Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 10:00   #16

Re: Boats I Like

Oh I like the Dragonfly, had never heard of those before. I know this is the multihull forum and it's a pretty big boat but I really like the Maxi Dolphin MD65

bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 10:39   #17
Marine Service Provider

this is like asking a mother what her who her favorite child is!

My list is quite long!
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 10:40   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
Dragonfly 32

Cheers,

JJ
Cool boat
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 14:42   #19

Hi Factor, What is it in particular that you like about the aluminium cats?
Col Boardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 14:13   #20
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

I was speaking to a french boat builder in st Helena who had built a number of catamarans in both wood and fibreglass .He told me that aluminium is a very poor medium for cats unfortunately we were a number of beers into the conversation and i can;t remember the reason why {he did explain it in some detail ,something to do with aluminium not been able to handle the stress points} . It would be interesting if anyone here could shed some more light on the above.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 06:36   #21

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

I saw some pictures of a PDQ 44 Antares. Love the design, although it looks a little classic. Don't know how it sails, by the way. The only cruiser catamaran I've ever been on, is a 12 meter cat that was stolen in South Africa, sailed to Suriname, South America, and left here on a mooring, where it started to sink after a while. Don't know the brand. The owner of the moorings pulled it on shore years ago and removed the engines. It is still there.

Wim
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 07:00   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

here a design that i would go with:

Old 16-09-2012, 07:23   #23

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
I was speaking to a French boat builder in st Helena who had built a number of catamarans in both wood and fiberglass .He told me that aluminum is a very poor medium for cats unfortunately we were a number of beers into the conversation and i can;t remember the reason why {he did explain it in some detail ,something to do with aluminum not been able to handle the stress points} . It would be interesting if anyone here could shed some more light on the above.
Aluminum is fine for boats. Many decades oid boats are still afloat. I thought I saw a 40 year old mono one recently. Some say it's too heavy for smaller cats. Others disagree. Just take care of it like any boat. Antoine is a famous French sailor that has made a career by making travelogues about his sailing adventures in a 20+ year old alu cat. He's famous to the French anyway. There are some newer alloys like sealium that are supposed to be even better.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:31   #24

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I forgot to add that metal boats can condesate in colder climes. And I guess that they are probably noisier. I would not specifically look for an alu boat nor would I disregard one out of hand because of that fact. A good boat is a good boat.
Old 16-09-2012, 11:37   #25
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
here a design that i would go with:

Nice boat but isn't it missing a hull?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 00:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Occasionally people seem to think that because I own one brand and am the local agent for it that its the only brand in the world?

For the Record

LIKE (where these refer to designers rather than builders then that is predicated on a "well Built" example).

Chris White, Shawn Arber, Lightwave, Perry (Brian), Ian Farrier, most Tony Grainger, Peter Snell "easy", Peter Kerr Lizard Yachts Aluminium Cats, Owen Easton Aluminium Cats, Tim Mumby Alumimium Cats. St Francis 48, Norman Cross Tris, Roger Simpson Tris, Chris Mashford. Also Outremer, Tourneir Marine Freydis, and anything pretty much by Eric Lerouge. Kurt Hughes, but more so his tris. The Windspeed series in the Crowther line up, John Hitch's Exit design. The PDQs 32 and 36 but not the 36 LRC so much. The Maine Cat I haven;t sailed but I think I like it, I certainly like the design.

A good oram or schionning is a good thing. More so in Schionning's case in the wilderness end of the range than the waterline (but thats my personal taste).

I think Mark Pescott Whitehaven series are an exceptionally good thing. I think Ray Kendrick designed the sweetest small tris ever.

I like some of the Morelli Melvin Leopards. I think I would like the Maverick, but havent yet sailed one so cant be sure. I like early Catanas.

I dont personally get excited about the older British cats (Twins, Oceanic etc) but respect them as good solid boats and note that people were doing Cape Horn in them 30 or more years ago.

I will have missed some I am sure,

There are a lot more boats/designs in the world that I like than dislike. And If I were to win Lotto tonight - I think it could be a really big Chris White Tri for me. But I would need the lotto win to afford to own enough space to park the boat as well as buy it!
Thanks Factor,
That is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. I am presently putting the finishing touches to one of my Scarab 22s to sell and make room in the shed for building my new Scarab 32. It will not be trailerable and I will keep it on a mooring at Tin Can Bay. Most of the sailing will be in the Great Sandy Straits but with trips ranging from the Whitsundays to Sydney. I have the floats and beams built and will be starting on the main hull soon.
Hope you are having a great time on the Seawind.
Old 11-10-2012, 00:25   #27

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Cool boat
Yup,this vid is pretty cool too,obviously any tri can have a bigger mono for breakfast except the mono in this vid is the latest Pogo 50,not a slow boat..ah yes perhaps they did not wanna play who knows hey
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:29   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If I were insane enough (and rich enough) to own two boats, the second one would be a Dragonfly, although I am a dyed-in-the-wool mono sailor. The Dragonfly is just insanely cool, ingeniously conceived, fantastic.

The only things I would ever want in a boat, which I don't have in my present boat, are (a) even more speed; and (b) creek-crawling draft. I used to fantasize about a bilge keeler for the (b) factor. But a Dragonfly does both
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:45   #29

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
I was speaking to a french boat builder in st Helena who had built a number of catamarans in both wood and fibreglass .He told me that aluminium is a very poor medium for cats unfortunately we were a number of beers into the conversation and i can;t remember the reason why {he did explain it in some detail ,something to do with aluminium not been able to handle the stress points} . It would be interesting if anyone here could shed some more light on the above.
For my personal usage, I would probably not consider an aluminum boat.
1) Pinging/drum noises from the water (I imagine this is true)
2) I can repair fiberglass on a sandy beach with practically no tools, equipment, or skills
3) Cold conduction (ok, heat conduction if you like) and the accompanying condensation that would be likely to occur
4) I wouldn't like the look of seams and rivets - perhaps this is not really an issue
5) The various complexities that would come along with bringing an aluminum catamaran to a boat yard and requesting service, repairs, advice, etc.
6) If it were cheaper, it might be a factor. I can only guess that aluminum construction will be more expensive. If a nice used boat were half the price, though, I would give it a good look.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
For my personal usage, I would probably not consider an aluminum boat.
1) Pinging/drum noises from the water (I imagine this is true)
2) I can repair fiberglass on a sandy beach with practically no tools, equipment, or skills
3) Cold conduction (ok, heat conduction if you like) and the accompanying condensation that would be likely to occur
4) I wouldn't like the look of seams and rivets - perhaps this is not really an issue
5) The various complexities that would come along with bringing an aluminum catamaran to a boat yard and requesting service, repairs, advice, etc.
6) If it were cheaper, it might be a factor. I can only guess that aluminum construction will be more expensive. If a nice used boat were half the price, though, I would give it a good look.
Aluminium cruising boats have much less condensation problems than an a fiberglass boat the are quieter as well.
Aluminium cruising boats are welded never riveted. If you can see the welding (other than in the bilge) run.
Aluminium is easy to repair. Repairs, if required, can be welded retaining the original strength and weight.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote