Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 06:05   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Can you have Comfort, Value and Performance in a Catamaran?

[QUOTE=Astroman;3076793] I prioritize comfort and value but I would LOVE a bit of performance.

When you say performance, what sort of speed do you think at 48ft cat will cruise at on average and do you think this is slow?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 06:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Take a look at Knysna 500SE - neither the Privilege nor the Knysna are performance as such but they will be streets ahead of the production boats in every area.
Also if you really want performance then that means daggerboards and daggerboards mean constraints on space.
I met the owner at this past boat show. Great buy. Sail Away price was 895k, which is really good for this size boat. I don't know as much about construction of this boat but can find out more. No used on the market that I can see.

I also looked at Nautitech 46 open (don't like helms). they have a 541 with the Hybrid helm but it's $1.2 and I don't see any used.

From what I see, buying a used privilege for 800k has a better resale value in 2-3 years than a used production boat as long as well maintained.

Keith from Sailing Zatara says he's a bit faster than the production boats over open water. Many factors that determine this though (boat or skipper?).
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 06:13   #18

[QUOTE=Pete7;3077008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I prioritize comfort and value but I would LOVE a bit of performance.

When you say performance, what sort of speed do you think at 48ft cat will cruise at on average and do you think this is slow?

Pete
I guess I don't want to be stuck at 5-7 knots on long passages. Goal is comfortably sail in light wind. At 15 knots could you get 8-10 knot? Shaving a week from Panama to Marquesas is $$ in fuel, food, comfort.
Old 18-02-2020, 06:19   #19

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
I met the owner at this past boat show. Great buy. Sail Away price was 895k, which is really good for this size boat. I don't know as much about construction of this boat but can find out more. No used on the market that I can see.

I also looked at Nautitech 46 open (don't like helms). they have a 541 with the Hybrid helm but it's $1.2 and I don't see any used.

From what I see, buying a used privilege for 800k has a better resale value in 2-3 years than a used production boat as long as well maintained.

Keith from Sailing Zatara says he's a bit faster than the production boats over open water. Many factors that determine this though (boat or skipper?).

Knysnas come for sale from time to time and sell quickly. They yard only builds 5 or 6 a year so obviously there ain’t many of them.

If you want a non-production boat then you have to seek them out. All the decent ones hold their values better than production boats for obvious reasons but in this size range they are also usually 3 cabin versions - again for obvious reasons
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 06:30   #20

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
@Astroman

Pete
Like this perhaps? Isn't this how everyone cruises, at 10-13 knots upwind?

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 06:35   #21

Have you watched the Ruby Rose catamaran review videos? They are looking for a cat and have visited, and reviewed quite a number of catamarans.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9r...FbnUSjtmv6Jq6w

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 06:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Like this perhaps? Isn't this how everyone cruises, at 10-13 knots upwind?
Well, I do, but I didn't want others to feel bad

Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on a little performance gain among a cruising cat for value and it doesn't matter if i'm buying an FP, Lagoon, knysna, Leopard, St Francis, or privilege and the difference is negligible?
Old 18-02-2020, 06:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Have you watched the Ruby Rose catamaran review videos? They are looking for a cat and have looked at, and review quite a number of catamarans.
I have. Great resource. they love that Seawind 1600!
Old 18-02-2020, 06:40   #24

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Touché

You can even see that Phaedo is in proper caribbean cruising mode, because they already seem to have had their dinghy stolen while visiting a previous island
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 06:59   #25

Quote:

Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on a little performance gain among a cruising cat for value and it doesn't matter if i'm buying an FP, Lagoon, knysna, Leopard, St Francis, or privilege and the difference is negligible?

For the better boats the difference will not be negligible
Old 18-02-2020, 07:07   #26

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Truth be told the nut behind the wheel is more of a factor in boat speed than anything else. I just finished crewing on the Baja Ha-Ha along with about 120 other boats that made the trip. It still shocks me how some boats I figured would be much faster would up being much slower than the boat I was on. I do like my Seawind and would suggest you look at the 1600. I consider the dagger board issue you mentioned a non factor. Even the stiffest boat does not really move straight ahead, there is always a little sideslip. This means a head on hit between a dagger board and an object is unlikely, rather it will be more of a glancing blow. My biggest fear is hitting a mostly submerged cargo carrier and taking out a big part of the hull. But I also understand that is unlikely.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 07:09   #27

Boat: Valiant 40

I dunno what St. Francis 50s are going for but the performance is pretty good from my experience. While the fiinishing is a bit spartan compared to a Privilege, I found it very nice and no less comfortable.
Old 18-02-2020, 07:12   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I dunno what St. Francis 50s are going for but the performance is pretty good from my experience. While the fiinishing is a bit spartan compared to a Privilege, I found it very nice and no less comfortable.

About $1.2mill on the water fully specced
Old 18-02-2020, 07:17   #29

Forget these floating condos... get TS5 @649k€ excl VAT or TS42 @418k€ excl VAT catamaran By Marsaudon Composites http://www.marsaudon-composites.com/en

Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 07:27   #30

A more spartan, less cruising boat then the Marsadons are hardly imaginable...
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, grass