Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2021, 11:54   #406

Re: Broken Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I also have about 150 photos of a 450 where outer hull skin varied in thickness from 2mm to about 3/8".

In this infrared, the white areas are less than 2mm thick and moisture levels in the glass are in the very high range. . This was a boat just delivered to Canada on it's own bottom. They could not figure out where the water was coming from so I was hored to find out. Turns out is was leaching right through the very thin glass around the sail drives (an uncored area).

PS. I drilled holes and used a hooked screwdriver and black tape to measure thickness.

These poor quality construction feature/quality/engineering issues are not unique to Beneteau built cats. I've seen them in Bene monohulls,Jeanneau, Dufour, Bavaria and Hanse. I found a 4'X2' area in the bottom of a new Hanse (that had never been in the water) that I could flex the bottom over an inch with my hand pressure. The broker/dealer told me fiberglass is supposed to be flexible !

This is horrifying!! 2mm thickness is NOTHING. .078 inches!!! Of course the issue is hired help and quality control. These things however flow down from the top..."Sh_t runs downhill" as they say, so it all reflects poor leadership, and a lack of commitment to quality control. Having had employees myself, I can speak with some authority that you cannot let your guard down. It is up to YOU to make sure they produce quality work. Lagoon obviously lacks this top down control....... all it takes is ONE weak link. In a business structure with multiple levels, each level MUST monitor the level below aggressively at all times to make sure they are actually doing their job. That is NOT happening at Group Beneteau or Lagoon........"heads need to roll". If you are not doing your job... which in many cases means making sure the guy below you is doing his job, you do not deserve to hold that job. Good execs keep a finger on the pulse at every level below them, but what they actually do, they do through the established channels. When this structure breaks down, you are headed for rocks and shoals... for chaos. This is what apparently happened at Lagoon. It is time to clean house from top to bottom!
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 12:20   #407

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Quote:
I also have about 150 photos of a 450 where outer hull skin varied in thickness from 2mm to about 3/8".

In this infrared, the white areas are less than 2mm thick and moisture levels in the glass are in the very high range. . This was a boat just delivered to Canada on it's own bottom. They could not figure out where the water was coming from so I was hored to find out. Turns out is was leaching right through the very thin glass around the sail drives (an uncored area).

PS. I drilled holes and used a hooked screwdriver and black tape to measure thickness.

These poor quality construction feature/quality/engineering issues are not unique to Beneteau built cats. I've seen them in Bene monohulls,Jeanneau, Dufour, Bavaria and Hanse. I found a 4'X2' area in the bottom of a new Hanse (that had never been in the water) that I could flex the bottom over an inch with my hand pressure. The broker/dealer told me fiberglass is supposed to be flexible !
That is incredible. I was extremely relieved when I replaced the ball valves with seacocks on my *gasp* hunter that the hull was never less than 3/4" thick.

I always figured Beneteau was the upgrade in production boats.
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 16:32   #408

Quote:
They could not figure out where the water was coming from so I was hored to find out.
People are seldom so forthright about their profession
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 16:33   #409
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post

Now that was funny![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 17:03   #410
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post

oops slip of the finger but I do somewhat agree about the profession in genersl
Old 30-07-2021, 09:29   #411

Wait, aren’t these hulls laid up dry with cloth and resin injection? If so, how can there be any spots too thin, unless a whole area was not laid in according to design? Or did they go back to using a chopper gun on these?
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 09:57   #412
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
Wait, aren’t these hulls laid up dry with cloth and resin injection? If so, how can there be any spots too thin, unless a whole area was not laid in according to design? Or did they go back to using a chopper gun on these?

They ain't the only ones. How about this Regal powerboat bottom with 3 sq' with no glass at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QUALITY CONTROL.gif
Views:	120
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	242993  
Old 30-07-2021, 10:38   #413

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post

Resin injection is expensive. These hulls are likely laid up with sheets of cloth, buckets of resin and rollers.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 11:05   #414
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Resin injection is expensive. These hulls are likely laid up with sheets of cloth, buckets of resin and rollers.
I can't find my photos but do a liitle online research on the two Bertram resin infused boats that came apart on their delivery cruise, One of them sank when the entire bow delaminated. The other one made it with sheets of glass hanging off the topsides
Old 30-07-2021, 11:36   #415

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
I can't find my photos but do a liitle online research on the two Bertram resin infused boats that came apart on their delivery cruise, One of them sank when the entire bow delaminated. The other one made it with sheets of glass hanging off the topsides

I’ve seen the latter……those were infused?!? Wow!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 15:35   #416

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

And yet people (and insurance companies) have concerns about home built glass over ply construction being of poor quality...

I agree they can have their own issues too, but the thinking of 'let's buy a well known fibreglass production boat to avoid issues' isn't necessarily the panacea that it should be.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 17:06   #417
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
And yet people (and insurance companies) have concerns about home built glass over ply construction being of poor quality...

I agree they can have their own issues too, but the thinking of 'let's buy a well known fibreglass production boat to avoid issues' isn't necessarily the panacea that it should be.

Well known fiberglass production boat......that be the polyester resin with the balsa wood cored vessel?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 17:36   #418

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Well known fiberglass production boat......that be the polyester resin with the balsa wood cored vessel?
Yes
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 19:54   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post

The men who decide coverage policies are only human, and their policies are often NOT based on reality, but on their own prejudices. The classic example and one of my pet peeves is tire shops that steadfastly refuse to lubricate the threads on the studs when they install tires because their insurance company will not allow them to.... really??? Do they think if you oil the threads the nuts will come off and the tire fall off??? Idiots!! You can't get proper torque if you install them dry. I have to take the lugs off and lubricate the threads after I leave. There are ignorant ******** in every profession!
owly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon