Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2021, 13:07   #76

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport
Re: BVI charter DON'T DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
Getting a prior confirmation is a great idea. The original question was about air travel back to the US and the emed test is approved for that.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Thanks again, Allen. Kinda bizarre that it would good for air travel into US but not for ferry travel into St John or St Thomas.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 16:03   #77

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Read the local news especially the coments.

https://bvinews.com/jtf-ensuring-boaters-complying-with-customs-immigration-laws/

www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/zero-tolerance-for-charter-boats-yachts-found-breaking-vi-laws-hm-customs
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 16:27   #78

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
We attempted the EMED tests. The issue is that a very good internet connection is required as it uses streaming video. That is hard to find in the bVI, especially if you are on a boat. So the idea that one can just get those kits and do your own testing from your boat at your leisure purely false.

Errr, except that's exactly what I just did. I sailed Maryland to BVI in early November. Took a test at a CVS before leaving, and the BVI administered a test on arrival (cost me $50). The BVI check-in took about 90 min including the COVID test. Spent the next 30 days enjoying the BVI. When it was time to leave, I did a proctored self-test for COVID on my boat and used that to enter the USVI. Very easy. I had cellular signal good enough for the proctored test in most BVI harbors, and there were also multiple opportunities to use free wifi from restaurants like Saba Rock. Maybe not all cell carriers are as good in the BVI (I use Google Fi), but with the many wifi hot spots available it isn't a big deal to find one. I'm here in the USVI for another month or so and then will move south. I imagine many more COVID tests are in my future, it's just part of traveling now. Oh yeah, once in the USVI I walked to a clinic and got a free booster shot. Now triple-vaxxed!
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 17:39   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post

Oof, that second one was not good to read. We are booked for a bareboat cruise Jan 22. I am thinking I won't share that with my crew mates, but I'd better be prepared for a boarding. Hard to know what to make of it. As in so many situations, there are some real jerks in law enforcement and a few of them can generate a lot of ill will. There are also some real jerks cruising - people whose first world privilege and self-righteousness can really anger local law enforcement. There is no way to understand from those posts how often this is happening nor is it possible to know if the responsibility for ill behavior lies with the gendarmes or the boaters.
The only time I have been boarded was sailing in the San Juan Islands by US CBP. We have never in the past been boarded in the BVI or USVI. In our San Juans experience, they were dead serious, with hands resting on their holstered arms. Snooped around, checked the docs, counted extinguishers and PFDs, and were then on their way. We treated them with the utmost respect and deference. Every response to their queries ended with a "Sir" or "Ma'am". We really didn't mind it very much, feeling that they have good reason to keep an eye on the boats to watch for stuff coming down through Canada and probably in from the Pacific.
I have also read a number of whiny complaints about BVI customs over the years on CF. I have never found any reason to complain. In every experience they were reasonable and professional. They insisted that every form was filled out correctly and yeah, it seemed a little silly to have to go back and forth between immigration and customs and the cashier. But, whatever. Again, my approach is to treat them with the highest level of respect, dress appropriately, apologize if I goof on a form, address them as Sir, Ma'am, or Officer, never complain about the process or fees, and they have always treated me well.
We shall see!
Old 16-12-2021, 17:41   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
Errr, except that's exactly what I just did. I sailed Maryland to BVI in early November. ... The BVI check-in took about 90 min including the COVID test. Spent the next 30 days enjoying the BVI
How many times were you boarded?
Old 16-12-2021, 18:29   #81

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Errr, except that's exactly what I just did. I sailed Maryland to BVI in early November. Took a test at a CVS before leaving, and the BVI administered a test on arrival (cost me $50). The BVI check-in took about 90 min including the COVID test. Spent the next 30 days enjoying the BVI. When it was time to leave, I did a proctored self-test for COVID on my boat and used that to enter the USVI. Very easy. I had cellular signal good enough for the proctored test in most BVI harbors, and there were also multiple opportunities to use free wifi from restaurants like Saba Rock. Maybe not all cell carriers are as good in the BVI (I use Google Fi), but with the many wifi hot spots available it isn't a big deal to find one. I'm here in the USVI for another month or so and then will move south. I imagine many more COVID tests are in my future, it's just part of traveling now. Oh yeah, once in the USVI I walked to a clinic and got a free booster shot. Now triple-vaxxed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
How many times were you boarded?
Boarded zero times. I don't understand, why ask that?

EDIT: Ok, just read the above linked article about the BVI "cracking down on ???". I have to say I have no idea what that's about. Of course I followed local laws, and I saw no unusual enforcement activities. It sounds to me like they are trying to put to fear of God into any boat captain that might try to sneak in and not follow the COVID testing procedures, customs, immigration, port fees, etc. Really, that article is so badly written it's hard to tell what it's about. I thought the English could write English, but it seems not.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 06:51   #82

Quote:
Boarded zero times. I don't understand, why ask that?

EDIT: Ok, just read the above linked article about the BVI "cracking down on ???". I have to say I have no idea what that's about. Of course I followed local laws, and I saw no unusual enforcement activities. It sounds to me like they are trying to put to fear of God into any boat captain that might try to sneak in and not follow the COVID testing procedures, customs, immigration, port fees, etc. Really, that article is so badly written it's hard to tell what it's about. I thought the English could write English, but it seems not.
Hi JT
Exactly - as a person who has spent a lot of time in BVI waters (I think you said a month) I thought you would be a good reality check to that article that was posted. It is really hard to contextualize what is under some of those media items, and even harder to contextualize comments to them. From some of the ranting comments to that BVI news piece, I was left with the impression that BVI customs/immigration is roaring around and boarding one boat after another. Or, it could just be that there were a very few such boardings and the comments section is greatly exaggerated by rants, cranks, and trolls. Not entirely unlike the title and the OP of this thread.
If you spent 30 days there and were not boarded once, I am wondering how much of a problem this could actually be. I harbor lingering suspicions that there are a small number of people who have been flouting BVI customs and immigration over the years and they are hopping mad that anyone would dare to suggest that this was no longer acceptable. I have zero sympathy for them.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:09   #83

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
This post was based on this one -

Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

Well, the answer to that is pretty easy. Every study that has been done has shown that fully vaccinated people can still be carriers, and can still infect other people. Getting vaccinated protects YOU, but it does NOT protect the people around you. So it makes perfect sense (at least, if you pay attention to the science) for countries to continue to require testing and masks, even for people who have been vaccinated.

ohdrinkboy is confused because Denver Don's post contains misinformation. While it is true that vaccinated people CAN get and transmit the disease, they are much, much less likely to do so than are vaccinated people. The good vaccines (Sinopharm excepted) have 70-90% efficacy in preventing even asymptomatic infection. People who are infected are the main source of spread. Vaccines reduce symptomatic disease, asymptomatic disease, and transmission. Any contrary assertion is misinformation.

I agree, and for those that missed it, the many not surviving the vaccines, can only pass it to the undertaker. Which will help create a vacancy for new employment.!
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:30   #84

Posted some of this in the other BVI thread - so skip it if you are following that one.
Just got back to USVI from a 9 day BVI cruise. COVID really wasn't much of a problem for us. First, we are fully vaccinated and boosted (you would have to be a looney to travel without vaccination).
Flying US to USVI necessitated use of the USVI portal
https://www.usvitravelportal.com
Works quite well - you have to enter a bunch of info, answer questions, and upload vaccination card and a test result less than 72 hours old. You get an orange QR code by email within <5 mins, and then a green on in 15-20 mins, necessary to board the flight to USVI. Upon arrival in St. Thomas, there were some very polite National Guard troops sitting at desks where they scan your QR code, and then off you go.
We had separate (not connecting) tickets on Cape Air from STT to EIS. Missed that flight due to our United flight being late. Got a cab driver to hustle us down to the Charlotte Amalie ferry terminal where they were very nice and held the ferry for us a couple of minutes (Smith Ferry - very nice, new ferry).
To get into BVI we needed
1. proof of vaccination
2. negative COVID test <48 hours old (note difference here with US requirements)
3. proof of travel insurance
4. passport
They had a lady at the ferry terminal acting as a kind of concierge to efficiently direct us to the proper person to get each of these things addressed (and, I suppose, to deal with unvaccinated people and those needing a COVID test there, which of course, we did not experience). I have to tell you - to me it seemed more efficient than my memory of pre-COVID BVI customs and immigration, which was, shall we say, quite casual and indifferent). We were through the whole thing in <30 mins. Then, off to our taxi.

To exit the BVI to go to St. John, we had a nice man from EMEL medical meet us at our boat at the marina at the end of the charter. He was there within 5 mins of us docking. Test administered at the cockpit table of our boat. Results emailed to us and received within 20-30 mins. Re-did the USVI portal process.
We then took a crazy-expensive private water taxi from Scrub Is to St John (because the BVI>St. John ferry is not operating). Most would either just go to EIS for their flight or to Road Town by taxi for the ferry.

Important to note that ferry service is limited, so make a reservation.

Worth noting that in the BVI, people were more cautious about COVID than is our experience in the US. Masking was consistent just about everywhere indoors. At the larger shops we provisioned at, there was a security guard at the door with an infrared temp scanner who checks you for fever, reminds you of the mask requirement, and tells you to hand sanitize. Also worth noting that the vaccination rate in the BVI amongst the citizenry is low - much worse than the US.
https://covid19.who.int/region/amro/country/vg
You should assume that every local that you interact with is unvaccinated.

Overall, from entry to exit, the whole process was very smooth. I thought every BVI official and provider we interacted with courteous, helpful, and efficient. They gave us the very strong impression that they wanted us to be there and were doing what they could to facilitate that. So, my experience leads me to conclude that the OP is blowing some smoke. If you are vaccinated, do your due diligence with the USVI and BVI sites and instructions, this is all very doable. There is no arguing that there is risk - if you do get sick in the BVI, I expect it would be a real mess for you. But since when did we cruise because it was risk-free?
Old 15-02-2022, 19:10   #85

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)

I'm heading there this weekend (Feb 19, 2022), and hoping it is not so bad for the covid stuff. As far as I understand it if you have negative test 48hrs or less old on arrival you don't need to test when you get there. Then you just need a test when you depart (which can be simple antigen test). So I don't see what the big deal is. We still mostly mask indoors here in CT so used to that although hoping by now maybe things are starting to relax. Plus hoping to spend most time outdoors !!!

Looking for good ideas of where to go to. Chartering a sailing catamaran. Starting on Scrub Island.
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 22:17   #86

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Well, I'll chime in. We recently got back from 5 weeks in French Polynesia, including a 2 week charter (with Tahiti Yacht Charters - kudos to them for an EXCELLENT experience - the the CF that Dream was 2 years ago). It was really very easy, both in and out. Walgreens for a test here in the US before we left, and a test at the airport hours before our flight back to the US.

Also note in FP, you leave LAX at 11:45 at night, and step on to your charter boat the next morning. Leave FP at midnight, arrive home (San Antonio) by noon the next day. Just go.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 05:11   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg222 View Post
I'm heading there this weekend (Feb 19, 2022), and hoping it is not so bad for the covid stuff. As far as I understand it if you have negative test 48hrs or less old on arrival you don't need to test when you get there. Then you just need a test when you depart (which can be simple antigen test). So I don't see what the big deal is. We still mostly mask indoors here in CT so used to that although hoping by now maybe things are starting to relax. Plus hoping to spend most time outdoors !!!

Looking for good ideas of where to go to. Chartering a sailing catamaran. Starting on Scrub Island.
Hi Paul -
Yes. My post #84 has the answers to both your questions and more. Be sure to book your BVI departure test BEFORE you set sail. Info in my post and the Dream office at scrub has info as well.
Note that the 48 hour limit for BVI entry holds even if you have a travel glitch and are delayed - it was not easy for us to get our US departure COVID test done before leaving AND having a result in hand AND having it be <48 hours old upon arrival at the Road Town Customs and Immigration. That's why we went with the testing clinic at Dulles Airport - paper result in hand <30 mins after testing, two hours before departure.
We were just there - Dream at Scrub Island. Give my best to Carlton at Dream - he is really good to work with. Enjoy your cruise!
Old 16-02-2022, 06:03   #88

Boat: Shannon 43

I say wait it out. Don't get tested. It sounds like a conspiracy theory but, statistics are starting to show both the tests and the jab are BAD for you. It is better to get what's going around and take vitamins. Natural immunity from God is better than counterfeit immunity from Moderna.
stagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:07   #89
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger View Post
I say wait it out. Don't get tested. It sounds like a conspiracy theory but, statistics are starting to show both the tests and the jab are BAD for you. It is better to get what's going around and take vitamins. Natural immunity from God is better than counterfeit immunity from Moderna.

Believe in science or the invisible man in the sky……..your choice of course
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:13   #90

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)

Quote:
Hi Paul -
Yes. My post #84 has the answers to both your questions and more. Be sure to book your BVI departure test BEFORE you set sail. Info in my post and the Dream office at scrub has info as well.
Note that the 48 hour limit for BVI entry holds even if you have a travel glitch and are delayed - it was not easy for us to get our US departure COVID test done before leaving AND having a result in hand AND having it be <48 hours old upon arrival at the Road Town Customs and Immigration. That's why we went with the testing clinic at Dulles Airport - paper result in hand <30 mins after testing, two hours before departure.
We were just there - Dream at Scrub Island. Give my best to Carlton at Dream - he is really good to work with. Enjoy your cruise!
Sounds good, thanks. If you have any ideas for itinerary let me know. We will be there for 7 days on sailing catamaran.
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter