Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2019, 06:43   #1

Catamaran inspector in Scappoose Oregon

Hi, I am looking at getting an inspector for a project 65 feet catamaran in Scappoose Oregon. Is anybody have any recommendation by any chance?
Fili.John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 04:43   #2

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Catamaran inspector in Scappoose Oregon

No, but one of the most multihull knowledgeable people on your coast is Kurt Hughes, who might be able to direct you to somebody reliable.

Kurt Hughes Design boats for sale

KHSD boat Videos

Tel: 206.719.4893

Email: Kurt Hughes

khughes@multihulldesigns.com
Slater's Landing
3123 Fairview Ave E.
Suite D
Seattle, WA 98102
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 06:33   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

This catamaran project that you are looking at is not going to be worth the trouble. I don't think that there is even a way to launch the thing. (you can find it on google earth). If you did get it launched it will cost you a fortune to dock it. That boat will likely never be fit for sea. If you found a way to launch it and a place to moor it it could be a decent "floating home" but nothing more. You might want to ask the seller if the hulls were built to a design, if there were plans, or a qualified designer. If not, definitely forget about it. You don't want to end up like Hot Rod and the Flyin Hawaiian. (you can google that)
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 02:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
This catamaran project that you are looking at is not going to be worth the trouble. I don't think that there is even a way to launch the thing. (you can find it on google earth). If you did get it launched it will cost you a fortune to dock it. That boat will likely never be fit for sea. If you found a way to launch it and a place to moor it it could be a decent "floating home" but nothing more. You might want to ask the seller if the hulls were built to a design, if there were plans, or a qualified designer. If not, definitely forget about it. You don't want to end up like Hot Rod and the Flyin Hawaiian. (you can google that)
Why do you say it will never be fit for sea?
Fili.John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 03:03   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Fili.John that aft wheel house looks terrible in the pictures, but maybe that’s your thing? When you look at the photos there seems to be a lot of construction plywood and pine timber used? No radius in the bulkheads where the doors have been cut? The interior glass work on the hulls looks pretty rough? There appears no camber on the deck and the structure under the deck looks a bit light for a 65 footer? The hulls on the exterior look pretty good and there appears to be some double bias fibreglass cloth used on the inside which is better than chop strand mat. It would be interesting to get a professional opinion on her, maybe the issues I mentioned are easy to fix?
Moving her should be easy enough........we moved a 50 foot cat 200km. It cost $5000 Australian 5 years ago. We used a house removal firm, they backed their hydraulic trailer under the boat and picked her up. The hardest part was getting the 25 foot beam around a few corners.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 04:24   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili.John View Post
Why do you say it will never be fit for sea?
I’ve seen your posts on another thread; it might help if you share your intent with the group. Are you a builder with some unique idea of cutting the top off and just using the hulls, or you’ve never built a boat but like the looks of this thing and want to make a go of it? Or something else?
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 05:28   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

FWIW That boat is at Lighthouse Marina and about 100' from the water. There is a boat ramp very close but if that's an issue then using a crane would be very straightforward. Just pick it up and set it in the water. You can see it on Google Earth.
Old 17-02-2019, 19:15   #8

Dear Fili.John, I am the surviving partner/owner of the 65' Cat that you are interested in, located Scappoose, OR.

While I can appreciate the comments made on the forum by those who may or may not have seen the project in person, I can assure you that she is stout and well built. My late partner was registered with the Coast Guard as NBC, Neal Boat Company. Supplies were purchased mainly through Composites One in Vancouver, WA.

I have complete photographic documentation of the build from the beginning which details the materials, processes, etc. What most people can't tell from looking at her is that the structure of the bridge deck (main span area) is 12" thick. It is multiple layers of fiberglass, vertical stringers every 12", fully foamed with expanding closed cell foam over which is a fully splined layer of 3/4" marine plywood and ON TOP OF THAT is 3/4" hand laid solid wood flooring. Just the span deck is built better than most production boats.

I would be pleased to discuss the project with you directly.
Please contact me at your soonest convenience.
Kind regards
BlkBarbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 19:31   #9

https://moreboats.com/boats/custom/catamaran/194301

Is that true about the 'price drop' ?

Quote:
Vercoe Yacht Sales presents this Catamaran 2017 Custom Catamaran boat for sale.

Price drop! Originally listed at $6,000,000 now only $100,000
The boat located in Scappoose, Oregon and ready for viewing
The listing has been updated about 9 hours ago and on a market since May 5th 2018
Contact Vercoe Yacht Sales with any questions about this Custom Catamaran by filling up the Contact form or call (877) 478-4676

To see full description of this boat from the seller click on the Seller Description tab above.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 14:59   #10

Fili.John, You may want to contact Surveyor, Larry Goodson surveyor@offshoreyacht.us
website: Larry Goodson, Marine Surveyor, Inc. – Serving the Pacific Northwest since 2003

He surveyed another boat at the same marina and is familiar with the exterior and the location. I will be arriving in Portland on Feb 27 and could bring the construction photos for him to view, as well as yourself of course.
Old 18-02-2019, 15:17   #11

Island Hopper, Price drop is correct. The project as it sits has been dropped to $100K. This does not include the brokerage fee if transacted through Vercoe Yacht Sales. Stewart Carter is the contact person at VYS.
Old 23-07-2019, 13:36   #12

I have been trying to get in contact with the owner, if anyone has information please pass it on to me

islander53polaris@gmail.com or pm
Islander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:36   #13

Boat: TBD

Vaguely on topic. Trying to get a response from Stewart Carter of Vercoe Yacht Sales.

Have a phone number from a local harbormaster although no response to to text or voicemail. Could just be the time of year.

Stewart, are you out there?

Interested in an ODay you may have in your inventory.
Alfatipo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, oregon