Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 17:21   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Cat haul out from Florida to North Carolina

Hi, around June we would like to haul out somewhere along the US East Coast. Slightly above 30.5 N would be cool for insurance but lower down is still OK so long as it complies with tie downs etc. Sephina is a lagoon 400 12m x 7.25m 11 tonne. We would want to leave her on the hard for about 5 months while we do some land cruising. Would prefer somewhere pretty hurricane safe. No real amenities are required as we will likely be leaving her and picking her up within a week of arriving and departing.
Any suggestions that don't break the bank would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 23:38   #2

Boat: Switch 51
Re: Cat haul out from Florida to North Carolina

If your mast is under 65 feet Jarretbay NC is a good choice can be had for $10/ft

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 04:14   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mast is about 66' so probably a no go heading under ICW bridges.
Old 19-12-2014, 14:12   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440, Hull#111

St. Augustine Marine Center can handle you without a problem and you won't have any mast height issues. Reasonable prices too. Maybe a bit further south than you want to be but St. Augustine is not known for frequent major storms. But it is Florida so no guarantees.

St. Augustine Marine Center | Northeast Florida's Complete Boat Yard and Marina
Old 19-12-2014, 14:38   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Monte - you can go thru the Grayden Paul draw bridge in Beaufort to get up to Jarret Bay but they are starting work on the new bridge and will close the old draw bridge sometime in the future. So currently, there is no mast limit to Jarret Bay. The new bridge is reported to be completed in 2019 so as long as you are back out before then, you are set.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 14:41   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cll2 View Post
St. Augustine Marine Center can handle you without a problem and you won't have any mast height issues. Reasonable prices too. Maybe a bit further south than you want to be but St. Augustine is not known for frequent major storms. But it is Florida so no guarantees.

St. Augustine Marine Center | Northeast Florida's Complete Boat Yard and Marina
seconded. They had several cats ashore when we left our then trawler with them for a year whilst we went home to the UK. They have groundscrews they can put in place I believe if a storm does pop up, but it is a lower risk area than most in Florida. jacksonville airport is fairly close as is eve n Orlando and I believe there are shuttle buses operating from the citywhich is a popular tourist spot..
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 15:05   #7

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Monte - you can go thru the Grayden Paul draw bridge in Beaufort to get up to Jarret Bay but they are starting work on the new bridge and will close the old draw bridge sometime in the future. So currently, there is no mast limit to Jarret Bay. The new bridge is reported to be completed in 2019 so as long as you are back out before then, you are set.
Ed
The new bridge construction will have girders in place around April 1st of 2015 so Jarrett Bay will be a no go for mast heights over 65 feet. This is from the NC DOT project manager. I'm pulling my boat out of Jarrett Bay and will get updates after the new year but I expect them to be close to that schedule.
truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 17:51   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks a lot guys. St augistines looks like a reasonable option for a start. Full services and in water or out which might good for getting sorted before and after haul out. It says haul out is $650, I'd assume it's in and out for that fee. Is that the way it's usually quoted in the US? Monthly rate is around $500 for a 40' cat which seems reasonable.
Old 23-12-2014, 18:12   #9
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well it seemed ok till I got the full quote and details back. Now not so good. Storage is good at around $500/ months, but the extras really add up. The $600 is each way on the lift. Tie downs to comply with insurance another $400, no self anti fouling so another 2k there plus admin fees and tax pushes it up to just over 7k for 5 months.im hoping there's some other options slightly north or south of there if anyone has any recommendations...
Cheers
Old 23-12-2014, 19:53   #10

Boat: Westsail 32

Savannah Georgia is north of 31 degrees and is considered to be hurricane safe. The people at Lee Shore Marina have a marine railway that can handle your cat. Talk to them and see what they can come up with.

Lee Shore Marina | Georgia
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 00:08   #11

Boat: Various

Bennett Brothers in Wilmington.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 05:07   #12

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Catamaran boatyard in Key Largo lets you do your own work and are reasonable in cost. Some folks have had a problem with surprise fees but I think this can be avoided by asking a lot of questions beforehand. For example they have at least 3 layover rates: storage, work area daily, work area monthly. You must avoid the work area daily. I found they would beat any price I found elsewhere so I purchased a lot of materials from them. Our insurance line is north of 23deg 26' but may be to far south for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 07:21   #13

Boat: Catana 471

If you don't find an economical solution FL to NC, you could consider the Chesapeake Bay region. A very good choice there is Dennis Point Marina just a little up the Potomac River >> Welcome to Dennis Point Marina & Campground. Fifty Acres of Beautiful Waterfront call 301 994 2288 | DENNIS POINT, a world away | WDP

This is a very cat friendly DIY yard. I've hauled my cat there for three summers and am currently there this winter doing some major refit as we sit out a season of cruising. No one ties down their cats here - not necessary.

This could be a better solution than further south depending on your plans after you splash. After your 5 months out, it'll be time to head south and if this means the Carib for you, starting from the Ches Bay is WAY better than starting from anyplace further south than Beaufort, NC.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 09:38   #14
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's an interesting point. Yes we are likely to head towards the Bahamas next November. Is it an easier sail from further north? How is the sail up there from Bahamas or Carolina in June?
Nb, I'm contacting most of these marinas mentioned. Some don't have space or can't handle our beam so I will summarise all after I receive quotes for the benefit of others.
Old 24-12-2014, 10:19   #15

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
That's an interesting point. Yes we are likely to head towards the Bahamas next November. Is it an easier sail from further north?
No. Not necessarily easier southbound to the Bahamas, depending on your definition of "easy". I've done two, direct off shore passages from the Ches Bay to Spanish Wells, Eleuthera. About 4 days and that destination is easy if you arrive at night. Much better fishing than the coastal route.

But if you're starting from further south than Hatteras, it seems most (non-ICW) folks stay coastal (inside the Gulf Stream) to FL then cross to the Bahamas from there, with multiple destinations possible. This approach takes a lot longer as the coastal folks typically don't go non-stop. It can be done non-stop, of course, but the route is longer vs direct outside the GS. Of significance here is the location of the GS. It passes fairly close to Hatteras, so coming south around Hatteras you're already pretty far east and crossing the GS just SE of Hatteras is about the best place to cross it - it's narrow and well defined there. Starting from Beaufort or further south, you're pretty far west of the GS and to cross it means going pretty far east, just to turn SW towards the Bahamas once you cross it. Not really worth it.

Quote:
How is the sail up there from Bahamas or Carolina in June?
I assume you mean, "how is the sail to Ches Bay from Bahamas or NC in June?"

I've made the sail from the Bahamas to Ches Bay three times. 1) direct offshore from the Abacos, 2) first to FL, then coastwise up the coast with multiple stops, and 3) first to FL, then non-stop to Ches Bay riding the "elevator". All these were in May. Each approach has its appeal and all weather dependent, obviously.

Sailing from NC to Ches Bay in June is straightforward. Just pick a 48 hour window from Beaufort or Cape Lookout Bight and pass close around Hatteras, just outside Diamond Shoals. Stay out of the GS, which is easy to avoid.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, haul out, north carolina