Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2006, 12:19   #16

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Registration or Licensing

I take great pride in having the boat registered in my name by the Canadian government. Nobody can argue ownership, no matter where you go. However, if you take the boat into Canada, and pay all the fees, you can choose whether to federally register it, or Provincially license it. Either way you get a nice little number that is accepted throughout the Caribbean.

If you do not pay the customs and taxes, you cannot provincially licence it, and that leaves federal registration, which is doable. And if Vasco is correct, it should only be a few hundred dollars or less.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 12:25   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor
In 2002, I was told to get the survey, as they had no other way to fill in the silly requirement on the form. It took me until 2004 to whip and beat the surveyor into getting it done to the Fed's satisfaction. I sure had better places for the money!
I had the same problem when I registered my CS36 in 1988! Paid the tonnage surveyor and he took forever to send the data to DoT. $500 to look at my boat for five minutes. In those days only a few surveyors were approved by DoT so you really didn't have much choice. A friend of mine registered his 42 recently and found a willing surveyor who sent in the data without even eyeballing the boat which was in the southern US. The cut off for no survey is 12 metres.
Old 23-10-2006, 17:02   #18

Boat: Mariah SC23 - Temporary
Sonosailer, Federal registration? In Canada you say. How about in the U.S.A? That possible? Maybe have to head back north to register my new boat with the kids rocky mountain address.
MNDWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 04:46   #19

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
MNDWGZ: No Idea!
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 11:37   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

MDN-
"Sonosailer, Federal registration? ...in the U.S.A? That possible? "

Sure it is possible. First you get Congress to pass legislation creating federal boat registration, then you file for yours.

Short of doing that...there ain't none now, and there's no reason to expect there will be.

Things are done differently in the Canadian Confederation, versus the Federal Republic of the US of A.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 17:51   #21

Boat: Mariah SC23 - Temporary
Here's another one to ponder; If I find the cat I want in the EU, going on a scouting mission to Spain in December, (have to check the cost of changing over the 220V electrics) what kind of documentation and certifications will be required to register it in Forida. Or should I look into what the big boys do fly a Panamanian flag?

hellosailer, don't think I saw that referrendum on my sample ballot, I'll pencil it in.

MN
MNDWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 18:05   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"what kind of documentation and certifications will be required to register it in Forida."
Why not ask Florida? In person, by phone, or online. For any US registrations you'll need proof of title, perhaps going back to a builder's certificate. And even with a Panamanian flag, you'll have to keep moving it out of state to avoid the requirement to register it and pay use tax. And you'll need a cruising permit to keep it in US waters. And, you'll be boarded, inspected, and treated as a foreign vessel.
That's just the start of the fun.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration