Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2021, 07:38   #1

Cat purchase in Tahiti

Hi all,

We're looking at purchasing a Bahia 46 out of Tahiti and would like to understand a bit more about what possible issues we might come across(maybe a wide topic). I've got reasonable offshore experience 30k nm racing and delivering so ultimately would prefer to pick it up myself and sail it to New Zealand (home). We're working through an agent here in NZ that I'm comfortable with but we need to get surveys done and with covid restrictions we are unable to access Tahiti at the moment. This is going to cause us the biggest headache if we can't get in there for another 6 months or so. I've got a thousand questions but I don't want limit the advice you guys might give us.

Thanks in advance.
Cataway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 13:48   #2

Re: Cat purchase in Tahiti

I believe you can still get into Tahiti, but you (and your surveyor) will be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival and under curfew while there. See details below (in French). This assumes you are COVID free via the testing protocol outlined in the same link.

À destination de la Polynésie française / Conditions de voyage en transport aérien au départ et à destination de la Polynésie française / Dossiers / Accueil - Les services de l'État en Polynesie française
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 14:00   #3

Boat: Lightwave 45

Have looked into this (not the Bahia, but buying in Tahiti). You will have to seek permit from Tahiti authorities and NZ authorities to return. You will have to quarantine 2 weeks + in Tahiti, sail direct to NZ and then 2 weeks quarantine in NZ at your cost. This is not likely to change for a year at least.

As far as the purchase is concerned David Alloach is the broker for the boat and he is a pretty honest guy and can arrange a local independent surveyor. Any agent in NZ is not going to be of much help. Any boat requires defect work so you will have to supervise that yourself in Tahiti. Plenty of contractors over there. For a typical boat I would allow a month to get the work done and test.

My personal conclusion was that it was such a PITA and costs involved completely negated any value in the possibility of getting a cheaper buy over there. Remember that you are up for sales tax on rentry into NZ.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:53   #4

Boat: Allied 39
Cat purchase in Tahiti

FP is currently shut down to visitors. I agree with cwjohm that David is a good guy. He and his wife Niki are good people. I have had dealings with them last year.

A important question to ask is how many years is left on the clock before importation is remaining? Before you need to import and pay the fees. Previous to last year time was 3 years. Beginning this past season it’s now 2 years before importation fee or exit is required

One positive side is that FP is fantastic cruising grounds. Buying a boat there pre covid with enough time remaining on the clock could offer some terrific travels and experiences. But with FP now closed I would look elsewhere

We imported a few years ago so the boat can stay forever.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:34   #5

Thanks for the help on this, the nz broker has the boat listed and has an branch/agents in Tahiti so I think that side should be covered but its good to know that there is another broker up that we know is good to deal with.

Just clarifying as I think Chouhila has misread the boat is in Tahiti and I'm trying to figure out how to get it to NZ. I'd love to leave it there and cruise FP that is on the list at some stage but not at this stage.

The time required to quarantine is not great as I don't really have that much time to sit around and do nothing so I'm hoping once the vaccines roll out this time may be dealt with differently.

It sounds like there aren't too many issues with the concept of buying in tahiti in a "normal" world but it a PITA at the moment.

We're still looking in NZ but there's not much available and the Aus is the next easiest place, we might just have to wait longer for something to come on the market. I'm not very good at waiting...

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:10   #6

Boat: Outremer 51

I would carefully consider the point that Chouliha is making.

Remember that you are going to have to deflag the boat from its home port, get it registered wherever you plan to register it and have all that paperwork in hand before you leave FP. Depending on where the boat is currently registered, that may take some time and if you overrun the clock on time in FP they may charge you import taxes (25-35%) before you can leave.

Hamish
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

You can get a survey done in Tahiti, or at least on Raiatea, which is acceptable for the insurance you'll need for your trip to NZ, or they were in 2010. But by all means do your own detailed survey in or out of the water. We brought our Moorings boat to Hawaii after five years in charter relying on a Raiatea survey and the delivery captain. It arrive with loose keels among other things that a professional sould have discovered.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew View Post
I would carefully consider the point that Chouliha is making.

Remember that you are going to have to deflag the boat from its home port, get it registered wherever you plan to register it and have all that paperwork in hand before you leave FP. Depending on where the boat is currently registered, that may take some time and if you overrun the clock on time in FP they may charge you import taxes (25-35%) before you can leave.

Hamish
Thanks Hamish, It might have been me that misread then. I will read through that link that and Chouliha and you are sharing. Much appreciated for emphasizing that to me.

Mark
Old 11-02-2021, 11:19   #9

JMSchmidt, thanks for pointing that out. Ultimately I would do a survey as well as have one done. Having taken many boats on and off keels that should definitely have been picked up. If it was me doing that for you I would check the torque on the keel bolts.
Old 11-02-2021, 13:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
. . .
A important question to ask is how many years is left on the clock before importation is remaining? Before you need to import and pay the fees. Previous to last year time was 3 years. Beginning this past season it’s now 2 years before importation fee or exit is required
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataway View Post
. . .
Just clarifying as I think Chouhila has misread the boat is in Tahiti and I'm trying to figure out how to get it to NZ. I'd love to leave it there and cruise FP that is on the list at some stage but not at this stage.
. . .
Cataway you have indicated your location is New Zealand. I suspect that you are a resident of NZ, and / or a citizen as not many visitors to Kiwiland during Covid pandemic times.
As such, presumably your import of the foreign made vessel will not be permitted a temporary import status and thus duty and GST would be due upon entry.

Whereas, visitors to New Zealand may import a yacht or sailing craft for up to 2 years without paying duty and GST or a financial security provided they meet all of the following criteria:

they are a permanent resident of a country other than New Zealand
the yacht or sailing craft will not be sold or offered for sale in New Zealand, or destroyed or given away without permission from Customs
the yacht or sailing craft will not be used commercially for hire, transport of cargo or carrying passengers.

If the requirements above are not met, we will require a financial security and the yacht or small craft must be exported within 12 months.

If you’re moving to NZ, you may be able to import your craft without paying Customs duty and GST.

Contact us
yachts@customs.govt.nz
Calling from NZ: 0800 428 786

Reference: https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19...d-small-craft/

Permanently Importing a vessel into New Zealand – Duty and GST issues. In most circumstances, a vessel that is imported into New Zealand will have to pay duty (5%) and GST (15%). However, vessels manufactured in countries which have entered into a free trade agreement with New Zealand will not attract duty.

Enjoy your new to you boat.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 14:28   #11

Per Noonsite French Polynesia.

https://www.noonsite.com/place/frenc...a/formalities/

CLEARING OUT

International Clearance from Papeete

For all departures for more than 50nm away from Tahiti and/or Moorea, yachts must make a clearance request.

In all cases, e-mail the Papeete Harbor Master three days (72 hours) prior to departure from Tahiti and/or Moorea.

E-mail trafficmaritime@portppt.pf
copy to sp@portppt.pf and marinadepapeete@portppt.pf
Include:

details of your boat name,
captain’s name,
date of departure
destination (for example Cook Islands via the Leeward Islands or Tonga).
If you are planning on just cruising the Polynesian Islands and then returning to Tahiti/Moorea, sending the e-mail is all you need to do. You will receive your clearance by e-mail and when you return to Tahiti/Moorea you simply need to e-mail the Harbor Master with your date of return and place of mooring. No Customs Declaration is needed in this case.

Departing Tahiti and sailing to a foreign country via other FP Islands:

The Harbormaster will prepare your inner Polynesian Islands departure clearance in Tahiti and e-mail it to you. You must however go and meet the Gendarmes in the last FP island touched to do the official final exit from FP.

You will have to fill out a Customs Exit Declaration document, signed by the Gendarme agent. Before leaving the country, this document must be sent (by regular mail) to:

Bureau de douanes de PPT Port (service Plaisance)
Direction des douanes de Polynésie française
BP 9006 PPT – Motu Uta

The local Gendarme will give you 24 hours to leave once clearance has been granted.

Departing Tahiti and sailing directly to a foreign country:

It is compulsory to go and meet Customs at their main office in Motu Uta, Papeete, to make your Exit Declaration the day before departure. The Harbormaster will send your clearance to the Immigration authorities and a copy to the Customs office.

The day of departure the Skipper must visit Immigration at the airport to pick up the exit clearance. This gives yachts until midnight to depart.

Notes:

Duty-Free Fuel can be obtained by visiting Customs in Papeete who will issue you with a duty-free fuel certificate. This can be obtained anytime during your stay in FP.
If you have to pay a bond on entry (non-EU citizens only), ensure that your papers specify which island you will be departing from in order that arrangements can be made to retrieve your bond. For more information about paying the bond (and possible ways to get around it) see Immigration and Fees below.
International Clearance from other FP Islands

Visit the Gendarmes at the clearance port you are departing from at least a day before departure and complete a Customs Exit Declaration document, signed by the Gendarme agent. Before leaving the country, this document must be sent (by regular mail) to:

Bureau de douanes de PPT Port (service Plaisance)
Direction des douanes de Polynésie française
BP 9006 PPT – Motu Uta

Sometimes the Gendarmes will do this on your behalf, however, it is your responsibility to ensure the form gets mailed to Papeete. The Gendarmes will also stamp your passports. They will then give you 24 hours to depart.

Last updated: February 2020
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 19:49   #12

Thank you very much Montanan, that's very good of you. There will be quite a bit to figure out on this journey if we can go ahead!
Old 19-11-2021, 23:42   #13

Just curious to know how you went on with this purchase?
Was this Bahia in Tahiti, or was it the one that appeared to be on the hard in Apataki? (not at all the same place!)
When we left FP in 2018 I don't remember the process being as complicated as described here - most of our exit clearance was carried out by email. I'm certain we didn't visit the gendarmerie on Maupiti, which was our last island before departure for the Cook Islands. In fact, I'm fairly sure they don't have a gendarmerie!
jelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 05:35   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Permanently Importing a vessel into New Zealand – Duty and GST issues. In most circumstances, a vessel that is imported into New Zealand will have to pay duty (5%) and GST (15%). However, vessels manufactured in countries which have entered into a free trade agreement with New Zealand will not attract duty.

Enjoy your new to you boat.

I just checked, NZ does not have a free trade agreement with France or anyplace in Europe.
https://www.mfat.govt.nz/vn/trade/fr...ents-in-force/
Old 20-11-2021, 13:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataway View Post
JMSchmidt, thanks for pointing that out. Ultimately I would do a survey as well as have one done. Having taken many boats on and off keels that should definitely have been picked up. If it was me doing that for you I would check the torque on the keel bolts.
Luckily the Bahia has glued on mini keels, so you don't have to worry about that particular problem on survey
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, tahiti