Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2022, 10:07   #1

C-CAT 48

Hi All

Thought to share with you some outcomes after visiting the C-Catamarans boatyard in Fiumicino (Rome - IT) https://www.c-catamarans.com/?lang=en

The yard is the historical COMAR YACHTS, which has been building composite monohulls since 1961. Their COMET range has won several Italian and European championships and the ORC World championship in 2008.

Their range of catamarans is currently based on the C-CAT 37 (I believe built and sold in about a dozen of units globally, maybe more) and on the C-CAT 48 launched in 2021.

Unfortunately I was not able to check on a finished product since the 48 Hull #2 left a couple of days ago for Barcelona for the Multihull of the year event.

However I have seen the hull #3 under construction and I was pretty impressed (up to now they got order for the first 5 hulls)

They build the hulls and deck in a single unit (Epoxy) and I witnessed the cure of details and the extensive use of carbon fiber for the main structures where load requires it. The owner, Massimo Guardigli, drove me through all different processes and details showing a huge background of knowledge and skills which was almost overwhelming (but I enjoyed each single minute of the visit ).

As said, I could not visit a finished unit, and to be honest going through some YouTube videos I was a bit sceptic (but most probably due to color and finish choices of the first owners). The good thing is that C-Catamarans can reach a level of customization which is unheard since they are able to build in-house anything needed or required.

So, all in all, I came out of this visit pretty impressed. I now believe that the only thing this guys are missing is some good marketing cause everything else is spot on.
Giova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 01:12   #2
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: C-CAT 48

Thanks for the info. I like the look of the 37. Very nice finish.
Sure some people won't like the exposed helms but give a lot of room in the cockpit.
Would be nice to know how they sail.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:00   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I'll be in Barcelona on Friday but I don't see the C-Cat on the list.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:08   #4

Same here, I look forward to try one, hopefully soon.

Hull #2 is owned by someone who previously had a Mattia 52 and he seems to be blown away by the C-Cat 48.

Seeing the hulls shape and considering the displacement I have no many doubts it sails great. Also, it has carbon “curved” daggerboards.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:18   #5

They are not at the yacht-show, they are at Port Ginestra for the multihull of the year (I believe it starts on Monday)
Old 12-10-2022, 06:20   #6

What Guardigli told me is that their best performance with a fully loaded hull #1 has been 8knts of speed in 8knts of true wind at 28degrees AWA
Old 12-10-2022, 06:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giova View Post
They are not at the yacht-show, they are at Port Ginestra for the multihull of the year (I believe it starts on Monday)
Apologies: European Yacht of the Year”
Old 12-10-2022, 06:41   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I really like the 37. It's great to see someone making a smaller production cat in that price range.

Still not sure about curved asymmetrical boards for a cruising boat. The thought of a quick tack, getting hit with a gust, and windward hull now getting lift, makes me shudder. Better be able to adjust those boards under load.

By the way, I think this is a vinyl ester boat and not "real" epoxy as stated. They call it epoxy-vinyl on their site.... which has been a marketing term for vinyl ester or modified epoxy in the past.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
I really like the 37. It's great to see someone making a smaller production cat in that price range.

Still not sure about curved asymmetrical boards for a cruising boat. The thought of a quick tack, getting hit with a gust, and windward hull now getting lift, makes me shudder. Better be able to adjust those boards under load.

By the way, I think this is a vinyl ester boat and not "real" epoxy as stated. They call it epoxy-vinyl on their site.... which has been a marketing term for vinyl ester or modified epoxy in the past.
Hull #1 was built as published but they found out that it was not matching the target displacement. Hull #2 is Epoxy. #5 full carbon. As said not being a production cat they are capable of extreme customizations (and as said they could improve marketing efforts ��)
Old 12-10-2022, 12:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I'll be in Barcelona on Friday but I don't see the C-Cat on the list.
@Sand Crab
Do you want me to try to facilitate your visit to the cat in Spain? I believe there’s also the chance for prospect customers to have sea-trials. To be honest I am still far from being ready for a purchase, but extremely curious on what would be your impressions since I won’t be able to be there.
Old 13-10-2022, 02:46   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Thanks but no. I’m not that interested. Seeing it at a boat show would be cool though.
Old 13-10-2022, 03:56   #12

I’ll do my best to jump on one of them asap and provide my feedback
Old 20-04-2023, 22:32   #13

Hi All,
It looks like the yard is taking off https://www.multihulls-world.com/106...ls/votes/votes

C-Cat 48 winner of the Sail Performance category by Multihulls World.

Congratulations!