Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2021, 13:50   #301

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Broken Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
I got a quote for a 3 cabin 450 S on 8 June 2021.

Included all of my wish list.

Total ex factory was €612 000 or roughly $734 000.

It would be ready to cruise.

Broker suggested adding on the comfort pack. Add € 26000.

My 2 cents.

Someone posted on this thread or another one recently that a Seawind 1370 (or any Seawind) would cost significantly more than a Lagoon. The base price for a 45' SW1370 is $699.000 US dollars so it's not too far off.

Aq what was the base price on the 450S?
Old 13-07-2021, 15:05   #302

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Someone posted on this thread or another one recently that a Seawind 1370 (or any Seawind) would cost significantly more than a Lagoon. The base price for a 45' SW1370 is $699.000 US dollars so it's not too far off.

https://www.lagoon-catamaran.de/file...50S_2022_A.pdf

Current Pricelist with all factory options for the SportTop (450S)
Old 13-07-2021, 15:10   #303
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Agree, it is not a separation issue of the bulkhead from the hull. The thin plywood rim around the door simply is overwhelmed by the pressure of the twisting structure and brakes at the weakest points. This needs re-enforcements and bonding.

It is not only Lagoons fault, customers demand a standing height and big square comfortable doors, so the bulkhead rims get smaller and smaller with each remake.

The other failures are a result of the broken main bulkhead as they take over the forces from the broken one, they then may separate from the hull (glue fail) because the material does not give in that easily. It is always the weakest link, that brakes.

Regarding deck to hull bonding - this is simply a design issue, that the applied glue does not touch the other surface, maybe an production issue of not propery alligned hull and deck. before the bonding both structures are quite flexible given their shape and size. The deck makes out of them a sturdy box.

Sorry but you really can’t blame the customer for problems arising from their need for larger doorways. Lagoon has the right to either deny their request or engineer a solution, that’s their job.
The bulkhead cutout for the doorways on the 450 are ridiculous. So little meat left in the bulkhead as well as 90 degree cut corners instead of a radius, it doesn’t take an engineer to realize that is a bad design.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 16:07   #304

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Sorry but you really can’t blame the customer for problems arising from their need for larger doorways. Lagoon has the right to either deny their request or engineer a solution, that’s their job.
The bulkhead cutout for the doorways on the 450 are ridiculous. So little meat left in the bulkhead as well as 90 degree cut corners instead of a radius, it doesn’t take an engineer to realize that is a bad design.
Agree, but the Admirals like them. And without WAF (wife acceptance factor), no boat.
Old 13-07-2021, 18:19   #305

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Agree, but the Admirals like them. And without WAF (wife acceptance factor), no boat.

Pick a new Admiral - thinking a boat is just a floating house is ridiculous but of course that is the lifestyle for some.

I’m so thankful my wife wanted, enjoys, and loves our sailing boat that was designed and engineered for sailing first (and acknowledging that the larger new generation designs seem to have some issues similar to the 450).
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 19:01   #306

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post

The solution is a better hull shape, design and construction.

As I keep repeating, how is it that Crowther, schionning, pescott, Tennant etc etc can design cats that have bulkheads stay intact and doorways big enough?

From what I have seen in the pictures, what Lagoon call bulkheads anyone else with half a clue calls packing crates.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 20:02   #307
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Agree, but the some Admirals like them. And without WAF (wife acceptance factor), no boat.
FIXED
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 07:49   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
You're a jerk. What a dick thing to say.

I'd call that being realistic.......... some people are just mismatched.... It's OK for the rest of us to think it, but he's a "jerk" for saying it??

"Pick a new Admiral - thinking a boat is just a floating house is ridiculous but of course that is the lifestyle for some.

I’m so thankful my wife wanted, enjoys, and loves our sailing boat that was designed and engineered for sailing first (and acknowledging that the larger new generation designs seem to have some issues similar to the 450)."
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 07:55   #309

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post

That’s not really a fair comparison. You cannot compare a fully spec’d yacht to a base price. I am pretty sure you can add an extra $200-$250k on to that base price to get a cruise ready yacht.

Base for Lagoon 450s was € 426 000 or $502 000
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 08:04   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Pick a new Admiral - thinking a boat is just a floating house is ridiculous but of course that is the lifestyle for some.

I’m so thankful my wife wanted, enjoys, and loves our sailing boat that was designed and engineered for sailing first (and acknowledging that the larger new generation designs seem to have some issues similar to the 450).
Who are you referring to as Admirals?
Old 14-07-2021, 08:19   #311

What other current boats/models are designed by the same naval architect? I wonder if those designs should be looked at closely as well.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 09:08   #312

Boat: CS 36 Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Who are you referring to as Admirals?
It's a passive-aggressive term used by old sailors to refer to their wives. It's part of a schtick where the man blames the wife for whatever problem he's facing.

It's frankly insulting and misogynistic to refer to someone's wife as an admiral instead of an equal partner in which both parties should be responsible for their choices (boat or otherwise).
OliveJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 09:19   #313

Boat: Lagoon 42

Admiral is a boat owners wife.

The rest of the post, sUggesting, or thinking, that someone should end a relationship because of a choice of boat is moronic, at best.
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 10:04   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
What other current boats/models are designed by the same naval architect? I wonder if those designs should be looked at closely as well.
Good point. Now, as Holmes famously said, the game is afoot.

If you want a mind blow, take a moment to browse through YW. The volume of Ben, Jen and Goon dominating any search profile is staggering.

Since it seems the market has already reacted to the first order effect, the next quest will be to uncover related design or build processes.

The roll through has just started. Any builder even remotely associated will be tainted.

While these discussion threads are great and talk of lawsuits are fine, the damage has already been done. The easiest thing to do is NOT spend discretionary money.

No protests, no angry demands, just a thousand quiet soundless exits from the market.
Snerf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 10:48   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveJuice View Post
It's a passive-aggressive term used by old sailors to refer to their wives. It's part of a schtick where the man blames the wife for whatever problem he's facing.

It's frankly insulting and misogynistic to refer to someone's wife as an admiral instead of an equal partner in which both parties should be responsible for their choices (boat or otherwise).
As I thought, just wanted to be sure.

Buying a yacht is a joint decision, especially if you plan to cruise or spend a lot of time on it. It’s most often A large financial outlay as well, so again, it needs to be a joint decision. I cannot imagine anyone in a healthy relationship doing it any other way.

Then there’s the old saying....

“HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE”

Besides, it’s a very expensive exercise changing the Admiral!! No way I am downgrading to a monohull!

Tags
lagoon