Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2021, 13:28   #1

Boat: Morgan 382
BVI charter DON'T DO IT!

I bit the bullet and just returned from a charter in the BVI. What a mistake. Lost significant sailing time to Covid regulations changing and no one really knowing what is going on. Had to have several covid tests at $140.00 dolars each for two people. Only a few places to get tested and appiontments are necessary. Had to use internet protals for everything, and the portals were crap and did not work (allow entries to be saved)leaving one with no options. Notify and officials and then be told there is no work around. Lots of stress. Then our Government change returning covid test from 72 hours to 24 hours with no notification. Try getting the suddenly changed test on a Sunday for a Monday flight. I decided to charter after I got the notice that the BVI DID NOT REQUIRE FILLING OUT THE PORTAL, Just show up with a Vaccination card and test within 5 days. BOTH NOT TRUE. Mask mandates inside any building or vehicle. A total CLUSTER. I will not return until theBVI gets their act together. Maybe never.
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 15:19   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: BVI charter DON'T DO IT!

Thanks for the information. Definitely sounds frustrating!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 19:24   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

If you are from California as I am with all the mandates we have and you are complaining...then it must be really BAD. Thanks for the heads up...I was thinking about chartering but my instincts told me is too early to make any plans with all the covid restricions that keep changing week to week.
abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 20:28   #4

I also was in BVI chattering
Tooo much hassles
I won’t return either
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 22:49   #5

Wednesday we will hit our 6th country since the beginning of October. If you do have a lot of flexibility, there are some great options without crowds.

If you don't have open ended travel plans where you can easily change, it's not the time to be traveling.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:23   #6

Boat: Taswell 43

We're currently in Puerto Rico, getting ready to head east and USVI. BVI was high on our list.....looks like we may need to reconsider! Based on all the following/reading I've done, I thought the only really ugly part to going to the BVI was the required Covid19 travel insurance, specifically for the days you planned to be in the BVI-sounds like a lot more hassle than just the ins. I guess it'll be another very crowded USVI this season!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:34   #7

Boat: Young 42

I understand the frustration with the testing, and the difficulty in scheduling appointments. It sounds like the BVI government is screwing up. But you lost me when you complained about being required to wear a mask inside buildings. Is that really such a big deal? I am living in Taiwan, where masks have been mandated in public buildings for nearly two years. There are only a handful of positive Covid tests here each day, and zero deaths. In the region where I live, there have been no cases in months. Yet people wear the masks without complaint. You are lucky to be well off enough to even consider chartering a sailboat abroad. For 2 years I and 95% of Taiwanese have limited our travel to this small island, which as a circumnavigating sailor is certainly frustrating for me. But, there is plenty of beauty to discover at one's doorstep. Try being thankful and grateful, instead of being angry, and look closer to home for adventure.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:49   #8

Thanks for feedback. Was going to charter in Feb, but will do something else. Not sure why they don’t open things up to full vaccinated travelers. BVI and elsewhere for that matter. There is going to be variants of Covid around for years to come. We’re all going to have to learn to live with it. Get vaccinated, get Covid, take your chances, whatever your choice is to “live with it”. Personally I’m fully vaccinated and boosted and don’t understand hesitancy people have, but to each his/her own. But the current policies are going to bankrupt charter and restaurant businesses down there if BVI govt doesn’t wise up.
Skipper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:37   #9

Boat: MacGregor 25 & Lagoon 42

Sounds like you needed to more research and prep for your trip. I just did a trip down to the BVI via St Thomas with a crew of 7 - no BVI portal needed, we showed our vaccination cards (don’t recall anyone asking about our insurance), got tested at the dock (logged in for the test while waiting for the ferry), 20 or so minutes, all 7 of us were going thru customs.

For the return trip, we did eMed tests so we could get into St Thomas while on the boat. Piece of cake.

I also have friends who recently were on their boats in the BVI - same experiences as mine.

Not sure where your problems originated from.

And if you don’t want to wear a mask indoors or in a car with others (taxi) then please, stay out of the islands and allow the rest of us to enjoy them. Small precautions make a huge difference.

I encourage anyone who wants to sail the BVI to do it. It’s easy, the locals are so grateful for people to come back, the crowds for the 2 weeks I was there weren’t bad, and the water is spectacular. Do the research - check out the Travel Talk Online BVI forums ( they’re constantly talking about the requirements and are very welcoming of questions) - and then have a great time. Don’t let anyone discourage you.

Besides, it’s supposed to be an adventure!
Timethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:43   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

I've been traveling to the Virgin Islands since 1968, so I've experienced many, many different situations over the years. I truely love the Islands and the people. We flew into Tortola so that is a difference. No outgoing tests at the airport. The test reqirements for air travel are 24 hrs outbound , but 48hrs for ferry travel. MAKES NO SENSE. When we arrived in Tortola, we were denied entry because we did not complete the portal even though that need was supposedly removed for those Fully Vaxxed which we were. Questioned this and got different answeres from the personnel. Took hours to get through the mess. We were not the only ones to experience this. Other travelers did so too. Those with tests within 48 hrs were allowed to pass. Long and short is the rules changed almost daily and thus it's a crap shoot. Some get lucky, some don't. Talking with the locals, they are just as frustrated with the situation. As a side note, I have no problem wearing a mask when required, I was just stating facts for those who would like information. There is a real good reason that the AVI is booming while the BVi is suffering. BE FOREWARNED. We will not return until they get theire act together. Many other travelers we spoke to felt the same. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:48   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

look guys , right now travelling remains a PITA. I just flew home from Greece , I had to present , EU COVID pass, an 48 hour antigen test pass(€10), a ticket, a passport to a very over worked girl, it added an hour to the check-in processes ( because there's always idiots who simply cant follow a process)

we just have to live with it
Old 09-12-2021, 06:53   #12

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
I bit the bullet and just returned from a charter in the BVI. What a mistake. Lost significant sailing time to Covid regulations changing and no one really knowing what is going on. Had to have several covid tests at $140.00 dolars each for two people. Only a few places to get tested and appiontments are necessary. Had to use internet protals for everything, and the portals were crap and did not work (allow entries to be saved)leaving one with no options. Notify and officials and then be told there is no work around. Lots of stress. Then our Government change returning covid test from 72 hours to 24 hours with no notification. Try getting the suddenly changed test on a Sunday for a Monday flight. I decided to charter after I got the notice that the BVI DID NOT REQUIRE FILLING OUT THE PORTAL, Just show up with a Vaccination card and test within 5 days. BOTH NOT TRUE. Mask mandates inside any building or vehicle. A total CLUSTER. I will not return until theBVI gets their act together. Maybe never.
Never again works for me. Years back we chartered a few times out of Tortola, but the acts of theft/piracy by BVI during the Covid pandemic have made it easy to just say 'NO'.
Hey I know - one or more foreign vessels sneaked into remote anchorages illegally, and did so knowingly it appears. But the U.S. citizens that accidently wandered into BVI waters (easy to do around St. John's) were attempting to leave when 'apprehended'. They never anchored or attempted to go ashore, but nonetheless were detained ashore for a couple of weeks in miserable conditions, with their boat confiscated, and facing tens of thousands of dollars in fines. Payable in cash only.
To insist that BVI authorities were 'protecting' their citizenry by arresting and bringing ashore sailors that were trying to leave their waters is ludicrous.
Dozens of people were exposed to these co-called criminals during their arrest and detention! There are plenty of places to charter in the Caribbean. In this case an injury to one is an injury to all, and I don't care to deal with criminals or pirates.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:06   #13

This is from November.

https://bvinews.com/jtf-ensuring-boaters-complying-with-customs-immigration-laws/
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:34   #14

Boat: Alerion Express 28

We have booked a March charter in the USVI with plans to sail to Culebra, Vieques and St. Croix. We deliberately left the BVI out of consideration because of the bizarre treatment they are giving charterers. Their government seems to know how to shoot themselves in the foot. They will probably be asking for financial aid from the British because of covid.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:34   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 43 T

Chartered for two weeks in the Spring out of Tortola via flights through Puerto Rico. Group of four sailors. .

Other than an airline delay in San Juan over testing verification is was an amazing trip. Sure there were protocols to follow, but we found the BVI system efficient and reliable. We have traveled internationally after that trip for sailing in Croatia and it was much the same. It’s s new world of travel out there. My advice. If you want to go anywhere internationally. Get over it. This is how it’s going to be for the foreseeable future. Do your homework. Follow the protocols to the letter and be patient. It beats sitting at home reading a magazine.

On a side note the sailing in both locations was epic. I have never seen the BVI with this few boats and we have been going there since the early 80’s. The Baths. Not a single boat there. Had the place to ourselves. Cane Garden Bay two nights. Not a single boat. Unbelievable. Plus they are desperate for tourism there. Go now and support this wonderful cruising ground and the accommodating people who are trying to survive there.
Steve Mason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter