Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2021, 07:50   #31

Re: BVI charter DON'T DO IT!

Just got back from a charter in Belize. Super easy COVID policies, and they really had their act together. We made a reservation for our return COVID tests upon arrival - the nurse met us on the boat to administer the test to all on board and we had our results in 15 minutes - only had to leave the boat to pick him up at the dock
mikeygstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 08:18   #32

Boat: Ericson 35-2, 1980

The wife and I purchased a Lagoon 42 for charter out of Tortola. We wanted to be the first to use the boat so we flew into the USVI and then took the ferry over to Road Town at the end of April 2021. Stayed for two weeks. At that time there was a mandatory quarantine on your boat for 5 days even if you were vaccinated and all of us were. There were 18 different anchorages/moorings that we could stay at while being quarantined on the boat.

Overall we stayed for two weeks and had two groups of friends come join us. This meant the wife and I got to be quarantined twice (yay). All together I believe we took a total of 7 covid test both to get there and back (this was more than was actually needed because we had some issues on the US side). The portals were not necessarily user friendly and the quarantine procedures were a little inconsistent to say the least. Dealing with all of that was super stressful. My BVI portal approval came in about 30 minutes before the ferry departed. My wife had had hers for 24 hours at this point.

Fortunately for us, we had Avril at Navigare willing and able to help us through all of it. If we ever need to dispose of a body in the BVI, I'll be reaching out to Avril.

Here's the upside: Took both groups to the Baths and had absolutely no one else there. I mean no one. When we arrived at Anegada, there was one other boat on a mooring. We felt like we had Anegada to ourselves. The locals were super accommodating. The water was warm and the painkillers did exactly that.

Long and the short is that for us and our two crews, it was well worth the effort. Fortunately, I know that as we're vaccinated we won't be quarantined again.

We sold the Lagoon and our new Bali 4.8 should arrive at the end of December so we'll be heading out to the BVI again for a week in January and two weeks in May. And frankly, if the whole process is as bad as it was before, it'll still be well worth it.

There's some useful facebook groups for following what's going on currently. BVI Abroad. BVI Alive. St. Thomas Travel. Lot's of ridiculous questions and posts but there's some information worth wading through all the rest.
Spiny Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 08:44   #33

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper65 View Post
Thanks for feedback. Was going to charter in Feb, but will do something else. Not sure why they don’t open things up to full vaccinated travelers. BVI and elsewhere for that matter. There is going to be variants of Covid around for years to come. We’re all going to have to learn to live with it. Get vaccinated, get Covid, take your chances, whatever your choice is to “live with it”. Personally I’m fully vaccinated and boosted and don’t understand hesitancy people have, but to each his/her own. But the current policies are going to bankrupt charter and restaurant businesses down there if BVI govt doesn’t wise up.
The reason they don't open things up to fully vaccinated travellers is that the vaccination does not work! It does not stop COVID-19. But it does fill your body with serious poisons that result in all kinds of deleterious things: Just a few stories I have heard locally: full paralysis for one lady I knew for a day; a teenager who died in his sleep; my aesthetician who had serious vertigo after second vaccination. All of these things indicate the brain and nervous system are being compromised. It was never fully tested. If it worked, we would not be required to wear masks at all. Do you really want to subject yourself to that?
Lightwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 09:00   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwave99 View Post
The reason they don't open things up to fully vaccinated travellers is that the vaccination does not work! It does not stop COVID-19. But it does fill your body with serious poisons that result in all kinds of deleterious things: Just a few stories I have heard locally: full paralysis for one lady I knew for a day; a teenager who died in his sleep; my aesthetician who had serious vertigo after second vaccination. All of these things indicate the brain and nervous system are being compromised. It was never fully tested. If it worked, we would not be required to wear masks at all. Do you really want to subject yourself to that?

Stop spreading mis-information. Quote your reputable source. I am sure you would tell the world that the MMR and Polio Vaccines (which received much less testing and vetting) were detrimental as well.

No vaccine is 100% effective - but if everyone is vaccinated, it reduces the likelihood of transmission, and greatly reduces the symptoms if you do contract the virus.

Off my soap box now. Lets get back to Cruising.
mikeygstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 09:30   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Come to Florida.
Few, if any, mask restrictions here.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 09:35   #36

Update, I had to go to main immigration and customs today, not the little one by the ferry. The line was long, and slow. Definitely get there early if you have to go. Yes, there are mask rules and security there does enforce them.

I needed an extension on my stay permit / visa because the survey on my boat came back with a few issues that needed some time to fix. My experience wasn't bad, when it was my turn, I got grilled and didn't have my sales contract, just a letter from the moorings explaining the situation. They told me to have a seat, 15 mins later, I paid the extension fee and that was it. They DID call my broker to verify my story. So the fact that the line took some time became a lot more understandable when you factor in that they're actually doing their jobs and not just rubber stamping everything to collect fees as fast as they can. Something I wish the agents in the US would do...

Point is, another experience with customs here and nothing crazy or out of the ordinary. Just people actually doing their jobs.
Morndenkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 09:36   #37

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
If this is the case, then why care if someone is vaccinated or not? It is solely for their protection and does not impact anyone else.
This post was based on this one -
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Well, the answer to that is pretty easy. Every study that has been done has shown that fully vaccinated people can still be carriers, and can still infect other people. Getting vaccinated protects YOU, but it does NOT protect the people around you. So it makes perfect sense (at least, if you pay attention to the science) for countries to continue to require testing and masks, even for people who have been vaccinated.

ohdrinkboy is confused because Denver Don's post contains misinformation. While it is true that vaccinated people CAN get and transmit the disease, they are much, much less likely to do so than are vaccinated people. The good vaccines (Sinopharm excepted) have 70-90% efficacy in preventing even asymptomatic infection. People who are infected are the main source of spread. Vaccines reduce symptomatic disease, asymptomatic disease, and transmission. Any contrary assertion is misinformation.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 10:23   #38

Boat: 42' Steel schooner, 26' Gaff Ketch, 14' Catboat

I just returned from a great charter trip in the BVIs!
Yes, it is true that you have to be vaccinated to do things "simply", but you still need to get tested within 3 days of arriving or you will have to be tested when you arrive. When you arrive they will stop you and you have to show vaccination card, proof of recent testing and the approved travel document from their "portal". Checking everyone from the flight admittedly took a while as people were all moving with "island efficiency".
It is true that the United States changed their rules about coming back to the US, requiring a test within 24 hours, so, yes that was a hassle. But then again, we were not clueless and were staying abreast of what was going on while down there so were able to schedule our testing for the morning we were leaving. We didn't even need to do that too far in advance, just called them two days before to schedule.
Had to provide BVIs proof of my vaccination on their portal, but really no big deal. The surprise was needing to set up a portal account to come though the US controls on Puerto Rico, even though we were just passing through. Still, it worked okay.
Finally, yes, the islanders require you to masks anytime you are in a store or building, and have hand sanitizer and temperature testing stations at the entrances. Their place, their rules. Still, not a big deal and nobody required or wears masks at all the outdoor dining places.
So, was it a bit more hassle than previous trips before Covid? Yeah, but not that much if you do your research and know what to expect. https://www.bviaacloud.com/covid-19-...ated-traveller
I would go back next week if I could!
Paul_Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 10:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morndenkainen View Post
So the fact that the line took some time became a lot more understandable when you factor in that they're actually doing their jobs and not just rubber stamping everything to collect fees as fast as they can. Something I wish the agents in the US would do...
A fair statement in one sense, maybe not in another. I think that, for better and worse, ICE profiles people. My bet is that I breeze through US Customs and Immigration because I am 65 years old and don't have any other risk attributes, like traveling to countries that have major terrorism and drug smuggling issues. A 25 year old male from Columbia or Pakistan might have a very, very different experience and perspective.
Old 13-12-2021, 11:00   #40

Boat: Pearson 10M

Apologies if this is getting too narrow on the topic, but I have a charter booked for January and have been trying to do my research on the COVID requirements for entry/exit and want to spot-check my understanding.

Based on what I've read/what people note in this thread, this is what I've surmised - can anyone weigh in on the accuracy?

Background context: crew of 6 US Citizens, all fully vaccinated and boosted. Flying into STT, taking the ferry to Road Town and then the reverse to come home.

Arriving in the BVI via Ferry:
- Bring passport, vax card, proof of recent negative test (within 5 days to get on the ferry, within 48 hours to enter BVIs), travel insurance
- If you have all of the above you're good to go, if your test is less than 5 days but greater than 48 hours old, you'll need to take another test at customs to enter ($50) but if your test is within 48 hours, you do not need to retest
- Since vaccinated, we do not need to apply via the Gateway (https://bvigateway.bviaa.com/) but per this thread, it sounds like that is still a good idea to save time?

Source: https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols

Returning to USVI by Ferry:
- Need passport and negative test from within 24 hours
- must submit vaccine info via portal: https://www.usvitravelportal.com/
- scheduling the test within 24 hours seems to be the tricky part?

Source: https://www.usvitravelportal.com/, https://www.moorings.com/covid19/tra...virgin-islands

I realize all this may change in the next month, but based on the latest people have heard, read, encountered, am I missing anything?
RaggamuffinBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 11:46   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggamuffinBK View Post
Apologies if this is getting too narrow on the topic, but I have a charter booked for January and have been trying to do my research on the COVID requirements for entry/exit and want to spot-check my understanding.

Based on what I've read/what people note in this thread, this is what I've surmised - can anyone weigh in on the accuracy?

Background context: crew of 6 US Citizens, all fully vaccinated and boosted. Flying into STT, taking the ferry to Road Town and then the reverse to come home.

Arriving in the BVI via Ferry:
- Bring passport, vax card, proof of recent negative test (within 5 days to get on the ferry, within 48 hours to enter BVIs), travel insurance
- If you have all of the above you're good to go, if your test is less than 5 days but greater than 48 hours old, you'll need to take another test at customs to enter ($50) but if your test is within 48 hours, you do not need to retest
- Since vaccinated, we do not need to apply via the Gateway (https://bvigateway.bviaa.com/) but per this thread, it sounds like that is still a good idea to save time?

Source: https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols

Returning to USVI by Ferry:
- Need passport and negative test from within 24 hours
- must submit vaccine info via portal: https://www.usvitravelportal.com/
- scheduling the test within 24 hours seems to be the tricky part?

Source: https://www.usvitravelportal.com/, https://www.moorings.com/covid19/tra...virgin-islands

I realize all this may change in the next month, but based on the latest people have heard, read, encountered, am I missing anything?
I am headed down January 20 - so I am likewise interested! I have my test for southbound travel scheduled at the Dulles Airport service the day of departure (paying the surcharge for the rapid reporting). Given some of the stories about the ferry shenanigans*, I opted to take the Cape Air puddle jumper from STT to EIS, so we will be coming in to the airport, rather than the ferry terminal. Big question for me is the incoming Gateway question - we are all vaccinated (and boosted) - but should we do it anyway?
Am also eager to know options for getting the exit COVID test in the BVI. We will be chartering out of Scrub Island. I was assuming we would query charter staff when we arrive regarding our options for departure testing and make arrangements then. But I like to plan ahead, so any info would be welcome.

*And in my experience, the ferry service and Customs and Immigration in pre-COVID times were not stellar in the BVI. I can only assume it will be a bit less stellar now.
Old 13-12-2021, 12:06   #42

Boat: 42' Steel schooner, 26' Gaff Ketch, 14' Catboat

Again, YMMV, but they never actually looked at my document from their portal site. They were only interested in my vaccination card and an official result document from my Covid test. Since my Covid test was less than two days old, they did not require any sort of re-test
Paul_Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 13:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
I bit the bullet and just returned from a charter in the BVI. What a mistake. Lost significant sailing time to Covid regulations changing and no one really knowing what is going on. Had to have several covid tests at $140.00 dolars each for two people. Only a few places to get tested and appiontments are necessary. Had to use internet protals for everything, and the portals were crap and did not work (allow entries to be saved)leaving one with no options. Notify and officials and then be told there is no work around. Lots of stress. Then our Government change returning covid test from 72 hours to 24 hours with no notification. Try getting the suddenly changed test on a Sunday for a Monday flight. I decided to charter after I got the notice that the BVI DID NOT REQUIRE FILLING OUT THE PORTAL, Just show up with a Vaccination card and test within 5 days. BOTH NOT TRUE. Mask mandates inside any building or vehicle. A total CLUSTER. I will not return until theBVI gets their act together. Maybe never.
Really sorry you had such a rough time. I spent a lot of time chartering and cruising in the BVI prior to Irma, Maria and now Covid, and it was fantastic. I can't think of anywhere to go cruising/chartering right now that isn't subject to sudden changes in rules, regulations, and sudden travel restrictions, because, well, because Covid rapidly changes the situation that countries have to deal with. Two cases of the super-infectious and partially vaccine-resistant Omicron variant were detected in the UK on November 27. By December 13th it was responsible for 44% of new cases in London - and it's spreading like wildfire all over the world. If you expect beautiful Cruising/chartering locations to somehow be immune to changes in Covid protocols, some extreme, you might be better advised to stay at home for the time being.
Cruthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 13:59   #44

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
I understand the frustration with the testing, and the difficulty in scheduling appointments. It sounds like the BVI government is screwing up. But you lost me when you complained about being required to wear a mask inside buildings. Is that really such a big deal?
Yes....but the Taiwanese are generally much more considerate of their fellow humans that Americans generally are.

In TW its been standard to wear a mask on the MRT etc for years when you have a cold or similar.

We'll be back as soon as the 21 day quarantine is over, I'm craving some spicy beef noodle, and gaoliang sausage
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 14:02   #45

Yeah, Vaccines don't protect - they poison people, just like reefing lines poison people and Sea Anchors cause cancer and drogues change your genetic makeup. Did you go to school in the USA? If so, you HAD to have been vaccinated against the childhood diseases that kill, well, that kill children. But you're still alive, so maybe the vaccines worked?
Cruthin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter