Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2009, 10:03   #1

Boat: Catalac 8M - FreeSpirit
Catalac 8M Shroud Stanchions

I’m in search of detailed drawings/dimensions of the shroud stanchions for my 8M Catalac. Anyone have any info so I can have them fabricated?
capuncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 12:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, capuuncook.

Can we presume that you intend to ask about "chainplates" (for shrouds), rather than "stanchions" (for lifelines)?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 11:16   #3

Boat: Catalac 8M - FreeSpirit
Catalac 8M Shroud Stanchions

Thanks GordMay,
To answer your question, my boat is a very early model and has a tabernacle for lowering the mast and chainplates on the cabin top for the upper and lower shrouds. Most 8M's came with the shroud stanchions needed to raise the fastening point for the upper shrouds to the level of the hinge bolt in the tabernacle where the mast pivots (about 28" off the cabin top). Any info on this to help me to have them fabricated or purchased would be appreciated. Thanks.
capuncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 16:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tropic Cat (Rick in Florida) has a website* All About Catalac Catamarans (8M). If he doesn’t chime in soon, send him a PM at:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cat-18354.html

* ➥ Catalac, an affordable cruising catamaran

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:05   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
The shroud stanchions in later 8m Catalacs are identical to those on the 9m. They have abot a 1ft footprint fore and aft on the deck, which attaches through the deck to angle brackets in the saloon and the forward cabins. These angle brackets take the load from the shroud and the deck, and transfer it to the ply/grp bulkhead that forms the front end of the saloon.

The actual shroud stanchion is designed so that the pivot point of the main shroud is about 1" lower than the pivot point on the tabernacle. Thus when lowering the mast, you slack off the rigging screw, but leave the shroud rigged, and it acts as a stabiliser for the mast as it is raised/lowered.

The shroud stanchion has another fitting at the aft end, and this is on the deck. This where the aft baby stay goes.

The shroud stanchion has one more connector. This is at the forward end of the stanchion, and is located vertically at the same height as the hole in the bottom of the mast (which is used for the mast lowering device - basically a long scaffolding pole with a spike at one end, and connector positions at the other) These connectors are used for stays that go from the shroud stanchion to the forward end of the mast lowering device, and thus stabilise this pole.

The spinnaker halyard and at least one other hallyard are connected to the top of the mast lowering device. The main sheets are fitted block to block on the underneath of the device, and secured to the large anchoring cleat on the foredeck. With these secured, you can follow the instructions on Rick's site for mast lowering.

If that is not clear ask for further details.
Old 01-10-2009, 13:10   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by capuncook View Post
I’m in search of detailed drawings/dimensions of the shroud stanchions for my 8M Catalac. Anyone have any info so I can have them fabricated?
Sorry, I missed this post. If you like I can measure mine and send you dimensions and photos. From that, any shop should be able to fabricate a couple of them.

Note... mine is a late model Catalac 8M. If interested email me through this forum and I will reply to your email immediately.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalac, shroud