Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2008, 11:21   #1

Cat for lake Erie????

We're sold on the Lagoon 44 for our family and creature comforts. We will not be going to the ocean, however Lake ERIE has shown us 10 ft + waves close spaced within a time that shore could not be reached from a few miles out. If anyone has seriously sailed Lake Erie you know what I mean. 5 sailing yachts left our YC this summer neaded for calmer seas; After 22 days of continuous 20 to 35 Knot winds. Comments were all the same. "we wanted wind but this is rediculous". Is there a better cat then the 44 that could sustain say 15 hours of lake Erie storms in relative safety and have nearly the accomodations of the 44? 10 footers are by far not the maximum we see. Crest to crest is very short thus creating potential serious problems. I believe the formal count for ship wrecks / sinkings an Lake Erie exceed 270 since records have been kept. We had 6 friends who were all vicyims of a sudden storm and perished in a 60 foot ocean going commercial fishing vessel that washed ashore belly up after one of lake Eries brutal surprises.

Your thoughts will be appreciated. This will be big bucks for us however safety is first. Perhaps a cat is not the boat design needed?
anchorman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 11:34   #2

Whatīs your budget?
How many onboard? beds?

You can take a look at www.liveantares.com and you can find one used here 2005 PDQ Antares 44i Boat For Sale

And about oceans, as i understand lake erie is like a smaller ocean.

I donīt know the difference between lagoon 44 and 440?
Old 14-09-2008, 11:53   #3

lagoon

The 440 model is our preference with 3 sleeping cabins. Budget is open (not a problem however we'd be looking used 2005 / 2006) Say 300K +/- Our crew is 4 adult and 3 teenies for 3 to 10 day jaunts to Canada, Cawtaba, Niagara Falls area; pretty much covering the entire lake for the 7 months of sailing weather.

The real issue is the capability to stand up in the wicked weather of Lake Erie safely. We seldom see any cats on our travels and none docked at our home port of Erie, PA.

We,ve done well with our catalina 40 in much bad weather, however the cave atmosphere is getting a bit old with our younger crew.
Their accustomed to a 42 express which is very much an open boat to enjoy the semi sheltered out doors. The cat fits that bill very well.
Old 14-09-2008, 12:50   #4

you rarely see a cat on the lakes because of bridge deck clearance... with the waves so steep and close together and regularly reaching 4 and 5 foot (at least on Ontario) bridge decks pound hard... i own a cat, love cats but would personally stay with a mono on the lakes...
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 13:56   #5

I too can vouch for never seeing a cruising cat on lake erie but as i've only lived here for 3 years, have no boat and am young (21) my words don't hold that strong. I do however know there is a 25-30 ft daysailer cat docked between dobbins landing and where the brig niagra is. Anchorman2, and i've seen a few hobiecats. If you ever need crew send me a message here.
malovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 14:10   #6

erie cruising cat

I'm familiar with all the cats in erie however, no cruisers like the 440. We have a real beauty and can live with it OK. The shows and other advertisments make me drool for that which might fulfill most of my wish lists. I down deep concur about the mono however some real life experiences about foul weather on lake erie with larger cats would be of major interest. Perhaps there is none to be had. Some experiences I had on the Cheasapeake with larger cats sold me but 3 foot chops are a piece of cake for any boat to live with.
Old 14-09-2008, 14:15   #7

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
I've said it before but I'll say it again anyway... In bad weather the last place I'd want to be is up on that bridgedeck on a Lagoon 440. You are too high and too exposed to the elements

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 14:29   #8

Thanks Mike. I' concur down deep. If I could pull it off:: A Cheoy Lee 52 Motorsailor DUHHHHHHH I'm only about 300K short!!!
Old 14-09-2008, 15:55   #9

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
When I said bridgedeck in my previous post I meant to say flybridge. There are plenty of suitable cats with high bridgedeck clearance including the Lagoon 440 - but that flybridge is a no-no in bad weather as far as I'm concerned.

Lagoon 420 would be worth considering... Good safe configuration if a little underpowered.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 16:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
I've said it before but I'll say it again anyway... In bad weather the last place I'd want to be is up on that bridgedeck on a Lagoon 440. You are too high and too exposed to the elements
Iīve said it before....and you are probably alone up their.