Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2023, 08:52   #16

Re: Cat Purchase- World Circumnavigation Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffian View Post
Thanks TinTin. Our max spend is 750k.
That's a healthy budget and you should be able to get yourself into a nice used catamaran. I'd target $100k of that $750k budget for a small refit, updating it the way you want, unless you find the perfect boat right out of the gate.

I'd target, in no particular order:
-Outremer 45 or 4X
-Nautitech 44 or 46
-Leopard 45

There are a bunch of much older cats to consider as well. Honestly, I'd be more prone to go older, and buy more waterline vs. newer and shorter.

Enjoy the show in France & report back your findings!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 09:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
There is a list of catamarans to consider for offshore cruising on Mahina Expeditions/John Neale's website: https://mahina.com/wp-content/upload...e-Cruising.pdf
Thank you Sailor Sailor!
Gruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 09:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
You have got me thinking so I plan to do a comparison. My gut says that 1.75 is way too much. But instead of thumbsucking like some here, I will do proper exercise, it could be interesting either way. Will revert.

On another note I have included a little spreadsheet comparison I did of all my favorite yachts. Length, Beam, Fuel, Water etc. Figures are not guaranteed as in some cases there are different measurements on the manufacturers own site. Net load is basically load carrying capacity less the fuel and water, calculated at 1kg/liter. (And do not tell me 1 liter of diesel does not weigh 1 kg, I know this and don't care, its close enough!)
Use at your own risk!
Thanks AQfishing. Great spreadsheet, I'll use this and start adding to it!
Gruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 03:22   #19

Boat: A55

If seaworthiness, good sailing qualities and excellent construction are on your list of criteria, you should definitely consider the Chris White designed Atlantic catamarans. Worlds apart from the more typical charter oriented production boats. I own a 55 but the smaller versions (42 and 48) capture the essence very nicely.

Hulls are narrower than the charter boats but the primary berths are amidships oriented fore and aft and extend inboard over the bridgedeck so are extremely comfortable sea berths — like the cockpit they are at the center of the boat’s motion.

These boats may not be as flashy as some but they are in my opinion the most sensibly designed and built cats out there. If you were just going to hang out on the hook in the Bahamas there are lots of good choices — but since you’re actually going to be doing some serious passages there are very few other cats that compare.

I believe Chris has a very clean 42 available, here’s the Yachtworld link:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ic-42-8551613/
Chrisatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 05:51   #20

Boat: Tartan 4100

The Antares 44 should be on your short list, although even used, will be on the upper end of your budget. These cats are purpose built for cruising and have an incredible owners support group. They aren't the fastest out there for sure but can handle the added weight of cruising.
Food for thought.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 06:35   #21
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

Just finishing a build with Celtic Yachts in Cape Town, SA. We built an Admiral 40 with them, and it's a true bluewater cat.

Has a 24' beam and this boat feels much larger than all of the other 40' cats I've been on, it compares to some 42's I've been on. It is set up as an owner's version, with 3 cabins and 2 heads.

Reach out direct to me if you'd like to know more, this boat is a hidden gem.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 07:22   #22

Boat: Outremer

la Grande Motte boat show is the best place to shop for a cat, with more than 60 different multihulls on display.
main advice, don't buy a boat without testing, especially with some wind and waves.
Shenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 07:51   #23

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenan View Post
la Grande Motte boat show is the best place to shop for a cat, with more than 60 different multihulls on display.
main advice, don't buy a boat without testing, especially with some wind and waves.
Yes, the "bridge deck slam" on some boats can be quite severe
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 07:53   #24

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisatlantic View Post
If seaworthiness, good sailing qualities and excellent construction are on your list of criteria, you should definitely consider the Chris White designed Atlantic catamarans. Worlds apart from the more typical charter oriented production boats. I own a 55 but the smaller versions (42 and 48) capture the essence very nicely.

Hulls are narrower than the charter boats but the primary berths are amidships oriented fore and aft and extend inboard over the bridgedeck so are extremely comfortable sea berths — like the cockpit they are at the center of the boat’s motion.

These boats may not be as flashy as some but they are in my opinion the most sensibly designed and built cats out there. If you were just going to hang out on the hook in the Bahamas there are lots of good choices — but since you’re actually going to be doing some serious passages there are very few other cats that compare.

I believe Chris has a very clean 42 available, here’s the Yachtworld link:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ic-42-8551613/

Wow!!! $420k for a 21 year old catamaran with the space of a 35ft mono!!! It must sail really well!!!!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 12:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
There is a list of catamarans to consider for offshore cruising on Mahina Expeditions/John Neale's website: https://mahina.com/wp-content/upload...e-Cruising.pdf
I've taken one of John's offshore expeditions, and he is extremely knowledgeable and well organized. I would not hesitate to retain him as an advisor if I was buying a mono. But, he is also predominantly a mono hull sailor. In conversations with him, he's not as dialed into the modern catamaran market as he is with monos. I would not rely upon him for guidance on particular cats, although he would be a valuable resource for the systems that go into them.
3cdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 13:03   #26

Your happiness will be in proportion to the things you can do without. Every “ essential “ item like a dishwasher , dryer , washing machine is just another item to add to the things that will break while adding even more things to the list of expensive things that will break in a remote area.Take a washing machine and dryer. They don’t exist in isolation. Nope. To run them you’re going to need a larger generator. A bigger water maker. Which in itself will require a bigger generator. Which will require a bigger fuel tank and so it goes , round and round adding more complexity and expense. If you’re in the league to hire a skipper with good engineering knowledge or to beat every problem to death with a check book , fine. But if finance isn’t unlimited , simpler is better.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 13:50   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Cat Purchase- World Circumnavigation Trip

^^^^^^this. Words of wisdom
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 14:03   #28

I'll stick an oar in, although I don't profess to be nearly experienced as most on here.

You didn't say, but many who are able to afford the time and money may be middle-aged or even elderly. I feel that a 46' cat's rig is a handful in terms of the need for strength to handle the large sails, although most probably have power winches. If it is just a married couple of average strength, I would consider going for the smaller end of the 40-46 foot range. Whereas if it was a more physically able crew, that is not so much of an issue.

Just my opinion
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 14:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Wow!!! $420k for a 21 year old catamaran with the space of a 35ft mono!!! It must sail really well!!!!
The Atlantic 42 has a lot more space than a 35ft mono, but I agree the Atlantics due command a premium. However, overall I am surprised at how expensive smaller (45 or less) used cats are in general. At least when compared to monos.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 22:04   #30

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
The Atlantic 42 has a lot more space than a 35ft mono, but I agree the Atlantics due command a premium. However, overall I am surprised at how expensive smaller (45 or less) used cats are in general. At least when compared to monos.
Ok, a little exaggeration…but only a little
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, purchase