriatico design looks good to my eye, and the plans price also looks good.

Have you considered buying the plans and building a balsa and cardboard model at a suitable scale? I did this before I brought Boracay and it crystallized my ideas of what I wanted and while Boracay is less than perfect she's still useful to me some 7 years later.

There are some aspect of DIY that you need to keep in mind. You need a building space that the boat can be moved to a launch site from that is available for at least the estimated building time, you need a job that provides the required income and you need a very understanding significant other.

In particular you need to find the hours to build. I built a 32' ferro and a 21.5' ply from scratch and the WR26 looks to be bigger than both. My limited experience suggests that you'll be looking at more than 6 years from start to launch, with time to completion even longer. Building a model first may shorten this. If you have commitments that will keep you in one place for the anticipated building time then a big project may be feasible.

Some serious costing is also in order. Draw up a list of materials and equipment and cost it. Smaller engines may also help.

I'd also strongly recommend power only (trawler cat?), unless you have a dream of sailing.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc