Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 07:33   #1

Buyers broker recommendations?

I am starting the used Catamaran search and I am looking for buyer broker recommendations that specialize in Catamaran in the West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, Miami area.

Thinking about driving down the first week of July taking a look at a few boats and then talking with a few potential buyers brokers.

Any recommendations?
CapnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 08:40   #2

Re: Buyers broker recommendations?

Hit up Wiley sharp. I believe he goes by the handle FLLcatsailor on this forum. Or just go to Denison yachts and get his email.
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 09:07   #3

Boat: Aloha 34

Terry Grimbeek at Just Cats in Dania Beach. 954-589-2343 Terry@justcatamarans.net

Good hunting!

Steve
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 10:30   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Why would you are want a "buyers broker"? Unless you are paying him directly they are still working for the seller. There are lots of forum threads on this. I think that in Florida a buyers broker gets a split of the commision (just like real estate). It gives you less room to haggle and they definitely won't be showing you any "private seller" boats, but if you buy one they still might want a split. Lots of "sharks" in S Florida. At least don't sign any agreements with a "buyers broker" If a broker in Florida sells you on another brokers boat, the first broker still gets his cut. Consider buying direct from an owner. They will tell you more about the boat and you will get a better deal!
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 10:41   #5

A selling broker shows and sells what he is listing.

A Buyer's Broker does your legwork for you. During the sale, the buyer's broker splits the commission with the selling broker. So, you're asking the buying broker to do much more work for half the commission.

If either broker isn't interested in splitting commission, then you're paying the selling broker commission in the purchase price and the buying broker on the side.

Plus, once you've contracted a buying broker, you introduce a new problem. Either you remove all the boats the buying broker has listed and is acting as the selling broker, or you've introduced a conflict of interest.

I don't honesly see a buyers broker travelling all over hells bells and back again on your behalf for 1.2 commissions. He's going fire up YAchtworld, and send you the results of his search. He might make a few phone calls.

I honestly don't see the benefit.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 11:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Though the OP was asking for buyer's broker referrals. this naturally morphed into whether one actually needs a buyer's broker. Here is another thread on that:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-146476.html

I admit I am still on the fence. As a first time buyer, I really would like someone helping with the process, but I also understand the conflict of interest when payment is dependent on the sale and the sale price.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 20:12   #7

Boat: Helia 44

I used Wiley Sharp last year.very happy with him. Definitely helped with all aspects including survey and after repairs. But definitely call a few and get to know them before you are ready so you can build up some trust and knowledge. Check out Nick o’kelly On YouTube “don’t be fooled! Costly first time buyer mistakes. Good luck
TraderRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 17:53   #8

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

I know you were asking for a broker in the FL area, but someone worth contacting to see if he could help would be Derek Escher Buyer’s Broker – Derek Escher. He is based in New England but works or worked with JustCatamarans in Fort Lauderdale. He's a catamaran sailor himself, ex-cruiser and ex-racer, so has a good broad perspective on catamarans and matching them to an individuals requirements. I met him in St George's harbour in Bermuda as a sailor before we engaged him to help us buy our first catamaran and he was a great help during what ended up being a long but successful buying process.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:46   #9

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran

We didn't use a broker when we bought our boat but, naturally, the seller did. The sellers broker was Cal Landau with the Catamaran Company and was/is a really nice guy. He is based in West Palm and I believe he also represents buyers. Give him a call and see how you feel about him.
aj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 13:53   #10

Gary Fretz is who I used. I found him to be amazing! Very knowledgeable, honest, and hard working. He found us our boat that was in the Caribbean and flew down for the survey and soay with the owner to negotiate (the sellers broker didn't even show up), took care of escrow (again the sellers agent wasn't around), and dealt with all the paperwork for me.

Additionally, he's keeping in touch to help with issues as I learn the boat.

His number is 954.609.6282
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 13:22   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

RONC185, I have used the same broker/friend to sell and buy boats for me for 40 years. I highly recommend Mark Lipkus of Wellfound Yachts. He has an office in Key Largo but, knows the market well, traveling up the east coast often. He knows catamarans, does deliveries, and is a wealth of knowledge on all aspects of boats with a great attitude. He is a great buyers broker that will go over the top to help find the right boat for you and get you the best price.
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:34   #12

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have chatted with several of the recommendations and I am sure I can work with one of them. For the ones that suggest I do not need a buyers broker. I agree for the most part, however the majority of my experience is with monos and I think I can learn a few things from a good buyers broker. Finding a GOOD one that is knowledgeable, patient, has a wealth of information/experience is important.
CapnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:45   #13

Boat: PDQ 36

I think you got some good recommendations for a broker. But I will just chime in that a good buyer's broker is worth their weight in gold. I had one when I bought my catamaran and she was wonderful. She (or people that she trusted) checked out boats for me all up and down the eastern seaboard. She was wonderful.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men