Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 13:15   #1

Boatyards in Chaguaramas, Trinidad

Hi!
I am looking for any recent info on the Boat yards in Chaguaramas. I am looking at either Power Boats or Peakes and would love some feedback on either.
We have a 44' Catamaran and we will be having the bottom cleaned.
Thanks for any advice.
All is found is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 13:33   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 2008
Re: Boatyards in Chaguaramas, Trinidad

We used power Boats. Lower price than Peakes. They allow any contractors you hire or you can work on your own. Peakes does have a lift for the cat. Power Boats will pull it out in a trailer. The owner did the pulling for our cat and he was very careful to only place trailer grips where appropriate for weight bearing points. We would go there again for sure. If you are going to leave the boat for any length or need someone local with knowledge of who to hire and who to avoid, find Paul Dakin. He’s a regular at TTSA and Power Boats. We hired him to manage our projects while we were away. We’ve sailed on and are now sad we can’t find someone as reliable and trustworthy as him on other islands.
Code Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 14:26   #3

Is there any way you could provide me with some contact info for Paul?
I am still leaning toward Peakes as our insurance provides zero coverage for the boat on a trailer for any length of time. (So your response has been very helpful with respect to the haulout...thank you)
All is found is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 14:38   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 2008

The trailer is only used to pull out of the water and put back in. On the hard you’ll be on stands and chalks. Check your private message for Paul’s contact info.
I hope all turns out well for you.
Code Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 15:12   #5

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by All is found View Post
... as our insurance provides zero coverage for the boat on a trailer for any length of time. ...
That's unfortunate. Hauling out with a proper hydraulic trailer lifting under the bridge deck was I think the best way to haul our boat (Catana 48) and widely recommended in the industry. I don't have statistics, but to my mind it was a safer method than a travel lift, and especially a crane where you have to deal with possibility of the boat spinning. Maybe double check with your insurance company as to whether the wording is standard wording in the contract that is meant for trailerable boats on trailers?

I too have used Power Boats (in 2014) and was impressed with them. I don't have any data on Peakes, but Power Boats was friendly to a mix of DIY and contracted work on the boat. They also were good at project managing subcontractors who might be working on your boat through them.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 16:41   #6

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

With my 40foot catamaran I was in 2005 at the Peakes Boatyard (ask how much beam they can take out, my cat had 21,3 foot) and in sommer 2012 my cat was at Powerboats. She was taken out with a trailer and placed on blocks on her keels for about 6 months. I was happy on both locations. Just ask for a quotation by e-mail. For defintive booking I had to pay a deposit.
Good luck!
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 14:11   #7

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

Our monohull is currently stored at Peakes and they have given us excellent service over two seasons. Both Peakes and Powerboats are great yards and both have staunch repeat customers each season. With the carnage from the 2017 hurricane season l would imagine they will be pretty busy this season.

Tags
boat, boatyards