Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2020, 04:51   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Catamaran Crossbeam Cleats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post

The Wynn's video right?

My question is why did they do that instead of using the bridle they normally use for anchoring and mooring. They definitely have those and know how to use it.

Maybe they also cleat their anchor bridle of to the crossbeam cleats.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 05:12   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran Crossbeam Cleats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Is this the cleat?
Than that is much better suited. It is mostly oriented along the load axis and it's close to the beam bearing.

The cleat on the Wynns boat is 90degrees to the load path and about a third of the 1/2 beam width out towards the centerline.
No surprise the yard fears for the rigging if this is overloaded.Attachment 229142
Yup that's it.. the cleats also serve to hold the lashings in situ.. a strong set up.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 05:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Maybe they also cleat their anchor bridle of to the crossbeam cleats.
In previous videos they have the bridle connected to the proper points on the crossbeam to hull joint. They were using mooring lines in the video instead of their bridle.

Maybe for some reason their bridle was out of commission. Or maybe they felt it wasnt long enough and didn't have time to splice a new one.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 05:46   #19

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

This pic using their bridle also is using the anchor(vs mooring ball)
It would be curious to see if they have ever actually used their bridle for a mooring ball. We do not because of the length and the attachment point(chain hook) so it is easier to use 2 dock lines, much like they did.
Quote:
In previous videos they have the bridle connected to the proper points on the crossbeam to hull joint. They were using mooring lines in the video instead of their bridle.

Maybe for some reason their bridle was out of commission.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 05:51   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Maybe for some reason their bridle was out of commission. Or maybe they felt it wasnt long enough and didn't have time to splice a new one.

I don’t care for that type bridle setup. I like to have a bridle that is easily adjustable, able to be let go immediately and the ability to store in a line locker while underway.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 15:41   #21

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi, as we are all speculating, I thought I ask them directly.

They were kind enough to reply and pin it at the top of the comments of that video.

Here is what they said, it speaks for them that they confirm it was a mistake.):

Hello Everyone!

There is some debate about how we tied up to our mooring ball in this video and we wanted to clear up the questions. Here’s the video link at the moment we start tying up: https://youtu.be/HBWdOGVFBc8?t=1120 WE DID IT WRONG!

We attached to our crossbeam which is not meant for taking heavy loads (i.e. heavy winds/weather). We should have attached to our bridal (which is a pain the butt to attach to a mooring on our boat…aka, we were being lazy). We underestimated Mother Nature. We based our preparations too strongly on the weather predictions. We did not follow that age old adage: Prepare for the Worst and Hope for the Best! We expected 30 knots or so of wind and a small tropical storm. The system sat on top of Vava’u for nearly 2 days while it built and formed into a category one cyclone (named ZAZU).

Fortunately, we learned this lesson without any consequence. When the winds started building to 40-knots we knew we were under-secured to our mooring. We did man the helm and continuously checked our holding. Once Tropical Cyclone ZAZU passed, in preparation for tropical cyclone YASA (a category 4 cyclone), we beefed up our holding to the mooring.

Which we showed on our Instagram stories (@the_wynns) under the cyclone highlights. Here’s what we did to beef up our holding in preparation for the big cyclone: *Main Lines*: 2 Lines run to the anchor bridal ring. 2 slacked lines run to the outside forward cleats with chafe guard. *1st Backup*: Large Anchor line tied to mooring chain (3 links below the shackle) attached at anchor bridal ring. *2nd Backup*: Slacked lines to the crossbeam

We suggest if you’re prepping for a cyclone you should discuss techniques with your boat manufacturer and talk to the local boaters as they may have insight that’s worth consideration.
Old 22-12-2020, 15:46   #22

Boat: Colegate 26

I have crossbeam cleats on my Fountaine Pajot and use them for mooring balls but never anything over about 20kts. Even then I thought it was a lot.

I intend to move my mooring ball lines to the same anchor bridle rigging location for 2021 but still need to figure out a good way to do that. Most people / mooring facilities say to not use a mooring hook, so I'm not sure how to easily make that arrangement work. Suggestions?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 15:56   #23

Quote:

[/SIZE][/FONT]
Well done Franziska.....mystery solved!
Old 23-12-2020, 20:57   #24

Boat: Hanse 348

Lagoon specifically told me NOT to tie up to the crossbar. There were no cleats on there, I wanted to put some on to make it easier to tie up to my mooring. They said no.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 23:40   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Just like my mama used to say or was it forest? Stupid is?..:..

I have replaced Leopard beams that were damaged by a hired “Captain” forgetting to untie a bow line during a sea trial. That was the engine thrust again a floating dock on the standard polyester SA docklines provided by Leopard. Tore the cleat weld/off the beam, and significantly deformed the side wall of extrusion. And that was just the engines.
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 06:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Just like my mama used to say or was it forest? Stupid is?..:..

I have replaced Leopard beams that were damaged by a hired “Captain” forgetting to untie a bow line during a sea trial. That was the engine thrust again a floating dock on the standard polyester SA docklines provided by Leopard. Tore the cleat weld/off the beam, and significantly deformed the side wall of extrusion. And that was just the engines.
I'm VERY surprised the Wynns didn't damage their crossbeam with the 40 knot winds they experienced prior to the re-do.
Old 24-12-2020, 08:23   #27

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:

They were kind enough to reply and pin it at the top of the comments of that video.

Here is what they said, it speaks for them that they confirm it was a mistake.):

Hello Everyone!

There is some debate about how we tied up to our mooring ball in this video and we wanted to clear up the questions. Here’s the video link at the moment we start tying up: https://youtu.be/HBWdOGVFBc8?t=1120 WE DID IT WRONG!

We attached to our crossbeam which is not meant for taking heavy loads (i.e. heavy winds/weather). We should have attached to our bridal (which is a pain the butt to attach to a mooring on our boat…aka, we were being lazy). We underestimated Mother Nature. We based our preparations too strongly on the weather predictions. We did not follow that age old adage: Prepare for the Worst and Hope for the Best! We expected 30 knots or so of wind and a small tropical storm. The system sat on top of Vava’u for nearly 2 days while it built and formed into a category one cyclone (named ZAZU).

Fortunately, we learned this lesson without any consequence. When the winds started building to 40-knots we knew we were under-secured to our mooring. We did man the helm and continuously checked our holding. Once Tropical Cyclone ZAZU passed, in preparation for tropical cyclone YASA (a category 4 cyclone), we beefed up our holding to the mooring.

Which we showed on our Instagram stories (@the_wynns) under the cyclone highlights. Here’s what we did to beef up our holding in preparation for the big cyclone: *Main Lines*: 2 Lines run to the anchor bridal ring. 2 slacked lines run to the outside forward cleats with chafe guard. *1st Backup*: Large Anchor line tied to mooring chain (3 links below the shackle) attached at anchor bridal ring. *2nd Backup*: Slacked lines to the crossbeam

We suggest if you’re prepping for a cyclone you should discuss techniques with your boat manufacturer and talk to the local boaters as they may have insight that’s worth consideration.

I'm not an IG user but I think this is what they're talking about as their "cyclone highlights".

https://www.instagram.com/stories/hi...7833787/?hl=en

I don't know if that URL is going to work or not?

They definitely attached more lines, but the primary load is still on the cross beam. I don't think they understand what people are having a concern with.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cleats, ssb