Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 07:37   #16

Boat: Cal-40
Re: BVI charter DON'T DO IT!

Ok, so you are thinking to go to the BVI to do a charter and you hear all kinds of horror stories. Please allow me to clear up a few things that might be helpful.
I’m a delivery skipper for a large international charter company and my job is to relocate sailing vessels through the Caribbean and eastern coast USA. Although I have French papers I’m a US citizen so a USA passport is what I clear in and out with. I have two vaccine shots.
When you arrive in the BVI and you are fully vaccinated you should have sent to their portal a photo of your vaccine papers and a Covid test not older then a few days. They accept the rapid test if your vaccinated. This holds true with the USVI. Never once did I have any issues as long as I submitted to the portal at least 24 hours before my arrival. Now I come by water and my port of entry is Road Town BVI. There on the waters edge is the customs/immigration building. They open at 08:30 until I believe 16:00 seven days per week. Yes, they are open on Sunday.
The very first thing you do when you step off your dingy (they have a place you can tie) is you show your vaccine papers and your negative Covid test. If your Covid test is more then I believe about 40 hours old the require you to take another rapid test right there on the spot. This will cost you 50.00 US dollars each person. You wait there for approx 15 min and they give you the results. After that you proceed into the building and clear yourself/crew if any and your vessel.
There shall be other fees for your entry like a cruise permit ect but none of this has anything to do with Covid. Now let’s just assume you choose NOT to use the BVI portal for clearance. This is an option and will not change your status only cause you about an extra 20 min of paperwork at customs.
Look people, I’m definitely not happy with all this Covid sh#t, I think I’ve had at least 45/50 Covid test. But remember there is no one your are going to talk to who is responsible for all this crap and we all just need to deal with it best we can. Be patient and respectful to your immigration officer, smile and don’t be in a rush and you will often be surprised and how they suddenly change towards you and things just seem to move smoothly. We are lucky, we still get to do sailing and for this I’m great full, I hope you are too. I’ll see you out here and if I can I’ll save you a good spot in the anchorage.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper65 View Post
Not sure why they don’t open things up to full vaccinated travelers.
Well, the answer to that is pretty easy. Every study that has been done has shown that fully vaccinated people can still be carriers, and can still infect other people. Getting vaccinated protects YOU, but it does NOT protect the people around you. So it makes perfect sense (at least, if you pay attention to the science) for countries to continue to require testing and masks, even for people who have been vaccinated.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:52   #18

Boat: Pearson 10M

I was in the BVI a few weeks ago. Yes the whole process is slightly annoying but really not that difficult, the exception being the test on the way out. The Process clearing in wasn't too difficult, get tested prior, upload your information to the portal that is available on the BVI tourism website. Travel talk also has a link directly to this portal. When I arrived via family from St Thomas, I got in line, took the rapid test, and was released from quarantine. The whole process maybe took 30 minutes, not super well organized but good enough. The problem is getting a test to return to the US. I got lucky when I cleared out as the test had to be administered within 48 hours of my departure and another boat I had become friendly with had a guy come in a boat to administer rapid tests. Expensive at $125 a person but I heard stories of people waiting for hours at the hospital to get a test so this was preferable. If you follow the rules to get in you will not be more than somewhat inconvenienced, however your return I suggest you arrange in advance and don't try to figure it out in the moment. You may inquire if a self-administered test which you might be able to purchase would be acceptable. This will be the biggest hurdle of the trip. Everything else in the BVI it was great, not so happy with the moorings but that's a different problem. Honestly, in today's reality I don't know where you're going that you're not going to have similar issues. Boo-hoo, more first world problems!
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:08   #19

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Well, the answer to that is pretty easy. Every study that has been done has shown that fully vaccinated people can still be carriers, and can still infect other people. Getting vaccinated protects YOU, but it does NOT protect the people around you. So it makes perfect sense (at least, if you pay attention to the science) for countries to continue to require testing and masks, even for people who have been vaccinated.
If this is the case, then why care if someone is vaccinated or not? It is solely for their protection and does not impact anyone else.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:51   #20

I was chartering in the BVIs for 10 days around Thanksgiving and then for 3 days in the USVIs, came back last week.
I feel this post misrepresents the situation and is unfair to the BVI government.

Yes, arranging for pre-departure covid testing while cruising the BVIs is a bit of a hassle, requires planning, and is a source of additional stress, but it is unavoidable these days and overall not such a big deal.

Pre-departure testing is not imposed by the BVI, it is imposed by the country you are going to. In our case, we were returning to the US via St. Thomas (ferry to St. Thomas). If we were returning via Portorico, the requirements would have been different.

For us, we initially were planning to get tested in Virgin Gorda (taxi to Spanish Town from Leverick Bay). The USVI website (which sends you to the CDC website) was saying testing within 72 hours from departure. When we called Virgin Gorda for the appointment, we were told that USVI had just changed to 48 hours from departure, despite what the USVI website was saying. We tried to call USVI to clarify what the actual requirement was, but nobody was answering because it was Black Friday.

We decided not to risk it and move the test to within 48 hours (actually, that was indeed the case, as people with 72 hours from departure tests were not getting the green QR code to enter St. Thomas).

Since the test would be one day later than planned, we ended up changing our plans and getting tested in Tortola (taxi from Trellis Bay). They were fairly efficient (results available within 12 hours from test), overall it took about 2 hours, taxis included. Getting appointments in Tortola required using their portal, not the most efficient portal, but workable.

Overall, there was quite a bit of confusing information which made the whole process quite stressful, but the cause was USVI and CDC, not BVI. At BVI, they pointed out that the USVI website may have been incorrect, which was helpful, they have no control on what USVI and CDC may say on their websites.

The real PITA portal was the USVI portal that you had to use to upload the test results to get the QR code to enter the USVI, which kept going down in the middle of the process (we had good internet while doing it, it was a portal issue).

The hassle of getting tested is not specific to the BVI, it is required by the US for all international travelers.

In general, BVIs are handling the pandemic better than USVIs. Masks everywhere indoor and inside vehicles, hand sanitizing and temperature check available everywhere indoor as you enter. Contrary to the OP, I think these measures are necessary, especially in islands like BVI, where they depend on tourism and have limited healthcare facilities, so they must adopt all possible precautions.

In the USVIs, masks are required indoor and in vehicles as well, but they are definitely less careful than in the BVIs.

I hope this clarifies. If you stay clear of the BVI because of the testing requirements, you would be making a mistake.

If you consider cruising in the BVI or anywhere else outside the US, you have to handle getting tested in order to be able to re-enter the US. Overall, BVIs are handling testing in a reasonably efficient manner, especially considering the fact that there are many islands. Yes, you need to plan your itinerary accordingly. Three test sites: Tortola, Virgin Gorda, and Jost Van Dyke, plus a few resorts arrange for on-site testing (but only for their guests, of course). Getting appointments is not that difficult, they are pretty relaxed on that (even the day before is fine); then you'll have to arrange a taxi to reach the testing facility (at Jost Van Dyke is within walking distance of the dinghy dock), but it is not that hard.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:55   #21

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP
Angry Re: BVI charter DON'T DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
I bit the bullet and just returned from a charter in the BVI. What a mistake. Lost significant sailing time to Covid regulations changing and no one really knowing what is going on. Had to have several covid tests at $140.00 dolars each for two people. Only a few places to get tested and appiontments are necessary. Had to use internet protals for everything, and the portals were crap and did not work (allow entries to be saved)leaving one with no options. Notify and officials and then be told there is no work around. Lots of stress. Then our Government change returning covid test from 72 hours to 24 hours with no notification. Try getting the suddenly changed test on a Sunday for a Monday flight. I decided to charter after I got the notice that the BVI DID NOT REQUIRE FILLING OUT THE PORTAL, Just show up with a Vaccination card and test within 5 days. BOTH NOT TRUE. Mask mandates inside any building or vehicle. A total CLUSTER. I will not return until theBVI gets their act together. Maybe never.
Sounds like the US right now
Old 09-12-2021, 13:03   #22

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
I've been traveling to the Virgin Islands since 1968, so I've experienced many, many different situations over the years. I truely love the Islands and the people. We flew into Tortola so that is a difference. No outgoing tests at the airport. The test reqirements for air travel are 24 hrs outbound , but 48hrs for ferry travel. MAKES NO SENSE. When we arrived in Tortola, we were denied entry because we did not complete the portal even though that need was supposedly removed for those Fully Vaxxed which we were. Questioned this and got different answeres from the personnel. Took hours to get through the mess. We were not the only ones to experience this. Other travelers did so too. Those with tests within 48 hrs were allowed to pass. Long and short is the rules changed almost daily and thus it's a crap shoot. Some get lucky, some don't. Talking with the locals, they are just as frustrated with the situation. As a side note, I have no problem wearing a mask when required, I was just stating facts for those who would like information. There is a real good reason that the AVI is booming while the BVi is suffering. BE FOREWARNED. We will not return until they get theire act together. Many other travelers we spoke to felt the same. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.
Yet, we've not had an International Pandemic that is virulent and spreads like wildfire, wearing a mask in such a small action that decreases viral spread.

Your most certainly not the problem here.
We can reserve that title for the naysayers and non contributors causing the spread.
And thus, the fallout that is happening.

If we all contribute, instead of complaining about inconvenience, we could make headway on controlling this outbreak.
Thanks for doing your part and letting others know what's currently happening.

Hang in there.
It will subside, eventually.
IMHO
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 13:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Right...
Such a lack of reality here in this trash.
How is NOT complying with a mask mandate, or other proven methods of helping to abating this pandemic helpful.

It's bass awkward, unless you've got some real info on how that works.
Maybe just more BS?
Not trying to be rude but, How's This gonna help anyone.
Come on Cappy.
Boatyarddog
Old 09-12-2021, 15:05   #24

Boat: Beneteau 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Such a lack of reality here in this trash.
How is NOT complying with a mask mandate, or other proven methods of helping to abating this pandemic helpful.

It's bass awkward, unless you've got some real info on how that works.
Maybe just more BS?
Not trying to be rude but, How's This gonna help anyone.
Come on Cappy.
Boatyarddog
Please do not feed the trolls. They do not mean well.
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 17:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Wednesday we will hit our 6th country since the beginning of October. If you do have a lot of flexibility, there are some great options without crowds.

If you don't have open ended travel plans where you can easily change, it's not the time to be traveling.
True wisdom here, pretty much gos with the sailing to foreign lands ideal.
And, just having fun and being safe, so EVERYONE ELSE can enjoy too.
Boatyarddog
Old 09-12-2021, 17:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
look guys , right now travelling remains a PITA. I just flew home from Greece , I had to present , EU COVID pass, an 48 hour antigen test pass(€10), a ticket, a passport to a very over worked girl, it added an hour to the check-in processes ( because there's always idiots who simply cant follow a process)

we just have to live with it
Yes, as well those that don't give a rodents butt to accommodate anyone else.
Boatyarddog
Old 10-12-2021, 07:40   #27

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Any updates on the BVIs? I was planning to go next month (January 2022).
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:56   #28

I came to the BVI a few days ago to buy a boat at the moorings. I did not have to do the portal thing.
I showed up with my vacc card, a negative covid test from the day before, my passport, and no clue what I was doing because the flight was booked the day before and I was just going off what I was told by the guy here at the base. Customs was really easy to deal with, I spent all of 10 mins getting checked in and a taxi to the moorings.

Since arriving, I've heard plenty of horror stories. Personally, I think it's mostly dependent on your attitude. Smile, be friendly, and realize that this isn't your country and these people are just doing their jobs.
Morndenkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 07:07   #29

We went last year before vaccines and had to quarantine 4 days; Covid results on the 5th day. No crowds at all. It was actually kind of depressing being the only boat in the harbors. Having said that, the protocols are way easier now. Do they make sense? No. Are they based on science? No. For example, we indeed had to wear a mask inside restaurants, then removed them to eat and drink for 2 hours. Does anyone really think wearing a mask for literally 2 minutes then eat and drink unmasked for 2 hours actually accomplishes any kind of safety? Of course not. Not to mention the unmasked waiter at Anegada leaning over us (and presumably breathing) for 2 hours. He told us he didn't need to get vaccinated. My point is if you just go with the flow, you can enjoy everything the BVIs offers. We are going again in Jan, and plan to take the Emed Binax now Covid test, to avoid the taxi ride to the hospital for testing. The really annoying thing to me, is the attitude of the Islanders who refuse to get vaccinated. But that is another story.....
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 07:13   #30

Boat: Voyage 480
Send a message via Skype™ to jerrypeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morndenkainen View Post
Since arriving, I've heard plenty of horror stories. Personally, I think it's mostly dependent on your attitude. Smile, be friendly, and realize that this isn't your country and these people are just doing their jobs.
I completely agree. I have been to the BVI three times in the last six months and going back next month. Each time the procedures were a little different. It's necessary to read the rules which are posted. Yes some bureaucracy but very manageable. Follow the rules, smile, enjoy.
jerrypeters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter