Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2011, 13:40   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Around here we are friendly to multi's, we let them come play in our regattas and happily "pluck the crews out of the water" when required. Obviously that is not the case in your area, witness QCYC, CYCA or RYCT.
QCYC - If you mean the gladstone race - it was the multis that chose not to start with the monos. The mono start increasingly was further and further off shore in Bramble bay as race monos got deeper and deeper and some years ago the MYCQ decided that there was more in it for our sponsors to start from Manly and start much closer to shore/viewing areas etc. The QCYC does in fact run a number of races with mono/multi mixed fleets. The Surf to City and the Bribie Cup to name but two.

CYCA - even the archetype Tweed Jacket wearing gentleman's club has announced that they are exploring a multi fleet, though I will believe it when I see it.

RYCT - Hardly in my area, hobart is 1800 kms away, Chicago to where this day race cat flipped is probably about the same.

But in any event, any club can run any races they like for any boats they like. Matter for them.
Old 21-11-2011, 13:51   #92

Or maybe they aren't sinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
And maybe you're in deeper water.
Old 21-11-2011, 13:52   #93

Quote:
I guess that is why we we don't see things the same way. I've seen dozens of multi's upside down and no sunken monos. Maybe the folks here take better care of systems below the waterline because we have a season that requires annual haul outs. We have time to service and maintain seacocks and hoses.
While I find it hard to believe, I'll accept that maybe you haven't seen one. (Deep water?) Ever HEARD of a mono sinking? Or are you really saying that where you are, monohulls NEVER sink?

Anytime a cat turns over anywhere on the planet, we'll read about it here within 30 seconds. (You and Catty must work shifts to cover the news 24/7.)

But surely, even blinkered as you are, you must have heard of at least ONE monohull that sank?
Old 21-11-2011, 13:54   #94

Quote:
Or maybe they aren't sinking.
Amazing. You're actually saying monohulls never sink.

Obviously further discussion with you is pointless.
Old 21-11-2011, 13:56   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Then there's the Queen's Birthday storm. No cat's flipped, but several mono's rolled repeatedly, and one sank with the loss of 3 lives. Draw your own conclusions.
Yes, if I remember correctly the catamaran Ramtha survived unmaned with no sail set.
Richard Woods cat survived unmaned with no sail set.

Etc etc. Are we seeing a trend here?
Is the sail the problem?

Regards
Old 21-11-2011, 13:57   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
QCYC - If you mean the gladstone race - it was the multis that chose not to start with the monos. The mono start increasingly was further and further off shore in Bramble bay as race monos got deeper and deeper and some years ago the MYCQ decided that there was more in it for our sponsors to start from Manly and start much closer to shore/viewing areas etc. The QCYC does in fact run a number of races with mono/multi mixed fleets. The Surf to City and the Bribie Cup to name but two.

CYCA - even the archetype Tweed Jacket wearing gentleman's club has announced that they are exploring a multi fleet, though I will believe it when I see it.

RYCT - Hardly in my area, hobart is 1800 kms away, Chicago to Where this day race cat flipped is probably about the same.

But in any event, any club can run any races they like for any boats they like. Matter for them.

A mate used to race his Chamberlin cat in Hobart, pretty sure it was with the RYCT. (Used to flog the mono's too.)
Old 21-11-2011, 14:02   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Yes, if I remember correctly the catamaran Ramtha survived unmaned with no sail set.
Richard Woods cat survived unmaned with no sail set.

Etc etc. Are we seeing a trend here?

Regards
Yes, in survival conditions all you need to do is drop the sails, and a catamaran will keep you safe.

BTW, what boat do you have?

You claim it's a cat, but then tell us that cats are unsafe, slow, don't sail to windward, uncomfortable, expensive to buy and own... etc etc etc...

Yet you still own one?

WHY?

Why not sell your cat and buy one of those excellent unsinkable mono's Joli has? And end up millions of dollars in front?
Old 21-11-2011, 14:03   #98
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
But yesterday was still, hazy/foggy and very little wind on Galveston Bay! There were no storms and no high winds at all. Something doesn't make sense here!
This happened on Saturday. There were some pretty strong breezes on the West end of Galveston and Windguru called for gusts up to 25 kts.
Old 21-11-2011, 14:07   #99
smj

Quote:
I guess that is why we we don't see things the same way. I've seen dozens of multi's upside down and no sunken monos. Maybe the folks here take better care of systems below the waterline because we have a season that requires annual haul outs. We have time to service and maintain seacocks and hoses.
What kind of multis have you seen upside down, racing or cruising. We usually don't consider a Hobie cat or tornado to be a good example of a cruising cat in the south.
Old 21-11-2011, 14:08   #100

I don't think we see eye to eye CC44. But thats OK, have fun sailing, better not race though, odds seem to change don't they?
Old 21-11-2011, 14:08   #101

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Mmmm, still not a lot of facts.

Whilst on the subject of catamaran "problems" have you seen this.......Fears for missing yachtsman | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au

Its not looking good for this cat sailor.
Regards
Was it a powerboat??

There was a small not well considered brand of outboard powercat that capsized on a bar in NSW a couple of months back that media referred to as catamaran capsize,

It was a catamaran but certainly not a crusing sail cat.
Old 21-11-2011, 14:09   #102
smj

Quote:
I don't think we see eye to eye CC44. But thats OK, have fun sailing, better not race though, odds eem to change don't they?
No the type boat is what changes.
Old 21-11-2011, 14:10   #103

We'll, lets see, all of the F's, R33 (that's a given though, it can't leave the dock without falling over), Atlantic, Hammerhead, all the Stelleto's and a few kit boats. Mind you, these are local boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What kind of multis have you seen upside down, racing or cruising. We usually don't consider a Hobie cat or tornado to be a good example of a cruising cat in the south.
Old 21-11-2011, 14:15   #104
smj

Quote:
We'll, lets see, all of the F's, R33 (that's a given though, it can't leave the dock without falling over), Atlantic, Hammerhead, all the Stelleto's and a few kit boats. Mind you, these are local boats.
You've mentioned all flat out performance racing boats and a performance cruiser. Oh yeah, the f boats and hammerhead are trimarans not catamarans.
Old 21-11-2011, 14:18   #105

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
How about the Prout that capsized at anchor earlier this year or the Atlantic 57 or the Atlantic 42 or the FP 35 or this boat in Galvaston Bay...

Race result are simply indicators of the result we can expect to see in the future. As more and more multis are built and sold we'll see more capsizes.

Around here we are friendly to multi's, we let them come play in our regattas and happily "pluck the crews out of the water" when required. Obviously that is not the case in your area, witness QCYC, CYCA or RYCT.
So how about the Chicago - Mac race this year. How many multihulls flipped? NONE How many monohulls flipped? ONE

Maybe race results are indicators.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran