Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2023, 16:11   #1

Cat Purchase- World Circumnavigation Trip

We're planning a circumnavigation trip in 2025 and are currently shopping for boats. We're looking to purchase a newer cat between 40 and 46 ft. We've sailed a few models over the last few years and we're headed to the France multi-hull boat show in April to try to dial in on what we want. Does anyone have any general feedback about what to look for in cats that are best suited for circumnavigation trips or have recommendations for best cats? All feedback welcome.
Gruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 17:49   #2

Re: Cat Purchase- World Circumnavigation Trip

Most cats I that size range will fit the bill. I would set a budget and stick to it, and find a boat for that price. Good luck
alamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 05:55   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

If you want some useful comments give us an idea of your budget, makes a significant difference between a 45ft Outremer and a 40ft Lagoon/Leopard,FP (All of which are capable of circumnavigating at different levels of speed and comfort)
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:01   #4

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffian View Post
... Does anyone have any general feedback about what to look for in cats that are best suited for circumnavigation trips or have recommendations for best cats? All feedback welcome.
There is a list of catamarans to consider for offshore cruising on Mahina Expeditions/John Neale's website: https://mahina.com/wp-content/upload...e-Cruising.pdf
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:47   #5

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
If you want some useful comments give us an idea of your budget, makes a significant difference between a 45ft Outremer and a 40ft Lagoon/Leopard,FP (All of which are capable of circumnavigating at different levels of speed and comfort)
Yip, plus one to what he said. Let us know your budget.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:53   #6

Boat: no boat any more

weight, price, upkeep,... goes up with the 3rd power of the langt: 46' = 1.75*40' (of course all other things like age, type, equipment,.. equal)
Old 12-03-2023, 07:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
weight, price, upkeep,... goes up with the 3rd power of the langt: 46' = 1.75*40' (of course all other things like age, type, equipment,.. equal)
So you saying a 46ft cat is 1.75 times more expensive to maintain than a 40 ft?

Or am I misunderstanding?
Old 12-03-2023, 08:02   #8

very roughly yes.
Maybe even more so, as the 46' cat will have equipment the 40'er just doesn't have: washing machine, generator, electric winches, watermaker,...
Old 12-03-2023, 08:29   #9

Quote:
very roughly yes.
Maybe even more so, as the 46' cat will have equipment the 40'er just doesn't have: washing machine, generator, electric winches, watermaker,...
Our 40 has all that. Except the washing machine, but its coming! The Admiral insists on a washer dryer!
Old 12-03-2023, 08:33   #10

I give in!
So your 40'er has the same size winches, sails, engines, generators,... as a 46'er, & it cost the same. Good for you!
Old 12-03-2023, 08:37   #11

Quote:
I give in!
So your 40'er has the same size winches, sails, engines, generators,... as a 46'er, & it cost the same. Good for you!
You said and I quote:

“ 46' cat will have equipment the 40'er just doesn't have”

I did not say it was the same.
Old 12-03-2023, 16:53   #12

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

as for the 40-to 46ft quip.

This is usually a square cube rule thing. It is easier for me to explain using my two cats.
I have a 19 foot trailer sailer and a 38ft ocean cruiser. The large cat does not weigh twice the small boat but about 6 times. This is because displacement (usually) goes up by the cube. (So the little boat should be 8 times lighter but because of certain constraints like impact resistance of laminates, small boats are a little heavier than they should be).
If we take the 19 footer and double her length, double her width and double her depth we get a factor of 2x2x2=8, so there is a 8 times increase in surface area and consequently weight.
When we get to stability, that is computed by multiplying the displacement by the beam, so the 38 footer has 8 (usually) times the displacement and 2 times the beam, so it is 16 times more stable.
Rigs are engineered for stability, so making the boat much more stable means that the mast section, chainplates, rigging wires, halyards and sail cloth all have to be much heavier as well.
So I can go to a boat store and buy something for the little 19 footer that costs me less than $100 and its equivalent on the big boat might be over $500 or more.
A 46 footer with the same proportions as a 40 footer will be much bigger inside but will weight more and have bigger gear. A 46 footers rig could cost about double that of a 40 footer if all else is similar. Understanding the square cube will help when comparing different boats.
Sometimes some cats get an extra 1m added to the sterns as an extension. This won't change the displacement, so the boat is lighter than a same length cat without and extension. My 38 footer is really a 35 footer in many ways, it is light, has a smallish rig and modest accomodations, like a 35 footer, so she is a cheaper 38 footer.
It would be possible to find a 46 footer that weighs less and is cheaper than a 40 footer, but that occurs when one is made longer, lighter and less commodious than the comparable cat.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 20:08   #13

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

adding to that the places you can haul out a 40ft are plenty as this fits for 60ft monos while a 46ft the possibilties get thin.
and for 2 the 40ft is big enough.

But wait for the budget, overall and just the cat. in most cases then the dream becomes reality and a performance too expensive.
2nd at the moment its not question what you want, its a question what you can get...due to market is dry like sahara.

I am circumnavigating in a modified FP Lavezzi 40ft, the key if is lightwind sailing capabilities as you find a lot in pacific, which not many production cats can due to most are too heavy and I couldn't afford a performance cat.
Lavezzi is 7t and 2,7t load capcity plus 90sqm sail area is the economical performance oriented cruising cat.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 00:28   #14

Quote:
I give in!
You have got me thinking so I plan to do a comparison. My gut says that 1.75 is way too much. But instead of thumbsucking like some here, I will do proper exercise, it could be interesting either way. Will revert.

On another note I have included a little spreadsheet comparison I did of all my favorite yachts. Length, Beam, Fuel, Water etc. Figures are not guaranteed as in some cases there are different measurements on the manufacturers own site. Net load is basically load carrying capacity less the fuel and water, calculated at 1kg/liter. (And do not tell me 1 liter of diesel does not weigh 1 kg, I know this and don't care, its close enough!)
Use at your own risk!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Yacht Spec comparison XLS.xls (32.5 KB, 114 views)
Old 13-03-2023, 08:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Thanks TinTin. Our max spend is 750k.
Gruffian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, purchase