Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 11:37   #286

Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Exactly... when governments read this thread, they are gonna require special permits to enter the sea which are only obtainable with 100+' yachts equipped with motorized long distance rescue pods and a trained security detail so that no public funds are needed for rescue or extraction et.

cheers,
Nick.
And you really believe that?
Old 08-12-2011, 22:04   #287

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

This is so silly.

Old 08-12-2011, 22:34   #288

Boat: Jeanneua 36

its great to see every one enjoying a good debate on cats =monos , im just happy to be on the water .Cats can have there ups and downs monos the same;just to make the effort and exspeance plus time to get off the couch and do it i applaud them all even the wet ones.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27   #289

My 2 cents! first OFF lets all get along here we are all sailors and we all sail differently! Some like to sail SLOW, that is OK to! For CATS capsizing only if you put them in bad areas of water and change boat specs! OK Lets talk small, which this one was it was a 19ft. plus if you change your performance specs of your boat lets say add a taller mast bigger sails on a boat that wasn't designed for that! WELL your looking for a capsizing to get more possible! EVEN a Mono sailor will capsize! If you take one of these cursing BIG cats out in the ocean like a 40footer then now your talking stupid because now we are getting in the 14k lbs of a boat! Sure a Rouge wave could capsize anyone!

Mono guys will always be Jealous of Multihuls
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37   #290
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post
My 2 cents! first OFF lets all get along here we are all sailors and we all sail differently! Some like to sail SLOW, that is OK to! For CATS capsizing only if you put them in bad areas of water and change boat specs! OK Lets talk small, which this one was it was a 19ft. plus if you change your performance specs of your boat lets say add a taller mast bigger sails on a boat that wasn't designed for that! WELL your looking for a capsizing to get more possible! EVEN a Mono sailor will capsize! If you take one of these cursing BIG cats out in the ocean like a 40footer then now your talking stupid because now we are getting in the 14k lbs of a boat! Sure a Rouge wave could capsize anyone!

Mono guys will always be Jealous of Multihuls
Mod's........... We need a FINGER Icon......

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37   #291
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The boat was a 36' Magregor.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:19   #292
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
....and we are now beating a generic issue (different cats capsizing in different circumstances) to death!....
Brad
Aw Brad.... thats never happened on this forum before!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02   #293

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

292 posts on this thread and so far not a single sailor from the area has been able to post any details on the incident, im suprised to say the least. It is a rarity for larger cats to capsize, even sportier ones like the Macgregor 36 so it would be useful to find out the circumstances of this latest incident. I know if a multi were to flip(or a mono sink) in my area i would consider it my duty to get to the truth and report it as there are always lessons to be learned. Maybe we dont have any members in the area.
Steve.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:48   #294

Had to be construction default or Skipper Fault!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44   #295
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post
Had to be construction default or Skipper Fault!
Because multihulled boats can't have design flaws? They can't have sustained some damage that caused a problem?

That's must be very comforting to you.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:01   #296
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Because multihulled boats can't have design flaws? They can't have sustained some damage that caused a problem?

That's must be very comforting to you.
Aw come on...design flaws???? I though I'd heard everything on here over the years...now it's design flaws?????

I'm sure that's news to Macgregor and that they'll say their design has less faults than a Cooper 416. But of course, you must have a least a 1000 hours of sailing on a Macgregor 36 to take this position. Please explain this boat's design flaws and I for one will bow to your experience.

I have no idea why you mono guys feel compelled to jump into the multihull area and then rag on catamaran designs. If you don't want a catamaran, then please by all means ... don't buy one. It's really that simple.

And Andy wonders why I don't post here that much any more....
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25   #297
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Aw come on...design flaws???? I though I'd heard everything on here over the years...now it's design flaws?????

I'm sure that's news to Macgregor and that they'll say their design has less faults than a Cooper 416. But of course, you must have a least a 1000 hours of sailing on a Macgregor 36 to take this position. Please explain this boat's design flaws and I for one will bow to your experience.

I have no idea why you "s feel compelled to jump into the multihull area and then rag on catamaran designs. If you don't want a catamaran, then please by all means ... don't buy one. It's really that simple.

I suppose I could follow your path here and shout and dither without reading your post or the context of it but I won't.

I didn't say it was a design flaw in the Macgregor's. However since the previous poster had stated that multihulls could only flip because of "construction default or Skipper Fault" I would suggest that ignoring other possibilities would be a comforting position to take.

I neither consider myself to be a "mono guy" nor do I consider it any of your business whether I want a catamaran or not. As for you not posting much, if this is the best you can do then I for one don't miss your participation.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:37   #298
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I have no idea why you mono guys feel compelled to jump into the multihull area and then rag on catamaran designs. If you don't want a catamaran, then please by all means ... don't buy one. It's really that simple.
It's part of CF, so I will read and post WTF I want and where I want No matter how unpleasant (and self serving) some try to make any section.

FWIW Mods can (and do ) remind me where the lines are on occassion . But rarely anything to do with Multis - last time was simply a plea not to upset the usual multi whiners as (for the Mods) kinda like dealing with infants . No names mentioned, but my guess is that the Mod was talking about people like you

Quote:
It's the internet - no one really cares........
Old 09-12-2011, 11:07   #299
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

And with this we have another closure.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran