Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 21:39   #16

Re: Cat purchase in Tahiti

Great thread, I am looking to buy in Tahiti to a French Registered Vessel (not FP). How long would transfer of ownership generally take. I am Australian citizen and plan to sail to Fiji. Thanks for your help in advance.
robbiekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 00:42   #17

Boat: Belize 43

Have just done that. Bought a French registered cat here in Papeete. The transfer to Australian flag requires a lot of paperwork, but its relatively straightforward. Everything you need is on the AMSA website and they are also very responsive and helpful on the phone.

https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...pping-register

The boat has to be deregistered in France first which should be part of your sales documentation process, along with bill of sale etc. If you are using a broker here in Tahiti they will know what to do.

The French part happened during the settlement period (about 2 weeks) and the Australian part about similar. The only thing that is holding up the final issue of Aus Certificate for us is the Marking Certificate. For that I have to have the registration number on the boat and the name properly displayed on the hull, then witnessed. If you are in Tahiti then that is quick (and done via email) but I had to wait to get back to Papeete to finalise it.

So, maybe 4 weeks overall, but be very precise with your paperwork. AMSA are very pedantic (eg I had put down the LOA to only 1 decimal place not 2!).

Good luck. It is a great plan and we are very excited to be able to cruise this wonderful area.
pelicans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 00:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicans View Post
Have just done that. Bought a French registered cat here in Papeete. The transfer to Australian flag requires a lot of paperwork, but its relatively straightforward. Everything you need is on the AMSA website and they are also very responsive and helpful on the phone.

https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...pping-register

The boat has to be deregistered in France first which should be part of your sales documentation process, along with bill of sale etc. If you are using a broker here in Tahiti they will know what to do.

The French part happened during the settlement period (about 2 weeks) and the Australian part about similar. The only thing that is holding up the final issue of Aus Certificate for us is the Marking Certificate. For that I have to have the registration number on the boat and the name properly displayed on the hull, then witnessed. If you are in Tahiti then that is quick (and done via email) but I had to wait to get back to Papeete to finalise it.

So, maybe 4 weeks overall, but be very precise with your paperwork. AMSA are very pedantic (eg I had put down the LOA to only 1 decimal place not 2!).

Good luck. It is a great plan and we are very excited to be able to cruise this wonderful area.
Thanks Pelicans that is some great information.
I didn't realise it would take that long.So could you sail around in Tahiti in the meantime? Just not leave?. cheers
Rob
Old 04-05-2023, 18:19   #19

You might be able to do it a little quicker, but there are a bunch of things you can't control like how long it takes the previous owner to do the French bit (which requires multiple signed copies from both of you and AMSA too, who need all the docs sent to them in Coffs hard copy).

Anyway, as you say, you can still sail around Tahiti in the meantime - hardly a terrible thing to have to do . The reason we bought here was to be able to spend plenty of time exploring this spectacular part of the world.

If there is anything else I can help with let me know. Am in Tahiti for a couple more weeks.

BTW what cat did you buy? We bought a Belize 43 which we're very excited about.
Old 21-06-2023, 00:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicans View Post
You might be able to do it a little quicker, but there are a bunch of things you can't control like how long it takes the previous owner to do the French bit (which requires multiple signed copies from both of you and AMSA too, who need all the docs sent to them in Coffs hard copy).

Anyway, as you say, you can still sail around Tahiti in the meantime - hardly a terrible thing to have to do . The reason we bought here was to be able to spend plenty of time exploring this spectacular part of the world.

If there is anything else I can help with let me know. Am in Tahiti for a couple more weeks.

BTW what cat did you buy? We bought a Belize 43 which we're very excited about.
Thanks Again. I am on the boat now since a few days in Raiatea, it is a Lagoon 380 from 2004. IT seems very well maintained
Old 21-06-2023, 00:48   #21

Great. Enjoy.
Old 26-06-2023, 10:40   #22

What an absurd situation.
Nautes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, tahiti