Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2008, 20:48   #1

Cat Criterias

Another poster listed the following as factors in choosing a Cat.
Price, speed, comfort, strength, quality of construction and finish.

Within the context of a two person Cat, size 32'-40,' my priorities are...

1. Quality of contruction/finish
2. Comfort
3. Price
4. Strength
5. Speed

My thinking is this. I'm not a DIY guy and so I want a boat that will incur the least amount of repairs. Layout/comfort is important to my wife. Price is a factor but our purchase will be used, not new, so that should tame the bill somewhat. I hope to spend no more than 200k. Strength of hull is not that important, because we will be cruising the Caribbean during the Winter, hopefully avoiding most storms. Finally, speed is not a factor. That last thing I want to concern myself with is how soon I get there.

Given our priorities, what Cat should we zero in on.

-Greg
Greg Schoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 20:53   #2

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
Given our priorities, what Cat should we zero in on.

-Greg
Go to the boat show">Miami Boat show in February and go on ALL of the different cats. Try and get on some demo sails. Then go and charter a cat for a week and see what you like and dont like about it.

Then if you are ready, decide on what cat is good for you. Or go to the Annapolis boat show in the fall and start over...then decide.

Dont rush the decision.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 21:42   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Keegan is absolutely right. Charter a cat for a week to see if you really like it. We chartered two catamarans before we made our purchase. After a week on the Privilege 39, we were sold. We just had to go back to work to earn some more money to pay for it.

If you have never sailed on a catamaran or lived on a catamaran, you would be remiss to not take a charter on the prospective boat. It could save you a lot of grief and disappointment. There's a dump truck full of money at stake, as well as making sure that you get a cat that suits your purposes.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 21:49   #4

I need to clarify. We're 2-5 years out from purchasing. I just want to get to know the market now, distinguishing between the Caddy's and the Chevy's.

So...please offer what Cat you would buy if you had my criteria.

-Greg
Old 27-01-2008, 22:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Have you looked through Yachtworld.com for catamarans under 200K from 32 to 40 feet? My inclination would be towards a tried and true factory produced boat and away from an individuals backyard project boat.

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

This one looks pretty decent and it is located in the US.
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

Catana's, Privilege's, and Lagoons are generally pretty decent boats. Of course there are other good production boats.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 06:40   #6

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Finally, speed is not a factor. That last thing I want to concern myself with is how soon I get there.
Well, perhaps you shouldn't limit yourself to a cat.

To get a comfortable cat <$200K that has low maintenance, you're talking some of the smallest cruising cats available. "Least amount of repairs" essentially translates to "simple and not old". Look at a new Gemini 105 for starters. But it might be too fast for you.

You could get a slower, much bigger mono for that money that some would argue is more seaworthy and more comfortable than a very small, young cat.

JMHO

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 09:50   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Greg the search function on this forum is excellent. I think you'll find that the subject has a lot of information on here.

Good luck
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 11:27   #8

Our first look at sailboats was the Hunter 36 at the Portland Boat Show. A very knowledgeable saleslady had the same boat herself, spending most of their time on it offshore near Costa Rica. We were very intrigued with the interior layout, etc. However, I'm nervous about the heeling effect. Perhaps that is something mono-sailers get use to? Perhaps it's not a factor while island hopping in the Caribbean?

I've zeroed in on Gemini. Love their layout and price. But...the owners seem to have an inordinate amount of head repairs. Also the Gemini owner took one across the Atlantic and had their share of difficulties. If that happens to him, an experience DIY sailer, then how vulnerable are we? Also, I prefer Cats with a dual engine. I own a twin engine 30' Carver and love using the twins for docking purposes. Much easier than my other boat, a 22 footer with a single.

Fortunately, time is on our side. This spring/summer, I will be crew person on a Contessa 25 footer during weekly races. I figure that I'll learn a lot about sailing soon and should be able to form conclusions at to which boat to buy, when the time comes.

-Greg
Old 28-01-2008, 13:05   #9
cruiser

Like I said earlier, this has been covered many times on here already, use the forum search engine or google Catalac or Prout boats. a used 10M will run about 100K and is built like a battleship.
Old 28-01-2008, 13:29   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Greg, if you're crewing on a Contessa 26 (I'm not aware of a 25) you'll find out soon enough about heeling. They are incredibly well balanced boats, but very tender initially (they tend to heel very easily at first) as they are so narrow.

If you've got a few years then the suggestion of going to boat shows, watching the market, and perhaps chartering is an excellent one. Lets face it, who knows what the market will have available used for 200,000 in the next few years.

For less than 200 right now you can get a PDQ 36 (there is another thread now discussing it) which is a terrific Caribbean cruiser and actually has pretty good performance. It would also give you the twins you are hoping for.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 15:23   #11

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
I'm not a DIY guy and so I want a boat that will incur the least amount of repairs. -Greg
Greg:

With all due respect, with the description of your budget, I would plan on being a DIY person whether you like to or not. ALL Boats are going to have many things to maintain or that break and require repair as you sail them extensively and if you dont have alot of money to pay someone to fix it then DIY is the only way. By reading a couple of your posts it sounds like you believe that there are boats that have very few things that need fixing or extensive maintanence. There are no boats like that, unless you buy a small boat for daysailing near your home, and even those need DIY from time to time.

Realistic Expectations are important to understand before you spend your hard earned cash.

If you truly do not like DIY then chartering is not a bad alternative and is sometimes no more expensive than owning a boat, depending on how much you charter of course.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 19:23   #12

Thanks Keegan,

I own three powerboats and certainly have first hand experience with systems malfunctioning. However, a mechanic or pal is often nearby, and on some occasions, I've been able to patch a fix myself. My concern is being in Carribean and having a sail malfunction, or head, or a vital system that I can't repair myself. I've read the Bumfuzzle blog and was disturbed that Pat was constantly fixing his Cat. I doubt if I have his ability.

I believe strongly in maintenance. However, I want a boat that was built right the first time.

BTW....is a typical sailboat less finicky than a typical powerboat?

-Greg
Old 28-01-2008, 20:07   #13
cruiser

One of the definitions of Cruising is "fixing your boat in exotic places."

It's unavoidable
Old 29-01-2008, 02:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Like I said earlier, this has been covered many times on here already, use the forum search engine or google Catalac or Prout boats. a used 10M will run about 100K and is built like a battleship.
Rick,

Thanks for the direction. Thoroughly enjoyed your web page. I did notice a Catalac for 87k on yachtworld. Nice!

-Greg
Old 29-01-2008, 02:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Greg, if you're crewing on a Contessa 26 (I'm not aware of a 25) you'll find out soon enough about heeling. They are incredibly well balanced boats, but very tender initially (they tend to heel very easily at first) as they are so narrow.
Brad
I misspoke. It's a 1970 Cal 25. I just finished Maiden Voyage about a young American girl who single handed the globe in a Contessa 26.

-Greg