Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2021, 12:54   #271
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Broken Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snerf1 View Post
And so we come full circle to discover what previous generations of builders already knew

It's a universal constant that each generation thinks it's experiences are unique

But if we were to speak to a shipwright 150 years ago, what would he advise?

Same old, same old. So why do we stray? Why is the ocean unchanging, uncaring - we know the potential hazards, risk, and danger.

and yet the shiny new thing, completely unseaworthy, attracts buyers ignoring the gods of copybook heading

And the Corp sharks who know full well their targeted audiences no different than marks in a con game

Why do we stray.

Simples. Every one wants more for less money

Something has to give

Otherwise please pay 1 million for the perfect 45 foot catamaran.
Old 12-07-2021, 13:59   #272

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

There will be some opportunities for a bargain for unfixed boats for sure, but at the moment the prices are still up on yachtworld, the demand is still high.

Anyway, if a used 450S is listed for 600k or more, maybe then really selling for 500k and you get an unfixed for 400k, invest 60k in a fix, you are still better off. 60k looks like a lot of money, but compared to the overal value of the boats it is still very attractive for skilled buyers or businesses, that buy, fix and resell. They do it with hurricane wrecks all the time.

It is a maybe 2..3 week job on the hard for a specialized team, and you pay the wages plus make 80k in a month if you fix and flip 2 boats.

If you DIY, you probably can fix it for under 20k with haul out and marina fees in most cheap labor countries by hiring some guys to help you, they cost 50...100$ per day and not per hour.
Old 12-07-2021, 14:34   #273

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Not a big deal unless you're down in both skill and money.
For the later, grow a pair and upskill.

Not that it should let the manufacturer off the hook for crap QC.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 14:46   #274
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post

Anyway, if a used 450S is listed for 600k or more, maybe then really selling for 500k and you get an unfixed for 400k, invest 60k in a fix, you are still better off. 60k looks like a lot of money, but compared to the overal value of the boats it is still very attractive for skilled buyers or businesses, that buy, fix and resell. They do it with hurricane wrecks all the time.
what you talking 550-600k is new Lagoon 46
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 15:26   #275

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
Seth said this about Lagoons, if he felt his 380 didn’t fit into this category of construction quality, he would of mentioned it.

“Hull Construction, durability: While all fiberglass boats can become victims of delamination and osmosis, there have been an inordinate number of reports of Lagoons with hull construction and bulkhead separation issues. We've personally met several ex-Lagoon owner's that bought brand new boats, only to have so many issues with them they traded them in for something else. If you are going to buy a Lagoon (new or used!), please ensure that your surveyor thoroughly checks for these issues. Although not specific to just Lagoon, it is terrible to see these issues appearing in many of today's "production" cats and new cat buyers should be aware.”

No mention that he didnt have these issues with his 380.
Strange logic: I have met many men who lost their hair. Does that make me a baldhead?

He has not mentioned he did have such issues. At the time he wrote that quoted blog entry the boat was already sold so no reason to keep such secret.
Overall rating for the 380 was he'd buy one again for a similar trip.

I have been onboard maybe 20-25 Lagoon 380, and none had bulkhead warping. This would be immediately visible because you actually see most of the bulkhead structure.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 15:51   #276
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Strange logic: I have met many men who lost their hair. Does that make me a baldhead?

He has not mentioned he did have such issues. At the time he wrote that quoted blog entry the boat was already sold so no reason to keep such secret.
Overall rating for the 380 was he'd buy one again for a similar trip.

I have been onboard maybe 20-25 Lagoon 380, and none had bulkhead warping. This would be immediately visible because you actually see most of the bulkhead structure.

Maybe he didn’t have issues with his 380, but it sure is a bold statement that seems to involve all models?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 15:52   #277

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
I've been told but I don't have any expertise, that the models with the mast moved aft have the main support under the compression post and that it's metal and part of the bridge deck structure. The other bulkhead is the engine bulkhead nearer the shrouds.

I was told that all the doorways are glued to the hull and mainly provide structural support for furniture and cabinetry.

I was also told by a shipyard, that I shouldn't have them fiberglass the "bulkheads" that are glued because it could lead to the panels cracking or hull damage since they need to flex.

This was in a 42 that I wanted to make stronger similar to what Cat Impi did on their 440. We've sailed full-time on this boat and have 18,000 NM on her so far and we haven't experienced any structural issues and yes, I climb around everywhere and look with a boroscope as well.

Crayiii what year is the 42?
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 16:04   #278

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
Really? Where?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 16:06   #279

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
list price... Without options, delivery, tax maybe.
Old 12-07-2021, 16:12   #280

Quote:
There will be some opportunities for a bargain for unfixed boats for sure, but at the moment the prices are still up on yachtworld, the demand is still high.

It is a maybe 2..3 week job on the hard for a specialized team, and you pay the wages plus make 80k in a month if you fix and flip 2 boats.

If you DIY, you probably can fix it for under 20k with haul out and marina fees in most cheap labor countries by hiring some guys to help you, they cost 50...100$ per day and not per hour.
Of the 120 Lagoon 450's on yachtworld, less than half are listed above 500k, and only 12 are listed above 600k. About 20 are listed below 400k. I don't know if your 600k was an average at some point recently, if so, it would seem that the market is softening. I don't have experience getting boat work done in cheap labor countries, but your repair estimates seem very optimistic, both in cost and in time.
Old 12-07-2021, 16:13   #281

Quote:
Right, so in reality probably more like 850-1M.
Old 12-07-2021, 16:44   #282
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Lagoon newer delivery yacht,you must pay 5-10000€ to to delivery couple km to sea. some options basic eletronic. But we know also this price is 20-30% overprice because of high demand. Best price possible negotiate July 1/2 august
Old 12-07-2021, 16:48   #283
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Really? Where?
Bordeaux France
Old 12-07-2021, 16:55   #284

Quote:
Bordeaux France
I have serious doubts that anyone is sailing away on a new Lagoon 46 for $600k.
Old 12-07-2021, 17:07   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I have serious doubts that anyone is sailing away on a new Lagoon 46 for $600k.
Not even close
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon