Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2011, 14:22   #106

Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

DOT, that is an absolutely true statement! That boat capsized, stayed inverted floating and drowned two sailors. Just like a multi hull does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
So how about the Chicago - Mac race this year. How many multihulls flipped? NONE How many monohulls flipped? ONE

Maybe race results are indicators.
Old 21-11-2011, 14:23   #107

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

This is one of the more entertaining threads I've read in a while....
MINE IS BETTER.....NO NO MINE IS BETTER .........NOT EVEN MINE IS BETTER......
I'M TELLING MOM.......
Old 21-11-2011, 14:26   #108

Boat: PETERSON 44

looks to me from the shots the port ama is flooded.No bouyancy.
Having owned and sailed a f-27 I can say it was very seaworthy. I was probably the greatest threat. It was fast and I loved the acceslaeration. having never flipped it I could never be sure quite where the uhhohh point was. I am not sure how close I got but I certainly kept pushing it up a tad when I had the opportunity. If I had flipped it It would not have been the designs fault. Now on a mono when the water is getting up to the rails I am no longer sailing as fast I can and am over canvassed. Unlikely tp pass the uhh ohh point. Now if I am racing I am more likely to be caught over canvased so uhhoohhh has a better potential. Its a very different type of sailing racing or multi hull sailing very different. Comparing static numbers just wont prove out. Its like saying your more likely to wreck a tractor trailer then a Porsche. My experience what its worth having sailed both for more then a few years.
Old 21-11-2011, 14:26   #109

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
This is one of the more entertaining threads I've read in a while....
MINE IS BETTER.....NO NO MINE IS BETTER .........NOT EVEN MINE IS BETTER......
I'M TELLING MOM.......

AND WE STILL DON'T HAVE THE FACTS OF THE CAPSIZE.

Is there anybody in galverston??
Old 21-11-2011, 14:28   #110

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

From personal experiance i have Never capsized a cat or multyhull of any type. I have capsized many times in monohulls. usualy kayaks but sometimes small sailing boats, the boat in my profile picture was so unstable i would struggle to get 10 meters upright at a time.
I dont think this adds greatly to the debate as it appears to have gone into the rant territory.

Smile lets all play nicely now
Old 21-11-2011, 15:16   #111

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
DOT, that is an absolutely true statement! That boat capsized, stayed inverted floating and drowned two sailors. Just like a multi hull does?
No, they died of blunt force trauma.

How could the sacred monohull do such a thing?

Had enough absurdity yet?

Quote:
..........I've seen dozens of multi's upside down and no sunken monos.
BTW, in order to see sunken monos, try scuba gear.
Old 21-11-2011, 15:22   #112

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

BTW, in order to see sunken monos, try scuba gear.

Correction - Most ocecanic sinkings are beyond the safe range of SCUBA.
Old 21-11-2011, 15:39   #113

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Time to unsubscribe to this thread.
Old 21-11-2011, 15:49   #114

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I too have owned and raced on both multihulls and monos and prefer multis from a pure speed standpoint,there is just no comparison but the old saying ,different horses for different courses sure applies. i hate to say it but Joli is not wrong in his assesment of multies in races on the great lakes, they have a misserable record of capsize in a racing enviroment, it seems worse than elswhere, just a feeling, and, no, we dont have a lot of sinking monos. But, i cant think of a cruising cat flipping either. Regarding the Mac 36, there are over 300 of them out there, many are used as charter boats, there is one in Port Aransas,TX that has been carrying passengers for hire for 30 years, i did a lot of research before i bought mine and including the subject of this thread, i know of 2 that have flipped, the other one was at anchor in a hurricane in Belize many years ago, they have an enviable safety record. The one shown in this thread looks to me to have had the factory installed foam bouyancy removed otherwise it would not be down by the stern like that, those boats have so much foam installed that "sunk" is a mere inconvienience, you can keep on sailing while you pump it out. They also came with a masthead float and a righting system involving the 21ft spinnaker pole and a large water bag. I think to this day they offer the most potential speed for the buck of any boat ever built in the USA.
Steve.
Old 21-11-2011, 16:30   #115

Boat: L42

Quote:
I guess that is why we we don't see things the same way. I've seen dozens of multi's upside down and no sunken monos. Maybe the folks here take better care of systems below the waterline because we have a season that requires annual haul outs. We have time to service and maintain seacocks and hoses.
Can't believes some of you are rising to the bait. There really is only two possibilities, he is trying to stir it up and get people pissed off, or he is completely ignorant about the subject.

It is time to unsubscribe, not really much left to learn from those who genuinely have something to offer. Its a shame that we always have to end up with the same old crap.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:08   #116

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Exit,,,stage right...I'm done here
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-11-2011, 17:56   #117

Boat: Ct 37
Well from reading all this I'll stick with my opinion that all boats that go sailing no matter of what type there is risk just slightly different depending on the boat. It is all in the cap't and crew the boat can't be blamed for human stupidity. A good crew can sail a crappy boat RTW a crappy crew can't sail across the bay with the safest boat. So I guess my point is that all the boat bashing is childish and stupid because it all in the crew
Old 21-11-2011, 18:47   #118

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I think the truthhere is that multihull racers push their boats tothe edge and sometimes beyond. Monohulllers toobusy worrying about getti.g a scratch on theirboat or spilling some tea n crumpets. Multi hullers gotz cajones!!!!!
Old 21-11-2011, 20:53   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Just when you think the level of conversation can't sink any lower someone goes and proves you wrong.

Old 21-11-2011, 23:33   #120

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Quote:
It seems to be more probable for a for a multi to flip then it is for a mono to sink

Take the 2011 RTIR with 1908 entries racing as an example. The monos had 1,862 entires, the multis had 46 entries. The race was in rough conditions 12~15 footers in a fresh breeze (+30 knots). For this race, none of the mono's sunk but 3 multi's flipped. 6.5% of the multi fleet ended upside down, the equivelent percentage of sinking would have been 121 mono's.

Draw your own conclusions.
Why not compare something that both kinds of boats can do equally well, say hit rocks? Catamarans have two hulls so should hit twice as often, but monomarans, with their self righting gear, can hit deeper rocks. No doubt that insurance company statistics can tell us which occurs with the greater frequency and which is more costly to repair. It is likely that everyone could agree on the cause of hitting rocks - poor navigation by the skipper, but the statistics could be calculated based on contacts per square meter of submerged area just to be fair.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran