Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2013, 05:32   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Catamaran Cruising

Every cat will have bridge deck wave slap depending on the size and direction of the waves = noise. That you can get used to. What is difficult to get over is slamming, where the boat creates hydraulic pressure and stops moving up and down. That really rattles the ship.

MDgale,
I see you are new on the forum, welcome.
There are probably about 100 threads on CF that discuss bridge deck clearance and wave slamming. Search “catamaran bridge deck clearance”. Go to the search tab, and use the second option "Google Custom Search".
Old 15-05-2013, 05:44   #17

Boat: Privilege 37

Bridge deck clearance is a major factor in slamming, but not the only one.

The design of the hull under the bridgedeck has a large part to play in the force of the slamming, and an even larger part in ensuring that slamming does not lead to damage.
Old 15-05-2013, 06:06   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Having owned a smaller cat, 32 feet, my experience is that cats are generally much noisier than monos, especially offshore. Whether or not you get used to it I can't tell you--I never did in more than 12 years of ownership. Most of the time it was not particularly objectionable, but during an offshore gale the sound level can become very tiring. By contrast, we once owned a heavy and deep wooden boat that was super quiet down below, even offshore. It was certainly more restful going down below during bad weather. Having been aboard a lot of larger cats at anchor and coastwise sailing, they are just noisier, on average, than most monos. There are always pluses and minuses of every design and type of boat.
Old 17-05-2013, 00:18   #19

Boat: Seahorse 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Having owned a smaller cat, 32 feet, my experience is that cats are generally much noisier than monos, especially offshore. Whether or not you get used to it I can't tell you--I never did in more than 12 years of ownership. Most of the time it was not particularly objectionable, but during an offshore gale the sound level can become very tiring. By contrast, we once owned a heavy and deep wooden boat that was super quiet down below, even offshore. It was certainly more restful going down below during bad weather. Having been aboard a lot of larger cats at anchor and coastwise sailing, they are just noisier, on average, than most monos. There are always pluses and minuses of every design and type of boat.
Many thanks Kettlewell :-)
mdgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 00:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Every cat will have bridge deck wave slap depending on the size and direction of the waves = noise. That you can get used to. What is difficult to get over is slamming, where the boat creates hydraulic pressure and stops moving up and down. That really rattles the ship.

MDgale,
I see you are new on the forum, welcome.
There are probably about 100 threads on CF that discuss bridge deck clearance and wave slamming. Search “catamaran bridge deck clearance”. Go to the search tab, and use the second option "Google Custom Search".
Many thanks Palarran :-)
Old 17-05-2013, 00:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Bridge deck clearance is a major factor in slamming, but not the only one.

The design of the hull under the bridgedeck has a large part to play in the force of the slamming, and an even larger part in ensuring that slamming does not lead to damage.
Many thanks Talbot
Old 17-05-2013, 00:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
yeah forward berth is the worst place to be. The 380 tends to pivot around the helm so the further away from there, the more the motion. I think most of the noise isn't from waves on the bridgedeck, its from waves slapping the sides of the hulls. They are large and slab like and remain vertical, unlike mono's where the hull is usually at a 45 degree angle. The larger vertical fibreglass amplifies the sounds like a drum. We haven't found it to be a problem, but I've never tried to sleep in the foreward cabin in bad conditions either.
Many thanks Monte!
Old 17-05-2013, 02:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
Let me say at the outset, I am not very experienced with cats having only been involved with 1 delivery several years ago from Sydney to Mackay. I was just as amazed as you with the degree of wave impact noise. I am told its all to do with bridge deck clearance and the particular cats that both you and I travelled on obviously musn't have had enough of it. From memory it was not an issue with following seas which is what we all like to find anyway.
Thanks Sabbatical
Old 19-05-2013, 19:38   #24

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

The shape of the underside of a catamaran would make for an interesting design debate.
In that spirit, any Lerouge owners who can attest to the 'quieter' shape of these particular cats.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruising