Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2024, 13:35   #1
AST

Boat: Island Packet 29
Buying an older outremer

Greetings.
I m considering an older outremer (1995). I was wondering if I can get any advice on the following
1- Common issues with older outremer
2- What are they constructed from vs. new ones.
3- Any general advice on what to look for?
Thanks
AST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 01:20   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Buying an older outremer

1995 is relatively early in their commercial production. A few years ago we met a couple who had owned hull #1 O45 (1994). Their biggest problem was lack of water proofing in the seams joining cabin to deck - Outremers since 1998 have fibreglass cloth strip along those seams. Otherwise, as with any older fibreglass boat, look for panel integrity - no cracks or damages to solid hulls and no delaminating or soft spots in cored decks and cabins. Check for water damage and rot in the bottom of the main bulkhead - that was plywood and water collects down there after ingress from mast wiring or fittings. It’s an area we keep very close eyes on to maintain dry.

All Danson Outremers were built with solid fibreglass hulls, earlier ones and smaller models using polyester and later ones and larger models using vinylester resins. Above the hull/deck joint everything is cored with foam. Front beam and bridgedeck/cabin are not structural - they could be removed leaving just the hull and main and aft beams and the boat would retain its shape (front beam only supports the forestay - does not hold the bows).

What model?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 06:48   #3
AST

Boat: Island Packet 29

it is the 50 standard.
AST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 23:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post

All Danson Outremers were built with solid fibreglass hulls, earlier ones and smaller models using polyester and later ones and larger models using vinylester resins.
As far as I know, Outremer uses polyester resin on all models up to today.
JoFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 01:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFi View Post
As far as I know, Outremer uses polyester resin on all models up to today.
Not according to our 2003 55L owner’s manual. It says vinylester resin used for hulls and beams. During the Danson era the boats were built with care and for longevity. After the new Outremer ownership from 2007 I don’t know.
Old 08-06-2024, 16:36   #6

For a 50 foot boat, there is a serious lack of storage space. No lockers forward of the mast but for the chain locker. In addition refrigerator space is limited at best. Other than lockers under the settees in the cockpit there just isn’t much storage. Compared to a more modern design visibility out of the salon is limited as well. Lack of proper helm seats is an issue for me as well.
26N80W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 21:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26N80W View Post
For a 50 foot boat, there is a serious lack of storage space. No lockers forward of the mast but for the chain locker. In addition refrigerator space is limited at best. Other than lockers under the settees in the cockpit there just isn’t much storage. Compared to a more modern design visibility out of the salon is limited as well. Lack of proper helm seats is an issue for me as well.
It’s a 50 foot cat with the accommodation space of a 35 foot cat (same as our slightly longer 55 foot cat from the same design) that was designed for serious ocean sailing. The long hulls have plenty of storage space. Two x 110 litre fridge and freezer is not really limited is it? Like most cruisers we have a portable freezer in the cockpit. Yes, the salon doesn’t have vertical windows, but visibility is fine, and proper helm seat(s) can be retrofitted. This is a solid older design that can be bought for a fraction of the cost of new or near new modern design. If it suits the OP then all good.
Old 08-06-2024, 21:36   #8

Quote:
Not according to our 2003 55L owner’s manual. It says vinylester resin used for hulls and beams. During the Danson era the boats were built with care and for longevity. After the new Outremer ownership from 2007 I don’t know.
According to Outremer all hulls prior to 2000 were polyester resin only. Some had epoxy barrier coat applied at factory. Since 2000, all Danson-era hulls were vinylester resin.
Old 14-06-2024, 07:32   #9

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Whats the headroom in the 50 and 55 in salon and hulls? The 45 are made for dwarfts, with 192cm i hit my head constantly everywhere so noGo for me...one of the only things you cannot modify...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 09:42   #10

Boat: Outremer

Quote:
A few years ago we met a couple who had owned hull #1 O45 (1994).

First Outremer 45' Danson was launched in February 1999, and won the OSTAR race in June in class (called "Bagnoles de l'Orne", skipper Didier Levillain)
Shenan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, outremer