Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2021, 09:02   #196
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Broken Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Frank View Post
This seems like a group wide quality issue. Don't know when they started but the monohulls are glued together also.

Beneteau group tend to use interior “ floor “ linings glued with plexus to the hull instead of stringers.

By and large it works even if repairs can be damned difficult.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:23   #197

Whoever that goofy shaggy haired helper he has on parlay is a god damned god send. That dude seems down for whatever terrible task they have to get the boat floating again. As someone who has worked with glass a lot, it gives me terrible ptsd watching these vids. Doing glass work anywhere is awful, but doing it in the bilge of a boat in the tropics while nude is absolute sadism.
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:36   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
Whoever that goofy shaggy haired helper he has on parlay is a god damned god send. That dude seems down for whatever terrible task they have to get the boat floating again. As someone who has worked with glass a lot, it gives me terrible ptsd watching these vids. Doing glass work anywhere is awful, but doing it in the bilge of a boat in the tropics while nude is absolute sadism.
That shaggy bloke is Jamie. And I totally agree. He's been the only constant on the boat since about episode 4. Colin is a SUPER capable guy and one of the few Lagoon owners that could actually accomplish the task. But even Colin would have been severely stymied in his efforts with out Jamie.

What is also interesting is there is (was) a different lagoon 450 owner that tracked down Parlay in Panama, sailed to Linton Bay and hauled out right next door. I think his name is David. He doesn't post to Youtube as frequently, but has gotten Colin to come aboard and offer advice. His family has already returned to Texas. He could be looking at months if not years of dirty, sweaty glass work if he can't find his own version of a Jamie.
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:33   #199

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I am really impressed how quickly they ripped out everything and fixed so many issues.

Also how well and fast they rebuilt the interior after this mayham. Respect!
Old 06-07-2021, 11:09   #200
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
A well played lawsuit could get them banned from selling in the US. That would not be an easy financial pill to swallow.
how you first must be a customer (the buyer of the new boat) of lagoon company.All this broken lagoon have history be in charter Caribbean, hurricane and must important original buyer write contract wher is clear. the boat is not for commercial use, warranty cover only private use and only 3 year from delivery. Charter company have warranty from delivery france 2-3 weeks only for transfer in base. and also all these boats broke the main rule max weight.
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:15   #201
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I am really impressed how quickly they ripped out everything and fixed so many issues.

Also how well and fast they rebuilt the interior after this mayham. Respect!
Because is a young and good hard worker. But also i think help is totally remote place, marina expenses on head and investment all savings in this boat.
But what i see on vid, first class hard worker.I can only bow to the floor to good workers. this is almost a Japanese worker but lot faster
Old 06-07-2021, 11:19   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
Because is a young and good hard worker. But also i think help is totally remote place, marina expenses on head and investment all savings in this boat.
But what i see on vid, first class hard worker.I can only bow to the floor to good workers. this is almost a Japanese worker but lot faster

That and stuff goes pretty quickly when you have 8/12/14 hours a day, for months and months to dedicate to a project.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:24   #203
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
That and stuff goes pretty quickly when you have 8/12/14 hours a day, for months and months to dedicate to a project.
I have to be honest and say, if I were in their shoes I would light a catamaran and go home. I no longer have the strength to work 10-14 hours a day. Except for my job sailing around Croatia island. When i need for example paint an interior exterior boat i simple sale boat and buy new.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:25   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
Don't charter companies rely on either people buying the boat and placing it in charter or buying the boat from them at the end of it's use as a charter boat? If nobody is buying a lagoon new or used, the charter companies may move away from the brand.

The business model presumes a resale value at the end of the term of ownership.... just like a car lease. It's all part of the cost of ownership and operation, and the ONLY income stream is charter income. Rates have to be competitive with everybody else... it all comes off the bottom line. Chartering looks like a very high overhead business, probably not a high margin business. I've been in business virtually all my adult life.. things are not as rosy as they might look from the outside. A lot of businesses that look like "high rollers", are running on a far narrower margin than one would imagine. The cash comes in one hand and out the other. It's amazing that some businesses can stay afloat.
I know that if I were running a charter business, something like this would be a red flag I'd want to see miles in advance... bad news travels VERY FAST, and the mere question of the integrity of Lagoon construction is enough that with social media, etc... It is likely that many potential buyers have dropped Lagoon to a lower level of desirability. These problems are out of sight to the extent that a normal survey may not pick up until they are advanced.....Just imagine being a marine surveyor asked to do a survey on one of these boats! Knowing the recent history of problems with these boats only an utter fool would put his name on a survey..... all the paneling and junk cover any signs of impending failure and half assed construction...."lipstick on a pig"!
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 13:49   #205

I firmly believe, this will cause long term damage to the value of every lagoon. At this point the problem is only 450's, but it is showing possible design flaws. Those design flaws, glued not tabbed bulk heads, exposed ply, bridge deck supports that are not actually cut out to be a nice fit to the bridge deck, and the difficulty of repair is in every lagoon. They are not going to take short cuts in just one model and size, it goes across every lagoon.
Old 06-07-2021, 14:03   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillintheblank View Post
I firmly believe, this will cause long term damage to the value of every lagoon. At this point the problem is only 450's, but it is showing possible design flaws. Those design flaws, glued not tabbed bulk heads, exposed ply, bridge deck supports that are not actually cut out to be a nice fit to the bridge deck, and the difficulty of repair is in every lagoon. They are not going to take short cuts in just one model and size, it goes across every lagoon.
Every Lagoon? How do you know this? Also, I've personally seen FP cats that have the exact same bulkhead construction.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 14:05   #207

Quote:
I firmly believe, this will cause long term damage to the value of every lagoon.
If there were to ever come a time that I could even afford one, I wouldn't buy it having seen this issue exposed.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 14:09   #208
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
You think, Customer for charter want Lagoon. Why because is big , spacious cheap. easy work and stay in charter 10-15 year.
Mono max 7 years. Lagoon 45 make in week 7-15000 € and f---ing 1 don't have problem in Croatia. why becouse this boat never be on the wind over 30 knots and wave over 3-4 meter. and sail maybe 5% charter life, usually motoring 2-4 hour in day and rest stay in marina and maybe 3-5 hour in the bay for a swim. simple lagoon is money factory vs Outremer, balance nautitech Lagoon 62-67 is a mistake for business but good catamaran .
Old 06-07-2021, 14:15   #209
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Correct. The Med charter market is buying cats like crazy. Lagoon won’t card about a few private customers. They’ll fix the issues quietly.
Old 06-07-2021, 14:30   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
Every Lagoon? How do you know this? Also, I've personally seen FP cats that have the exact same bulkhead construction.
Your right I have not crawled in every model of lagoon, or for that matter even one. I have seen a few vids of the bilges in other model lagoons, I have seen vids of other makes and sizes of other makes.

If you build one size with glued bulk heads, you probably build every size with glued bulk heads. Leopard ( who is not perfect either ) every pic and vid I have seen of a bilge shows glassed in and painted ( gel coat ) tabs no matter the size.

Chrysler had a rep of bad electronics and trans, it was not just one model of chrysler. Toyota trucks got a rep of rust, it was not just the tacoma.

You bring up FP, was it only one model/size that blister problems, or was it more than one?

Lastly, the statement was made by me. its my opinion, this will hurt the value of every lagoon. People will read it, and I mean not sailing people, but people looking to get in to sailing. They wont necessarily remember it as a lagoon 450 but they will remember lagoon. How many hunters monos are still dealing with the post 1985 issues they had? I had a 1983 hunter 27, solid boat, but all I ever heard was "hunters have problems".

Tags
lagoon