Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 09:35   #1

Buying advice and information

Dear sailors, I am looking around and informing myself as much as I can on what is the best catamaran fit for me: I intend on cruising with it for 3 months of the year, including making passages. I am a one man band although sometimes my wife or a couple of friends may join.

What would be your suggestions on what brand, model, size, reliability of cats you know, price/quality, for what money do you get a reliable cat etc.

Any info that you have is very appreciated. I used to be a sailing instructor, then life happened but will slow down too. If you have any suggestions on crewing, please let me know because it is part of my decision process.
ArtifexStonemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 13:27   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: Buying advice and information

Depends a bit on where you are sailing and the sort of conditions you expect to encounter, but you do mention passages. Oh yes....your budget is a factor as well. Lagoon 380 should do short crewed. Or a PDQ or Gemini if looking for something smaller and less costly.

Welcome to CF!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47   #3

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

I agree, if you're going to singlehand her then keep it smaller. It looks like our PDQ32 is sold, but we have crossed Lake Michigan (60-90 miles) with ease and comfort many times on her. Everything is led back to the cockpit; no need to leave it, even to adjust the self tacking jib cars which can be done by popping up out of the hatches in the dinette. I have taken her on a shorter trip to another port on my own and anchored out for the weekend. After some practice with crew you could work up to it.
I'm sure any boat could be rigged for singlehanding; all it takes is money
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:45   #4

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

There is a crewing forum here that seems fairly active. I would think you could find some couples with larger cats who would appreciate an experienced hand along, especially if you are willing to share costs.

Another factor to consider is your ability to handle the rigging. The smallest cruising cats are by necessity larger than the smaller cruising monohulls. Some people find the size and weight of the rigging to be uncomfortable to single-hand, though certainly possible.

My money would be on an older Lagoon (or FP or Leopard). The Gemini's and PDQ's don't offer the same level of comfort, though you might be able to get a newer model for the same money as an old lagoon, but I have never been to sea with any of them so take this as second-hand knowledge.

Mast heights are a consideration if you plan to sail the ICW in the U.S. The shorter mast is an option that some used cats will have.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36   #5

Great info all. Please keep it coming if you know more, have experienced something different/new/more

I appreciate all that you have taken out the time to respond.

Onno
Old 10-03-2013, 22:45   #6

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I just noticed that you plan to sail only three months a year. In that case, you should look at the Moorings guaranteed income program. You get up to 12 weeks of sailing a year on your own boat, or another boat in their fleet. They charter your boat to others the remainder of the year.

The "gotcha" is that at the end of 4 or 5 years,you must take delivery of your boat and continue to make the remaining payments on it (if you still owe money).

There are other charter programs, but few offer guaranteed income. Also, the Moorings has some US based options starting this year. I don't know all the details of that, but i know it is not year-round charter, and it is not guaranteed income. If you don't need the guaranteed income, there are many options.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:47   #7

Thank you. From reading a lot of info and constantly scowing available boats I get a little "iffy" about quality of the smallest lagoon member. PDQ has an excellent rep, but few available and the 44 which I love is way above my budget (unfortunatly).
Old 08-08-2013, 09:20   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

no need to worry about the smallest Lagoon, its a gem, great quality
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 23:00   #9

Thank you. What age does your Lagoon have?

Thanks

Martin
Old 11-08-2013, 06:28   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Yesterday I was reading a sailing blog from a family cruising Bahamas in their Prout. They look very happy with their choices.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying