Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 07:33   #91

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport
Re: BVI charter DON'T DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg222 View Post
Sounds good, thanks. If you have any ideas for itinerary let me know. We will be there for 7 days on sailing catamaran.
We did
Night 1 Bitter End
Night 2 Deep Bay*
Night 3 Little Yost Van Dyke**
Night 4 The Bight at Norman
Night 5 Great Harbor Peter Is
Night 6 Manchioneel Cooper Is***

*Deep Bay is now in the Cruising Guide and not (to my knowledge) a prohibited anchorage by Dream. The pass between Virgin Gorda and Saba Rock requires some care. I had checked in with a person at BEYC for local knowledge and he confirmed that the depth of the channel is a minimum of 8 feet and that the markers are correctly placed. Deep Bay is very nice. The restaurant at the Oil Nut Bay Marina was closed when we were there, but the coffee shop (and real estate office!) were open. Maybe the restaurant could also be open now?
**Do not miss Foxy's Taboo. We had the best dinner of a 2+ week BVI/USVI (sea/land) trip there. The waiter was just lovely and that chef is awesome. Order the Eggplant Cheesecake appetizer. Yes, it sounds weird, but I assure you it is not - it is one of the best things I have eaten in the past year!
***We used BoatyBall to snag a ball reservation at exactly 7 am that morning so that we could sail (honestly, mostly motor, since is nearly completely into the wind) from Peter to the Baths, goof around there for a spell, and then have a ball we could count on late in the afternoon. Manchioneel can fill up because it is a nice spot for Friday evenings both for the restaurant (reservations essential), Rum Bar, and because it is a short jump back to the marina to turn the boat in on time.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:10   #92

Boat: Shannon 43

There is science from the peer-reviewed papers written by reliable individuals in the field. And then there is the "science" as reported by mainstream media, which is garbage. Live the life of a Sovereign or live the life of a sheep. The choice is yours.
stagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:16   #93

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger View Post
I say wait it out. Don't get tested. It sounds like a conspiracy theory but, statistics are starting to show both the tests and the jab are BAD for you. It is better to get what's going around and take vitamins. Natural immunity from God is better than counterfeit immunity from Moderna.
BS and misinformation has been heard here so many times with this topic.

It's really wrong of you to misinform people about the effectiveness of the vaxx it's well tested and "science" as you mention it is not Media Hyperbole.

You are trolling us.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:19   #94

Quote:
There is science from the peer-reviewed papers written by reliable individuals in the field. And then there is the "science" as reported by mainstream media, which is garbage. Live the life of a Sovereign or live the life of a sheep. The choice is yours.
Trolling if I've ever heard it.
Do not comment on this BS.
It's a lie!!!
We all just had a big thread about this.
This fellow 2 posts in, is already starting it.
Boatyarddog
Old 17-02-2022, 08:23   #95

Not trolling. Do the research for yourself. Or dont.
Old 17-02-2022, 08:27   #96

Quote:
Not trolling. Do the research for yourself. Or dont.
Ok we won't do it.
Get a clue, we already know what your gonna say.
Have a nice life.
Boatyarddog
Old 17-02-2022, 08:42   #97

Boat: Leopard 42

Quote:
I'm heading there this weekend (Feb 19, 2022), and hoping it is not so bad for the covid stuff. As far as I understand it if you have negative test 48hrs or less old on arrival you don't need to test when you get there. Then you just need a test when you depart (which can be simple antigen test). So I don't see what the big deal is. We still mostly mask indoors here in CT so used to that although hoping by now maybe things are starting to relax. Plus hoping to spend most time outdoors !!!

Looking for good ideas of where to go to. Chartering a sailing catamaran. Starting on Scrub Island.
You are right- It's not a big deal! Just returned from 2 weeks there. Get a covid test before you leave. They don't care at all what type and only look at the date administered. If you are delayed and flying in, you can still get a test at the airport. Have travel insurance, which they never looked at. Get tested 24 hours prior to return to US. We used EMed proctored self test. Easy..Enjoy!

But for all the nay sayers on this post............yes, its horrible.....please stay home!
mountaindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:52   #98

Stagger - Please give the COVID a rest and tell us a little about your cruising experience and interests. It looks really bad if you just parachute in with that stuff in your first three posts. It is not clear to any of us that you have any interest in cruising, that you own a boat, that you want to learn about boating or cruising from any of the innumerable people on this Forum who know so much about cruising, boat maintenance & repair, cruising grounds, COLREGS, MARPOL, etc.
Old 17-02-2022, 09:03   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Stagger - Please give the COVID a rest and tell us a little about your cruising experience and interests. It looks really bad if you just parachute in with that stuff in your first three posts. It is not clear to any of us that you have any interest in cruising, that you own a boat, that you want to learn about boating or cruising from any of the innumerable people on this Forum who know so much about cruising, boat maintenance & repair, cruising grounds, COLREGS, MARPOL, etc.
Thank you, it's an obvious point!
What's YOUR thing, dude!
(Stagger)
No location, 3 posts, spouts imperial knowledge on Covid, provides no citations, just " look it up yourself". Has no boat mentioned?

Really? As if we hadnt a clue!

Or, seen this again and again.
Sorry, this BS gets my sails in a bunch.
Just going to let intelligent people talk!
That would be best.
Boatyarddog
Old 17-02-2022, 09:12   #100

actually, I wasn't pushing anything I mentioned to wait that's all, and I said that statistics are showing a bit different than popularly understood. Then I got jumped on. I will drop it because you are right this forum is for cruising. I just started cruising florida coast. My wife can't cruise much anymore so I'm typically single-handed. I sail a Shannon 43. God Bless.
Old 17-02-2022, 09:32   #101

Quote:
I just started cruising florida coast. My wife can't cruise much anymore so I'm typically single-handed. I sail a Shannon 43. God Bless.
Nice boat - I am envious! I have never been on that boat, but I would guess that is a lot to single hand - but not a discussion line for this thread.
Look forward to you engaging in Cruising discussions!
Old 17-02-2022, 09:33   #102

Quote:
Maybe fill in your bio a bit.
No hard feelings but 2 yrs, with the pandemic, it's getting better, thanks to those protecting themselves and others.
Let's not F it up, now.
Your post relates your stance.
Obviously.
Thanks!
Boatyarddog
Old 17-02-2022, 09:54   #103

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
I'm heading there this weekend (Feb 19, 2022), and hoping it is not so bad for the covid stuff. As far as I understand it if you have negative test 48hrs or less old on arrival you don't need to test when you get there. Then you just need a test when you depart (which can be simple antigen test). So I don't see what the big deal is. We still mostly mask indoors here in CT so used to that although hoping by now maybe things are starting to relax. Plus hoping to spend most time outdoors !!!

Looking for good ideas of where to go to. Chartering a sailing catamaran. Starting on Scrub Island.
I recently returned from chartering in BVI and you've got it right. Testing must be done but it's not difficult. I didn't think to bring a self test with me for the way back home so had to pay $135 for a test by a Dr (supposedly) that the Moorings has on site. If I had it to do over, I'd just take a self test with me and use that to fulfill the requirement.

On the issue of the required travel insurance, the only one I had to show that to was to the lady at the ferry check in counter from St Thomas to Roadtown. Nobody else asked about it. But if you're flying into Beef Island, that might be different.

As for where to go, you can't really miss and there's lots of info about the BVI's online and in cruising guides. There will probably be a cruising guide on the boat. You can't come close to seeing it all in a week but you can snorkel and explore a new anchorage every day and sail in a strong breeze in relatively protected waters every day in the Sir Frances Drake channel or in the lee of Tortola so I'm sure you'll have a great time. Because it's so easy and protected, I think of sailing the BVI's as sort of a Disneyland ride for just a few real cruisers, some knowledgeable charterers and lots of people on charter boats who can barely sail and have no idea about any of the finer points of seamanship. But that's sort of OK because you really don't need to know much, and everybody seems to be having fun and nobody is getting hurt. So it's all good. Enjoy!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 13:40   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post

As for where to go, you can't really miss and there's lots of info about the BVI's online and in cruising guides. There will probably be a cruising guide on the boat. You can't come close to seeing it all in a week but you can snorkel and explore a new anchorage every day and sail in a strong breeze in relatively protected waters every day in the Sir Frances Drake channel or in the lee of Tortola so I'm sure you'll have a great time.
But don't get your hopes up too high for the snorkeling - every place we went it was pretty bad. Dead coral, few turtles, few fish. Not knocking BVI overall - for all the reasons jtsailjt says it is the best place for the less experienced. It is pretty, the people are nice, lots of islands to hop to, perfect for a week, as he says! Soak it up!
Old 17-02-2022, 16:00   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

My daughter, her fiancé and 4 friends did a BVI cruise 2nd week of January 2022 and had no such problems as described by the OP. Their boat had some issues being from a second tier company but otherwise they had an awesome time.

It sounds like things have gotten worse.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter