Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2021, 03:59   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: BVI charter DON'T DO IT!

We long ago crossed BVI off our list and that was before COVID afforded them the opportunity to become wicked profiteers.

Nice chartering opportunities in Antigua.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 04:24   #62

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
I am headed down January 20 - so I am likewise interested! I have my test for southbound travel scheduled at the Dulles Airport service the day of departure (paying the surcharge for the rapid reporting). Given some of the stories about the ferry shenanigans*, I opted to take the Cape Air puddle jumper from STT to EIS, so we will be coming in to the airport, rather than the ferry terminal. Big question for me is the incoming Gateway question - we are all vaccinated (and boosted) - but should we do it anyway?

Am also eager to know options for getting the exit COVID test in the BVI. We will be chartering out of Scrub Island. I was assuming we would query charter staff when we arrive regarding our options for departure testing and make arrangements then. But I like to plan ahead, so any info would be welcome.

*And in my experience, the ferry service and Customs and Immigration in pre-COVID times were not stellar in the BVI. I can only assume it will be a bit less stellar now.

As for exit tests, buy emed.com before you leave on your trip. Take the test on your boat before going to the airport. Done in 15 minutes. Easy.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 08:59   #63

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboatuser View Post
True.

Ironically, the November UK official data shows the "vaccinated" people of most age groups are now twice as likely to get covid compared to non-vaccinated.
Please stop with your lying and trolling.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 09:07   #64

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
As for exit tests, buy emed.com before you leave on your trip. Take the test on your boat before going to the airport. Done in 15 minutes. Easy.
Question, the emid tests. In what manner do you get the results? I was in the BVI a month ago, the person who administered the test sent me an email with the results that I loaded into the USVI portal. Does emed provide a similar service?
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 09:36   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Question, the emid tests. In what manner do you get the results? I was in the BVI a month ago, the person who administered the test sent me an email with the results that I loaded into the USVI portal. Does emed provide a similar service?

Yes. It is a “proctored” test administered during a video chat. After the test you are emailed a pdf with your test result which you can use for reentry into the US or other countries that accept antigen tests for entry (Bahamas if vaccinated). You also get a QR code pass as well. We have used them multiple times and works well. $150 for 6 tests, not restricted a single person.

Allen
Old 14-12-2021, 10:16   #66

Quote:
Yes. It is a “proctored” test administered during a video chat. After the test you are emailed a pdf with your test result which you can use for reentry into the US or other countries that accept antigen tests for entry (Bahamas if vaccinated). You also get a QR code pass as well. We have used them multiple times and works well. $150 for 6 tests, not restricted a single person.

Allen
Thanks Allen! That could be just the ticket for us. We are a crew of 5, so that would be very reasonable.

Did some snooping via web cams. While this is very unscientific, I see this afternoon in the USVI the following numbers of boats:
Honeymoon Beach 6
Cinnamon Bay 8
Maho bay 15
Trunk bay 3

In the BVI I see
Cooper Island 9
Cane Garden Bay 12
White Bay 10
BEYC 10

No idea what the usual numbers are this week, but I would guess this is a bit of a slow week. But it looks like there are decent numbers of folks cruising in both the USVI and the BVI.
Old 14-12-2021, 11:25   #67

Quote:

Allen
Thank you! That is news I can use.
Old 14-12-2021, 11:47   #68

Well, duh. There is a global pandemic if you hadn't heard. Lol. Not a good time to be traveling. This is on you.
Mondonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 12:11   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondonico View Post
Well, duh. There is a global pandemic if you hadn't heard. Lol. Not a good time to be traveling. This is on you.
More than a bit unclear who this is directed towards.
Old 14-12-2021, 12:36   #70

This is a good CF thread! It started with a biased, cranky, negative posting, but then (ignoring the trolls) it has evolved into a nice thread with some really helpful information on getting in and out of the BVI.
Appreciate the positive posts!
Old 14-12-2021, 13:48   #71

Quote:
This is a good CF thread! It started with a biased, cranky, negative posting, but then (ignoring the trolls) it has evolved into a nice thread with some really helpful information on getting in and out of the BVI.
Appreciate the positive posts!
Negative? I'll give you negative! I went to the wonky dog on Anegada and they completely overcooked my lobster. They are stain on the reputation of the BVI. Foxy's was fun however.
Old 16-12-2021, 07:49   #72

This should be confirmed before you act upon it, but one of my crew mates was successful in contacting customs and immigration earlier this week (Dec 14) in the USVI and they told her that they are no longer accepting the emed.com Binax test.
Old 16-12-2021, 07:59   #73

Quote:
This should be confirmed before you act upon it, but one of my crew mates was successful in contacting customs and immigration earlier this week (Dec 14) in the USVI and they told her that they are no longer accepting the emed.com Binax test.

Getting a prior confirmation is a great idea. The original question was about air travel back to the US and the emed test is approved for that.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

It also is allowed for travel into the Bahamas if you are fully vaccinated. Other places, you should confirm in advanced but be sure to specify it is a supervised test. Just a Binax test will not be accepted anywhere.
Old 16-12-2021, 10:39   #74

Boat: Morgan 382

We attempted the EMED tests. The issue is that a very good internet connection is required as it uses streaming video. That is hard to find in the bVI, especially if you are on a boat. So the idea that one can just get those kits and do your own testing from your boat at your leisure purely false. A good idea, but it just isn't feasable and possibly not acceptable depending upon the person you are presenting it to. You will get different answers from just about everyone you talk to.
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 12:47   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
We attempted the EMED tests. The issue is that a very good internet connection is required as it uses streaming video. That is hard to find in the bVI, especially if you are on a boat. So the idea that one can just get those kits and do your own testing from your boat at your leisure purely false. A good idea, but it just isn't feasable and possibly not acceptable depending upon the person you are presenting it to. You will get different answers from just about everyone you talk to.

Yes it does take a good cell connection which depends on which carrier you use. We have not had trouble getting video capable reception in the Virgins or the Bahamas (or most of the Caribbean for that matter), but your mileage may vary.

Tags
BVI, charter