Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 22:30   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Norson
Greetings Y'all

I been away for a while. Really intersting.... kiri? hmmm I will check that out, thanks! Yes Dave.... the dark side it is. I was hoping to announce the purchase of a F9R farrier last week. Drove from Bowen to Manly basin to have a look and turned out to be badly ....overadvertised... ****! 3000 k's there and back past uncountable speed traps and random drug searches. I was hoping to get that boat to hold me off till I got settled in new property where I can start a one year (hopefully) project.

Anyway, I am pleased at the new input and discussion.

Cheers
Bob you drove past Bob Oram's place twice in that trip! You should have stopped in for a chat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:31   #47
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
you get stopped for random drug searches driving around Oz?? You must be pretty scary looking.
Old 04-10-2006, 23:58   #48
Bob Norson

Greetings Y'all

hey 44 cruising cat... that wouldn't be a 44C would it? Look.. I had all the abuse that trip I needed or even wanted. But you are correct in the long run. as plan "B" failed it's back to the "A" plan which is to bludge a room at casa de Oram for a couple days and argue boat design with someone far more knowledgable than me.... Like bringing a knife to a gun fight.. Think I'm looking forward to this!? I've got some sketches that should provide Bob with no end of amusement.

Hey canibul... Wa da you...? A freind of Bob Oram's!? Course scary looking is only one of many insults I'm steeling myself for.

Seriously, The queensland government is doing very scary things lately. I heard about such gestapo crap in the news but was (nearly) confronted with it on the way south to look at the boat. The cops had filled truck park/inspection areas on both sides of the road with cars from both directions. The car before me was the last they could fit in. I drove by in a mix or horror and gratitude that I wasn't a second or two earlier. I saw a lot as I drove by but didn't get the whole story till I called Kay and she gave me the scoop from TV news. They were running dogs through everyones cars and persons!! This is such a gross violation of my beleifs of personal privacy and traditional English law going back to magna carta that I don't know if I could go through it with out snapping.

OK.. a bit OT
Old 05-10-2006, 02:17   #49

Boat: now floating easy37
currently i am building a ply boat as i want to build quickly and be cruising quickly, however i could be tempted to the darkside(balsa composite) if a designer could be persuaded to believe that composite curves are really more work than they deserve to be, i like the look of the boat i am currently building but reckon it could be even quicker if made out of composite due to not needing to put stringers etc in, this is what my boat will look like when finished, and is rather pretty for a ply boat, imagine having something like this that can be built in under 2000hrs and has the s25%weight advantage of a balsa boat
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:20   #50

how do you actually get the photo to paste into the page
Old 05-10-2006, 02:21   #51

just figured it out
sean
Old 05-10-2006, 17:37   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
currently i am building a ply boat as i want to build quickly and be cruising quickly, however i could be tempted to the darkside(balsa composite) if a designer could be persuaded to believe that composite curves are really more work than they deserve to be

You should have a look at Bob Oram's designs . He minimizes the use of compound curves, in fact some of his designs don't have any at all. (However the builder is free to incorporate some if he desires) The build process is surprisingly quick for such a big boat, and Duflex is incredibly strong for it's weight, or light for it's strength, depending on how you look at it.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 22:29   #53

yes i have looked at his designs, his 44 looks nice still to many curves in the turret though, curves =sanding which i rank just ahead of digging in terms of things i want to do
sean
Old 07-10-2006, 01:42   #54

Boat: Privilege 37
cedar strips shapped in a U profile are used in UK (and AFAIK in N America) The U profile makes it easier to follow the compound curves. the epoxy makes a strong boat, and its possible to clean the inside and have a nice wooden wall.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:41   #55

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I have used these on an f 31 and found that it was almost as fast using square edge planks. A hell of a lot of planks need cuts and tapers in them , so the u or the tongue and groove [which can cost more to have machined than the timber itself] ends up on the floor as scrap. [of course this is only my opinion]

Dave
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 01:32   #56

This company makes kits for Cats too.

http://www.kit-cats.com/
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 04:29   #57
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Do you know anything about Kit-Cats? I've never heard of them. Their Sail Cat looks pretty interesting.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 16:26   #58

I don't know anything about KIT CATS

Looks like a few people have build them both Sail and Motor Cat.
Looks like they make them in diffrent stages depending how much
you want to do yourself.
They are just North of me. Im in Bradenton. If Im up that way I might look them up sometime.
I notice they use twin outboards.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 18:11   #59

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Any one got any idea what they are made out of??

Couldnt find anything on the site but found one pic that suggest they may be solid glass panels.

Surely not.

Looking at the hole in the top of pic 1 and at the shelf edges in pic 1 it sort of looks like Nidaplast, a plastic honeycomb.

That 45 powercat looks nice though

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kit Kat 45.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	545  

Old 15-11-2006, 23:53   #60
Bob Norson

Greetings Cat people...

I've been away for a while and finishing up a new TCP... the hardest one yet.. getting it printed that is.. big stuff up and late getting out but finally got it right.

I took a look at the "kit-cat" site and I found it woefully short on important information... like design background..who drew this? What kind of materials?? looks very sus to me.

BTW.. the lead stories in the new TCP are;

1. The mono Cat
2. The cargo Cat
3. The stable Cat and..
4. Just bought a Cat.

Q. Think I've gone over the edge?
http://www.thecoastalpassage.com.au/...%20page/22.jpg

Hey Dave.... an HST fan eh.... you sick puppy!

I was living in Vegas when he was there to cover the Barstow Vegas race and when the DA's convention was at Circus Circus... it really did happen. (from... fear and loathing etc)

Long story.. I was on my way to Yucatan and went broke there and worked in a "Gas Station" for 6 months to get on the road again....

Read "Lono"?

Cheers

« proas? | Used Cat's »